User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #91
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Busa,ZX14,XX etc are sportstourers in europe :-D
But he wants a RR bike to tour with, and thats is no problem. The only thing i am dont get is that he wants a upright seating position and even on a Busa and VFR you need more then bar raisers and peg lowers to get that. If i understand correctly he wants a GSXR1000 with the seatinig position of a FZ1?
To me that sounds like Aprilia Tuno V4R, 160 somthing HP smal faring and uprightish position.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #92
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
Not a tank above 5mph.
That's such a stupid argument. You could say an XR100 loses most of it's weight above 5mph.

Stripple:

The '05 and up GSXR1000's have a siginificantly shorter reach to the bars, with Helibars and a lower peg bracket, corbin seat and some hard bags you'd have a really badass race rep-touring bike emphasis on race replica. Mid-range out the wazoo and handling is sublime. You could do all that for around your budget too.
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3714949193.html
Colorado_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #93
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Some of you guys aren't listening. He said sport bike.

Fuckin Lou has a ZX-10 with a Scotts Damper and a set of motocross bars on it. If you ask him, its the fastest, most universal, most adaptable and comfortable bike there is. And he lives down a dirt road, and no issues going up or down it. I would agree that its a pretty bitchin' hoon bike.. You can get your FZ1, but this has 50 more HP and weighs 100lbs less. The numbers really look good on this one.
So there's a fella on here named Fuckin Lou?

Where you at Lou? We need to see pics of this machine!!

I really like the ZX10R. It feels the smallest and seems like the "craziest" of the litre bike bunch. I like crazy.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #94
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
That's such a stupid argument. You could say an XR100 loses most of it's weight above 5mph.

Stripple:

The '05 and up GSXR1000's have a siginificantly shorter reach to the bars, with Helibars and a lower peg bracket, corbin seat and some hard bags you'd have a really badass race rep-touring bike emphasis on race replica. Mid-range out the wazoo and handling is sublime. You could do all that for around your budget too.
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3714949193.html
Colorado Rider- Thanks for the suggestion. That is a big part of what I've been looking for. I figured that there had to be some years of the different litre bikes that had a shorter reach to the bars than others. I was trying to figure out what years, and models in particular could work best.

I've been out of it for so long, and so many models have come out that I havent seen or familiarized myself with.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #95
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Did not read through every page but I just purchased an 03 Z1000 for the same purpose you are looking for. I am doing a 2,000 mile trip on it in September and in the month I have owned it I have already put 1,200 miles on it. Has the power you want and it is comfortable and can be had very inexpensively all day long.

lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #96
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Was the 929 the fastest thing you've ridden? If you jump on a ZX10 be prepared to shit your plants. I rode one and it made my XX and old 929 feel like a scooter. Make sure you really need that much bike first.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #97
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Was the 929 the fastest thing you've ridden? If you jump on a ZX10 be prepared to shit your plants. I rode one and it made my XX and old 929 feel like a scooter. Make sure you really need that much bike first.
No one really needs that much power, but motorcycle isent about needs, its about lust and passion
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #98
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankarnov View Post
cycle-ergo.com is your friend for finding the riding position you want and determining what risers etc you need to tweak it in.
Have you taken this excellent advice and played around with this calculator? When I go with the 2005 GSXR1k using a 6'0 rider w/ 32" inseam, to get 19 degrees of lean which is where a stock Kaw Z1000 is you will need 5" of handlebar rise and 3" further back. You may get close with Convertibars or a handlebar conversion kit with a larger handlebar, but a Genmar or Helibar setup isn't going to do shit for what you are looking for.
Or, you could just buy a Z1000.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #99
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Have you taken this excellent advice and played around with this calculator? When I go with the 2005 GSXR1k using a 6'0 rider w/ 32" inseam, to get 19 degrees of lean which is where a stock Kaw Z1000 is you will need 5" of handlebar rise and 3" further back. You may get close with Convertibars or a handlebar conversion kit with a larger handlebar, but a Genmar or Helibar setup isn't going to do shit for what you are looking for.

Thanks Duke, I'm checking it out right now.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #100
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
I guess I would say that it is the fastest thing that I've been on, unless I'm forgetting some others. I like that "shit your pants feel", without actually shitting your pants for real of course.

If I buy a ZX10R, I'll see if they'll throw in some brown leathers...
Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #101
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Looks like Convertibars has a confirmed installation on an '05 GSXR1k, will give 4" rise and 2" back with intact fairing
https://convertibars.3dcartstores.co...Kit_p_212.html
The LSL handlebar conversion kit shows the same Suzuki with it's fairing removed and notes that fairing modification is required.
Looks like the only option for the GSXR is Convertibars, they will be within a couple inches of a stock Z1000. I'd go sit on a bike with a 23 degree or so lean and see if that's enough, if you would still need further lift I'd scrap the whole idea and buy one of the naked bikes suggested in this thread - with those you can replace with a $50 handlebar to get any position you want.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #102
Ponies ate my Bagel
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
I guess I would say that it is the fastest thing that I've been on, unless I'm forgetting some others. I like that "shit your pants feel", without actually shitting your pants for real of course.

If I buy a ZX10R, I'll see if they'll throw in some brown leathers...
A modern Liter bike isn't anything at all like an older one. Even a 2003 pales in comparison to one from 2010, there have really been some major advancements in power and delivery the past few years.
DRZ400SM with SM/DS wheelsets Sold
2002 Honda VFR Interceptor Went Kablooey!
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #103
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post

Well, after lotsa playing on cycle-ergos.com, looks like I'll be getting a Ninja 1000.

My ST3 is 20% forward lean according to the website, even that bugs me after a while.

Looks like with a $150 bar rise kit for the Ninja 1000, I'll be at 3% lean.

I'm not going to get a GSXR to that position without some ape hangers

Well, I suppose I'll have fun making my N1K a fast fun machine....
Old 04-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #104
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa whoa a Ninja 1000 ain't gonna thrill you anything like a ZX10. I thought you wanted to put up with bad ergos for the thrill of a literbike???? What has this whole thread been about? First you want to put up with anything, not you're afraid of a little lean to the bars?

Look, a GSXR or ZX10 with a LSL bar conversion is all you need. I'm gonna be pissed if you settle for that Ninja 1k dog!

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3343

Colorado_Rider screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 06:50 PM
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #105
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 892
Colorado Rider speaks THE TRUTH...

...get the handlebar conversion kit for a true liter bike and call it a day.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote