Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #46
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
i havent read the whole thread..one thing sprang to my mind straight away Hayabusa

Been covered. I certainly respect the mighty Busa, but I'm looking for a lighter machine with a shorter wheel base that can flick better.

A gentleman posted one earlier (blue, late model) that was beautiful. That picture made me consider one...

I've thought much about the Busa / 14 option. I'm sure I'd love the punch, but crave more flickability.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #47
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Croak, you sir, fucking rock.

This is why I love forums, especially this one. I sincerely appreciate you time and knowledge. I make it to B.C. sometimes, perhaps I'll find me a good 955i
(second gen of course) set it up, and ride up to buy you a beer.
You'd need to take a plane or boat to buy me that beer unless you're pretty quick. :)

I'm leaving BC at the end of the month to Malta to work for a few years. And I'll be shopping for a used bike over there pretty soon. Since most cars and bikes on Malta are imported used from the UK, there's a fair chance I'll be looking at a 2nd Gen D955i myself. :)
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #48
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 320
Like many people have said already, any of the modern day superbikes will fit the bill for you.

I ran all over California on a 2007 GSXR600 for awhile. Other than a cramped neck every so often, I enjoyed it. The limited tank range was welcomed cause it made me take a regular break.

My suggestion is a Suzuki. Fit and finish sucks, fairing hardware is cheap, and the more recent model plastic fairings are really flimsy compared to something pre-2005 range, but they always built and offered solid, reliable and long-lasting motor.

Had a Hayabusa also for a longtime. The bitch had almost 68,000 miles on it and still ran like a champ.

Also, get something with a side-exhaust. You need to take special care when strapping on a travel bags on the pillion seat when dealing with undertails. My buddy lost a strap on a R1 because of heat so we had to use duct-tape to keep his shit for rest of the trip which was a pain in the ass.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #49
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
The triples do have more low end torque and a better curve than a four , but you said you were looking for FAST.

joexr screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 09:40 AM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #50
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
You'd need to take a plane or boat to buy me that beer unless you're pretty quick. :)

I'm leaving BC at the end of the month to Malta to work for a few years. And I'll be shopping for a used bike over there pretty soon. Since most cars and bikes on Malta are imported used from the UK, there's a fair chance I'll be looking at a 2nd Gen D955i myself. :)
Come by Cyprus sometime, i got one you can ride.

The big Daytona is not a Japanese superbike. Bit longer, bit heavier, bit bigger, blah blah blah. However, everything that makes it a "lesser" track bike, makes it a truly outstanding "real world" sport bike. And it's not slow. The power is so linear that in combination with the rather tall stock gearing you'll get caught by surprise when you realize you're doing a buck twenty and climbing.

Here's mine when i first got it:

After a mod or three:

New clip-ons (wider and flatter angle)

This shot i just kinda like:

Hanging out with older sister:

And putzing around the island:

Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #51
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
I did it with my blackbird and loved it. Busa or ZX14 would be excellent too, somthing to consider is if you still plan on doing 500-600 mile days you are still going to want something heavy enough not to get blown off the road in a storm, and also something with a wide ratio gearbox comes to mind. More cc's will always feel nicer at the end of the day instead of wringing out a 600 all day, Just a few thoughts

VFR would work too if you don't care about power
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #52
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I won't bash on the Triumph choice (I recently acquired two), but you really should consider a Bandit.

My 955i Triumph is more refined in many ways, but it's not as comfortable. And in a shoot out the Bandit would slaughter the 955i.

Basically it's an already revamped GSXR.

Here's my old broad on a recent jaunt. It's the final punctuation mark on a century of carburated air cooled bikes. It uses tech where it would be stupid to ignore and uses "old school" where there was nothing broken that needed fixing.

1157cc of doesn't suck. You could of course buy a newer injected model, add a radiator, some weight, etc. But why?
Corbin seat, great peg location, street bike bars. Great ergo.

Edit: I will admit that this thread slid a 955i Daytona up to "must acquire" right after I get an 800XC
aftCG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #53
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,746
Add me to the now looking at the Daytona list. They weren't even a blip on my radar until this thread. Instead of my list getting narrowed down, it's expanding.

Damn you all!
Jimmy the Heater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #54
gto3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftCG View Post
I won't bash on the Triumph choice (I recently acquired two), but you really should consider a Bandit.

My 955i Triumph is more refined in many ways, but it's not as comfortable. And in a shoot out the Bandit would slaughter the 955i.

Here's my old broad on a recent jaunt. It's the final punctuation mark on a century of carburated air cooled bikes. It uses tech where it would be stupid to ignore and uses "old school" where there was nothing broken that needed fixing.

1157cc of doesn't suck. You could of course buy a newer injected model, add a radiator, some weight, etc. But why?
Corbin seat, great peg location, street bike bars. Great ergo.

Edit: I will admit that this thread slid a 955i Daytona up to "must acquire" right after I get an 800XC

I've never really considered getting a bandit,but I really like this one.hhmmm...maybe next year i'll look into one of these...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #55
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftCG View Post

In what way would the Bandit slaughter the Daytona?

Not being snippy, just genuinely curious.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #56
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
I'm curious too, what with a 50+ pound weight disadvantage, a 51 horsepower deficit and less torque, all tied into a more flexible perimeter frame and much lower spec suspension bits.

Don't get me wrong, the air-cooled Bandit 1200 was a reliable workhorse of a bike and one of the great big bore values of the 90's, but it's not competitive with the 2002+ Daytona 955i in anything other than comfort and price.

EDIT: I see, you were comparing the Bandit to your Sprint, not a Daytona 955i. Chalk and cheese, though as a current 955 Sprint St owner and having my share of ass time on the big Bandits, even the Bandit 1250 comes up short compared to the 955 Sprint ST in most regards, other than cost of ownership (though the "gap" was closer on the '99-01 Sprints, before the revised motor and weight reduction).

Croak screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 10:00 PM
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #57
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Yeah I should have made it clear that I'm talking about the Sprint. My observation is based on owning both and giving them the business on a "butt dyno" basis.
My Bandit isn't stock either (Holeshot stage 2), so that helps. For the first several rides I kept going back and forth trying to decide which is faster, but the bandit above 7000 rpm is brutally fast.
I've also been riding the bandit every day and thousands of miles, so I am comfortable throwing it at pretty much any situation.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Sprint and I didn't want to (I got it for dirt, and figured I'd get it running and flip it). I LOVE the triple motor and the Sprint brakes are incredible. It's anything but upright standard seating though, and I have risers on mine. By comparison the bandit is like one of those Stressless chairs.
aftCG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #58
BrookTrout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
I've thought much about the Busa / 14 option. I'm sure I'd love the punch, but crave more flickability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
...if you still plan on doing 500-600 mile days you are still going to want something heavy enough not to get blown off the road in a storm, and also something with a wide ratio gearbox comes to mind. More cc's will always feel nicer at the end of the day instead of wringing out a 600 all day, Just a few thoughts...
This is a huge consideration for a "touring" bike. Flickability is always second place to non-buzzy-stability at highway speeds all day long. Torque is the other reason to take a big cc over the others.

I toured for a summer on a very "flickable" Ducati 900SS. I didn't last nearly as long in the saddle as I do with the big 1300. The Ducati was fun when the road was curved, but when you pile on 400-600 miles in a day, most of the roads are not curved. At 90 mph on the freeway, the Ducati felt like I was on my old Schwinn Varsity.

You can tour on any sport bike. To make touring practical on a sport bike, it needs to be a bigger one.
BrookTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #59
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
First thing you have to decide is what kind of touring you want to do. I bought a VFR800 & decided after a bit that I wanted to tour. Checked out the Honda ST 1300. While a great touring bike if you like the interstate it was to big & too heavy for what I wanted.

I bought a Blackbird & toured on it for a time. That one turned out to be major overkill. Yeah, you could pass anything in an instant, however I noticed that the bike wasn't really happy under about 95 mph. Comfortable, yes, smooth, very, torque, plenty. For an interstate bike it is perfect--assuming you can hold it down. After two 95+ mph tickets, I decided it wasn't worth it. Also, I like to ride back roads more & had to muscle that one on those.

I started touring on the VFR. Ran from SoCal to IL for a hamburger twice, did 4K miles in 8 days through several states twice--all on backroads-no interstates. And stealth camped--no hotels involved. I've run over to AZ for lunch more than once. Plus up to Spearfish SD twice. I have found that you can run 70-75 mph pretty much anywhere & the VFR is happy there. I can run with about any bike on the road--if I can't stay with them, I can keep them in sight. If they need to go faster than 140 mph, I let 'em.

My guess is that the OP doesn't really tour or he would realize that you don't need a 180 mph bike to do that on. There isn't anywhere you can run like that for very long without attracting the wrong kind of attention.... If you really need to, I still have the Black bird...

All that said, I am looking at yet another bike. I was thinking about a newer VFR VTEC, however reading this thread now has me seriously considering the 955 Daytona. Oh, and I have a Tiger 1050 too...along with an Aprilia Mille. That one is for sure not a touring bike.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #60
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
I did it with my blackbird and loved it. Busa or ZX14 would be excellent too, somthing to consider is if you still plan on doing 500-600 mile days you are still going to want something heavy enough not to get blown off the road in a storm, and also something with a wide ratio gearbox comes to mind. More cc's will always feel nicer at the end of the day instead of wringing out a 600 all day, Just a few thoughts

VFR would work too if you don't care about power
He's already poo poo'ed all of those excellent choices because they're not "flickable" enough...because laptimes count when you're sport-touring.
IBA #55309
kwb377 is offline   Reply With Quote