Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #61
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
He's already poo poo'ed all of those excellent choices because they're not "flickable" enough...because laptimes count when you're sport-touring.
He already discounted a VFR800 which is more flickable then either. His only options are really supersport bikes.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #62
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
Of course a stock blackbird isn't flickable.

Take a $5000 used blackbird, put a Penske on the rear and raise up the back end, re-build the fork, throw some PR3's, drop ~17lbs with a full exhaust and you'll be able to keep up with an average rider on a motard. My bird stock was bad, really really bad. By the time I was done with it though it was as capable as anything out there in the corners as long as you weren't going fast enough to drag your knee.

But if you really insists on a race-replica, just get a 929 and mount some higher bars, done deal. I know a good hand surgeon when your carpal tunnel starts getting bad, just PM me when you need him.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #63
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,386
I toured on my 954rr.....superbike bar kit, sargent seat, giant loop back and buell pegs. I'm 6' 195lbs. It was a blast!

However, I did go buy a Concours 14 and it too, is a blast.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #64
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
He already discounted a VFR800 which is more flickable then either. His only options are really supersport bikes.
+1...except true supersports are eliminated by the cc requirement.

I've found the Hypersport class -Hyabusa/ZX14/K1300S/VFR12 -
Are the best compromise for me, since touring (and some unavoidable slab) is part of the equation. If I wanted light, comfortable and flickable, something like the Kaw ER6-N looks like a lot of fun. But since that (along with the obvious choice of the VFR800) has been precluded by the 1000cc requirement, and the FZ1 has been ruled out, a liter-class sport bike with risers is the only choice left. I'd tour on one of those if it were my only choice...but that's the ONLY reason I'd do it.

*edit*. Although I will say the Triumph Daytona 955 is a great suggestion. I'm a triple fan, for sure.

Unleaded screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 04:11 PM
Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #65
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
He's already poo poo'ed all of those excellent choices because they're not "flickable" enough...because laptimes count when you're sport-touring.

So, my idea does not agree with your method?

I must have no idea what it is that Im doing. I must have no "REAL" touring experience...

it's a pretty common habit of humans to disregard others ideas if they don't match their own.

I am different than you. I don't want to do it like you do it, I prefer different things. I have an idea and I thought I would discuss it here.

I have no concern for lap times, or any speed over 120mph. I simply like the feel of a litre bike, I want that feel, and I do not want to be uncomfortable while doing it.

I had a VFR800. I have never been on a more capable, yet utterly boring bike in my life. It did everything nearly perfectly, yet managed to create nearly no involvement or excitement, I'd rather have a backache on an R1...

Many of you have offered some good insights, thank you.

You others, stop being so critical of opposing thought processes. It takes all sorts...
Old 04-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #66
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I am confused, you say you want a RR bike but you must sitt upright becouse of back and neck pain?
Peg lowers and bar riserers will give you a more comfort. Thers plenty of luggage options for RR bikes.
Personaly i whould get the Kawasaki Z1000SX if i should go down in size from my ZZR1400.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #67
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
You can't have it all, you're going to have to deal with the discomforts of a liter bike and give up a HUGE amount of touring features and aneminites for that literbike "feel" that you'd forget about anyway on a well set up Busa/XX/14 in less than 5K miles anyway.

It's not just about comfort either, shaft drives, hard bags, weather protection, cruise control, it won't seem much like a compromise after you experience the luxuries. I mean, how fast do you need to go on the street? Get a sport-touring bike and a used racebike for the track.

It's fun being different, but that doesn't mean you have to do it on a torture rack. Simply touring on a motorcycle makes you different from 99.9% of the other people on the planet!
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #68
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 586
The idea isn't to be different for the sake of being different. I have always just thought that there should be a way to get a reasonably comfortable bike with the performance of a CBR1K. I'm surprised that more people don't do this...

I can go stupid fast on my old tired Monster 900. You can go stupid fast on anything over 200cc's. Contrary to the way I've made it sound, I'm not looking to go stupid fast. I just want an exciting bike that I can do a 200-400 mile day on and be mostly alright. I know that I can never get ST/FJR/C14 comfort/luxury out of this set up.

I have a 1983 CB1000 Custom, that looks like the day it was made, that I have set up for touring. My girlfriend will NOT allow me to sell it. We have put many, many happy miles on it and it works for us amazingly well us. We are both fairly small and it gives all the room and power that we need, while being perfectly comfortable. Still, when considering a short range, solo tourer, I keep coming back to this idea. It just kinda sucks that nothing like this is made. (Ninja 1000 is kinda close)

I suppose that I don't want to accept that a compromise in necessary. As I said before, I'm surprised that more folks haven't done what I'm talking about. Maybe they haven't done because it really won't work. Or, maybe I'm just a strange one and want what few others do...

Or maybe I should just quit my bitching and go get a Ninja 1000/FZ1 and be done with it...
Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #69
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
I tour mostly on my Tuono and leave the Sprint parked these days.

And we're not talking about a weekend trip, I go out for weeks at a time on the Tuono.

I get where you're coming from.

Some people don't. Those people are why they make FJRs and other road barges, because that's their idea of performance and minimum acceptable comfort.

Nothing wrong with that, tastes, health and physiology vary...but if I ever felt I needed something like an FJR, C14 or KxxGT to do the job, I'm probably better off just taking a car.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #70
gto3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
The idea isn't to be different for the sake of being different. I have always just thought that there should be a way to get a reasonably comfortable bike with the performance of a CBR1K. I'm surprised that more people don't do this...

I can go stupid fast on my old tired Monster 900. You can go stupid fast on anything over 200cc's. Contrary to the way I've made it sound, I'm not looking to go stupid fast. I just want an exciting bike that I can do a 200-400 mile day on and be mostly alright. I know that I can never get ST/FJR/C14 comfort/luxury out of this set up.

I have a 1983 CB1000 Custom, that looks like the day it was made, that I have set up for touring. My girlfriend will NOT allow me to sell it. We have put many, many happy miles on it and it works for us amazingly well us. We are both fairly small and it gives all the room and power that we need, while being perfectly comfortable. Still, when considering a short range, solo tourer, I keep coming back to this idea. It just kinda sucks that nothing like this is made. (Ninja 1000 is kinda close)

I suppose that I don't want to accept that a compromise in necessary. As I said before, I'm surprised that more folks haven't done what I'm talking about. Maybe they haven't done because it really won't work. Or, maybe I'm just a strange one and want what few others do...

Or maybe I should just quit my bitching and go get a Ninja 1000/FZ1 and be done with it...

Alot of people have done it ,are doing it and will continue to do it.Did you check the gsxr thread that was suggested ?.Every question you asked was responded to by the first page and a half of this thread???????????????? have you read the responses ???? and you keep asking which is the most comfortable liter bike right out of the box ? why does it matter if your changing the bars ,pegs and seat ,this is just rediculous... really..........

gto3 screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 03:49 AM
gto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #71
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Man o man, we got a thread goin now fellas!

Oldhippie- I have heard many good things about the comfort of the old ZX9R. Did you have a preference between the year bikes that you had? Was one better than the other?

Gentlemen, I appreciate all of the responses! This is a cool discussion, keep it going!

Very comfortable, many 400+ days and week+ tours. Easy to putt around on and great rush to keep ya interested. Was my go too/everything bike. Only reason I got rid of it was my old sick mind & reflexes just couldn't keep up anymore. Still haven't found a good replacement? The '99 was faster than '02. Forgot what they did to the motor? But both had plenty of power on the street (first stock bike Cycleworld ever tested to do 1/4 in 9s (9.98)) . "02 had beefier swingarm but I couldn't tell the way I ride? I don't really get the 600lb "sport" bikes either. I got a harley for that kind of riding. If I was younger a 1000 ninja would be in my garage.

0ldhippie screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 05:58 AM
0ldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #72
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,729
I'd go at it the opposite way.

Start with a 919 and put the engine back to CBR900RR specs. Full exhaust, etc.

Then, drop some coin on suspenders and tires. Shake and Bake!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #73
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I'd go at it the opposite way.

Start with a 919 and put the engine back to CBR900RR specs. Full exhaust, etc.

Then, drop some coin on suspenders and tires. Shake and Bake!

The 919 motor is fine like it is. Although if you want more, bold on the CBR 900 exhaust and get a power commander. Other than that, the 919 motor can't really be modified economically.

(Good suggestion though, I looove my 919)
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #74
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:

There are tons of riders that put lots of miles on RR bikes with stock ergonomics - I know several and I don't know how they do it but they do. You can install Convertibars or handlebars with an upper tripple conversion then throw some money at lowering the pegs, my guess is you will still end up uncomfortable with a really wheelie-prone money pit of a bike.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #75
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
...with a really wheelie-prone money pit of a bike.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote