ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Ratchdaddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ratchdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: 29 Palms, CA
Oddometer: 171
Condor A350

I've always wanted an old military truck or motorcycle. Well this popped up on CL a few days ago. I had no idea what a Condor was before that. I did some research and called the owner up. Now I am the proud owner of this interesting piece of History.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1694207...7633219489119/
__________________
Ratchdaddy
2014 R1200 GSA
1988 NX250
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rob Farmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire. England
Oddometer: 5,134
There was a thread about them a while back. I'm sure a search will flag it up.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels
 
bmwhacker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: MONTANA NATIVE from NATIVE MONTANA
Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchdaddy View Post
I've always wanted an old military truck or motorcycle. Well this popped up on CL a few days ago. I had no idea what a Condor was before that. I did some research and called the owner up. Now I am the proud owner of this interesting piece of History.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1694207...7633219489119/
Those have always intrigued me.
I used to have a Swiss "Schmidt Ruben straight pull" rifle that they mounted to the sides with special brackets.
Report back on how yours' works out for you.

__________________
http://555navigator.blogspot.com

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Bluestone BowTies
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 10
Check this out:

http://www.benvanhelden.nl/Condorclub/

=> condor info
Bluestone BowTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Ratchdaddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ratchdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: 29 Palms, CA
Oddometer: 171
First ride impressions

The previous owner had butchered the original exhaust and put a louder exhaust on there. I didnt like it and it made the bike backfire and pop a lot. I fixed that yesterday. I have a set of stock sportster pipes and I adapted them to the bike. Much quieter but I still may need to rejet. I really want to get the original exhaust but I havent seen any out there.

I took the bike out on some of the deep sand roads around here. Handles decent, the benefit over my F800gs is that I am lower to the ground so it just seems to be easier. The opposite side shifter takes some getting used to and I need to adjust the brakes some.

I took it out on the street to run through the gears. I seems that about 90kph is about all it wants to do right now. That m

This bike usually kicks over in one kick. It is much easier to kick than my old XT600, especially when hot.

I have always loved the simplicity of older 70-80's bikes and old sporsters but this one is awesome. I am so jazzed.

Oh course this is the first place I checked for info. I found the old threads but they died awhile back.
__________________
Ratchdaddy
2014 R1200 GSA
1988 NX250
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels
 
bmwhacker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: MONTANA NATIVE from NATIVE MONTANA
Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchdaddy View Post
The previous owner had butchered the original exhaust and put a louder exhaust on there. I didnt like it and it made the bike backfire and pop a lot. I fixed that yesterday. I have a set of stock sportster pipes and I adapted them to the bike. Much quieter but I still may need to rejet. I really want to get the original exhaust but I havent seen any out there.

I took the bike out on some of the deep sand roads around here. Handles decent, the benefit over my F800gs is that I am lower to the ground so it just seems to be easier. The opposite side shifter takes some getting used to and I need to adjust the brakes some.

I took it out on the street to run through the gears. I seems that about 90kph is about all it wants to do right now. That m

This bike usually kicks over in one kick. It is much easier to kick than my old XT600, especially when hot.

I have always loved the simplicity of older 70-80's bikes and old sporsters but this one is awesome. I am so jazzed.

Oh course this is the first place I checked for info. I found the old threads but they died awhile back.

I love the old "right side" shifters. Had an old Bennelli years ago. I'd go from right side shift'in to left side shift'in often on days when I went out and exercised various bikes. Just gotta remember which bike yur on when you pull out of the driveway.
__________________
http://555navigator.blogspot.com

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Bluestone BowTies
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 10
Model Condor A 350
Model Condor A350
Military Service Specialised military model supplied to the Swiss armed forces in 1973, for solo despatch and general liaison duties
Military Equipment
Rear carry rack, leather panniers, submachine gun support brackets, additional masked lighting, all-over service livery.
Engine And Transmission Type Ducati-Condor, vertical ohc single cylinder
Capacity 340cc 76x75mm
Comp. ratio 8.2:1
Output 16.6 hp at 5000 rpm
Starting Left foot kick start
Carburettor Single Dell'Orto type VHG 27 AD
Electrics 6v. 70 watt
Clutch Multi-plate, wet
Gearbox Foot-change, 5-speed
Final Exposed chain
Frame And Wheels Type Duplex cradle, tubular construction
Front fork Telescopic, hydraulic damping
Rear forks Trailing, helical sprung
Brakes Internal expanding drum, 200mm diameter front and rear
Tyre size 3.25 x 18" front, 3.50 x 18" rear, road pattern
Dimensions Overall length 2120mm (83.4")
Overall width 825mm (32.4")
Overall height 1160mm (45.6")
Wheelbase 1400mm (55.1")
Ground clearance 170mm (6.6")
Unladen weight 177kg (390lb)
Performance 140km/h (87 mph) max

Same size 350cc ducati engine has 10,2:1 compression, different camshaft and bigger carb so it has more power; 27hp +..desmo has more than 30 hp at 8000 rpm... Condor A350 has good components: forks are Marzocchi, rear shocks Konis and Grimeca brakes but with 16 hp and that weight it has quite poor performance.
Production numbers were: 1973: 500 1974: 715 1975: 715 1976: 715 1977 and 1978: 355 bikes, and all went to Swiss Army.
In Finland here are more than 300 A350 Condor bikes and they are imported from Netherlands.....

Bluestone BowTies screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 11:59 AM
Bluestone BowTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:24 AM   #8
MIOB
Studly Adventurer
 
MIOB's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: A cold, wet, flat place
Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestone BowTies View Post
Model Condor A 350
Model Condor A350
Military Service Specialised military model supplied to the Swiss armed forces in 1973, for solo despatch and general liaison duties
Military Equipment
Rear carry rack, leather panniers, submachine gun support brackets, additional masked lighting, all-over service livery.
Engine And Transmission Type Ducati-Condor, vertical ohc single cylinder
Capacity 340cc 76x75mm
Comp. ratio 8.2:1
Output 16.6 hp at 5000 rpm
Starting Left foot kick start
Carburettor Single Dell'Orto type VHG 27 AD
Electrics 6v. 70 watt
Clutch Multi-plate, wet
Gearbox Foot-change, 5-speed
Final Exposed chain
Frame And Wheels Type Duplex cradle, tubular construction
Front fork Telescopic, hydraulic damping
Rear forks Trailing, helical sprung
Brakes Internal expanding drum, 200mm diameter front and rear
Tyre size 3.25 x 18" front, 3.50 x 18" rear, road pattern
Dimensions Overall length 2120mm (83.4")
Overall width 825mm (32.4")
Overall height 1160mm (45.6")
Wheelbase 1400mm (55.1")
Ground clearance 170mm (6.6")
Unladen weight 177kg (390lb)
Performance 140km/h (87 mph) max

Same size 350cc ducati engine has 10,2:1 compression, different camshaft and bigger carb so it has more power; 27hp +..desmo has more than 30 hp at 8000 rpm... Condor A350 has good components: forks are Marzocchi, rear shocks Konis and Grimeca brakes but with 16 hp and that weight it has quite poor performance.
Production numbers were: 1973: 500 1974: 715 1975: 715 1976: 715 1977 and 1978: 355 bikes, and all went to Swiss Army.
In Finland here are more than 300 A350 Condor bikes and they are imported from Netherlands.....
I know a pace in Holland that had about 150 of them for sale, they most likely have more than a few left.
MIOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Ratchdaddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ratchdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: 29 Palms, CA
Oddometer: 171
update

I was saving up for a DRZ400 but this bike is fun and I like riding it around the desert roads and trails around my house. I am trying to get a feel for it's reliability before I take it out on longer excursions. It still starts on the first kick after 36 years.
__________________
Ratchdaddy
2014 R1200 GSA
1988 NX250
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
ThosMa
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Village of Menotomy, Maffachufetts-Bay
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchdaddy View Post
Handles decent, the benefit over my F800gs is that I am lower to the ground so it just seems to be easier. .
Ratchdaddy -

How much lower? I'm kinda interested in an A350, but I'm a short-legged critter at 5'4" (162cm) and wonder about the seat height.

Thos/MA
ThosMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Bluestone BowTies
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 10
"I know a pace in Holland that had about 150 of them for sale, they most likely have more than a few left."

I heard that this "well has driep up"......all bikes are sold.

I rode Condor A350 more than 10000 kms couple a years ago. When I bought it ( it was imported from Netherlands) it was very good maintained; everything worked and there was nothing wrong with the bike. All parts was in good condition, just add fresh fuel, change oils and lubricate all necessary parts (cables and so on) and then couple kicks and off you go. It has full tool set with spare main jet for carb (two jet; one for high altitude and one for low).
I removed all gun racks and so on and replaced steel mudguards and chainguard with aluminium parts (lose more than 10 kilos) and changed camshaft to ducati camshaft and it got more rpms and speed.......then I crashed and crack my collarbone and sold it...
Bluestone BowTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Ratchdaddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ratchdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: 29 Palms, CA
Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosMa View Post
Ratchdaddy -

How much lower? I'm kinda interested in an A350, but I'm a short-legged critter at 5'4" (162cm) and wonder about the seat height.

Thos/MA
Well the specs on the internet say it is 800mm (31.5 inches). I am 6' but I have short legs at less than 32 inches. I can flatfoot easily. I is not quite as low a a cruiser, more like a mid 80's standard.
__________________
Ratchdaddy
2014 R1200 GSA
1988 NX250
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
I know a pace in Holland that had about 150 of them for sale, they most likely have more than a few left.
And I know one of the places that is buying some of them:

http://www.bluemooncycle.com/preowned.html
Steve G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #14
MIOB
Studly Adventurer
 
MIOB's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: A cold, wet, flat place
Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestone BowTies View Post
"I know a pace in Holland that had about 150 of them for sale, they most likely have more than a few left."

I heard that this "well has driep up"......all bikes are sold.

I rode Condor A350 more than 10000 kms couple a years ago. When I bought it ( it was imported from Netherlands) it was very good maintained; everything worked and there was nothing wrong with the bike. All parts was in good condition, just add fresh fuel, change oils and lubricate all necessary parts (cables and so on) and then couple kicks and off you go. It has full tool set with spare main jet for carb (two jet; one for high altitude and one for low).
I removed all gun racks and so on and replaced steel mudguards and chainguard with aluminium parts (lose more than 10 kilos) and changed camshaft to ducati camshaft and it got more rpms and speed.......then I crashed and crack my collarbone and sold it...

The website says they still have 30 for sale...

http://www.sindorf.nl/frameset1.htm

(go to 'collectors')
MIOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Ratchdaddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ratchdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: 29 Palms, CA
Oddometer: 171
Finally a title

I finally got a CA title. I still can't ride it one the street legally, but at least I can prove I own it. Next project, getting it registered for the street.
__________________
Ratchdaddy
2014 R1200 GSA
1988 NX250
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014