Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #16
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,081
I know it isn't on your list, but what about the G650GS or Sertao? Light and nimble, good fuel economy, decent off-road ability. It's very smooth for a single-cylinder and has decent power.

I would never recommend a 'beast' for someone's first (or close to) motorcycle. Too much weight, too far to reach the ground. Quite a few other bikes do the same job equally well-how many of us actually NEED 600lb liter-engine 'adventure bikes'?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,577
If you have the dough, get the 1190

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Jorge,
You haven't stated whether you will be two-up? The 800 class bikes (F800, 800XC and F650) provide a great platform as rider only long distance bikes. They all can provide adequate room and power for two-up, but multi-week, 6000 mile trips two-up would generally be pushing it.
With the right tires, crash protection and ability any three of these bikes would perform pretty well on gravel/dirt roads. But as the tracks get narrower, steeper and rocky, the F800 appears perform a little better.
The F650 is a sweet little bike. Great mpg, maybe a bit more reliable than the F800 but lacks the torque of the other two.
The 800XC is a solid road performer, easily outperforming the other two in road manners. With a TKC on the front and a K60 shoed to the back, this bike is fantastic in nearly all off pavement situations. In steep or big rock terrain it feels a little top heavy.
My 2011 800XC has been bulletproof through 13k, other than first year fuel mapping issues (fixed by dealer ASAP). This bike has been the funnest I've owned in 28 years.
Unless you have unlimited funds, the bike you choose will a comprise.
The all the "big" bikes provide is a bit more power, but they're heavier and more costly.
The "smaller" bikes maybe lighter and less expensive, but they are less fun to me.

Whatever you decide.....ride them all. Ride them in slow tight turns, off road if possible. Ride them on freeways in fast heavy traffic. Ride them in stop and go traffic and in the fast twisty canyons. Ask about the oil change procedure and ease of maintenance.
Do this and you will find the one that speaks to you.

Oh and one more thing.........hurry up, riding season is here!
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #19
jorgeAbreu OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
I know it isn't on your list, but what about the G650GS or Sertao? Light and nimble, good fuel economy, decent off-road ability. It's very smooth for a single-cylinder and has decent power.

I would never recommend a 'beast' for someone's first (or close to) motorcycle. Too much weight, too far to reach the ground. Quite a few other bikes do the same job equally well-how many of us actually NEED 600lb liter-engine 'adventure bikes'?
My FIRST bike was a Suzuki GSR600, +200Kg (450lb), 100cv... scary machine! :) I think you just have to have your head at the top of your shoulders. I do like big bikes... I was at the Yamaha dealer yesterday I seated on a XT1200Z Super Ténéré with my both feet completely flat on the ground. And the seat can be lowered. I'm 1,85m (6' 1") tall. I think I can handle it.

Although I mentioned initial 25% off-road use, that number is an optimistic (or pessimistic!) one. I should do less.
jorgeAbreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
jorgeAbreu OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
Jorge,
You haven't stated whether you will be two-up? The 800 class bikes (F800, 800XC and F650) provide a great platform as rider only long distance bikes. They all can provide adequate room and power for two-up, but multi-week, 6000 mile trips two-up would generally be pushing it.
With the right tires, crash protection and ability any three of these bikes would perform pretty well on gravel/dirt roads. But as the tracks get narrower, steeper and rocky, the F800 appears perform a little better.
The F650 is a sweet little bike. Great mpg, maybe a bit more reliable than the F800 but lacks the torque of the other two.
The 800XC is a solid road performer, easily outperforming the other two in road manners. With a TKC on the front and a K60 shoed to the back, this bike is fantastic in nearly all off pavement situations. In steep or big rock terrain it feels a little top heavy.
My 2011 800XC has been bulletproof through 13k, other than first year fuel mapping issues (fixed by dealer ASAP). This bike has been the funnest I've owned in 28 years.
Unless you have unlimited funds, the bike you choose will a comprise.
The all the "big" bikes provide is a bit more power, but they're heavier and more costly.
The "smaller" bikes maybe lighter and less expensive, but they are less fun to me.

Whatever you decide.....ride them all. Ride them in slow tight turns, off road if possible. Ride them on freeways in fast heavy traffic. Ride them in stop and go traffic and in the fast twisty canyons. Ask about the oil change procedure and ease of maintenance.
Do this and you will find the one that speaks to you.

Oh and one more thing.........hurry up, riding season is here!
Thank you very much for your opinion. :)

I do like the 1200's ones. And of course I will test all of them. Yesterday I went to Yamaha's but they didn't have one for test ride. :(

Regarding consumption, what MPG's do you make with your 800XC?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #21
jorgeAbreu OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
If you have the dough, get the 1190
I intend to try it too. :)

But as it is a new bike, I can't find too much feedback and testing in the internet. :(
Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #22
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Can we just rename these threads.."tell me what bike you own?"

If it were me I would stay way from bmw. Half the world can be wrong. Too many issues and I would never trust it on a trip. Some people get along just fine, but I couldnt trust it. Same goes for ktm. For long trips I would go either honda or yamaha. They might not have the prestige of bmw, guzzi, or ktm, but they tend tend work all the time and not let you down.

Depending two up I would look....xt1200z, xt660z, honda crosstourer.

Oh and f you yamaha! I want that xt660z posted above.
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #23
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgeAbreu View Post
Thank you very much for your opinion. :)

I do like the 1200's ones. And of course I will test all of them. Yesterday I went to Yamaha's but they didn't have one for test ride. :(

Regarding consumption, what MPG's do you make with your 800XC?
The XC generally gets near 50 mpg.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #24
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
Can we just rename these threads.."tell me what bike you own?"

If it were me I would stay way from bmw. Half the world can be wrong. Too many issues and I would never trust it on a trip. Some people get along just fine, but I couldnt trust it. Same goes for ktm. For long trips I would go either honda or yamaha. They might not have the prestige of bmw, guzzi, or ktm, but they tend tend work all the time and not let you down.

Depending two up I would look....xt1200z, xt660z, honda crosstourer.

Oh and f you yamaha! I want that xt660z posted above.
BMW's are expensive to maintain out of warranty. And they're expensive to buy.
KTM's make excellent riders but they can be finicky too. I'd take a 450/525/530/500 but not one of their big bikes.

The liter-plus bikes are heavy. So depending on your size... If you're great big guy get a great big bike. Otherwise the 800 size bikes will do everything they do only easier.

Another vote for the Tiger 800XC. I looked at all those bikes, and coming off a sportbike you would love the Tiger. Will do all the dirt roads you want and is a stellar road bike. You can't go wrong here.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #25
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Just my opinions...

My experience with my GS - unless you live close to and have a good relationship with the dealer it can be a pain. Great bike but its gonna break in a stupid way that only the dealer can fix and you'll have to deal with that headache.

I dont know about the 1190 KTM, but i did have a 950 KTM. The 950 was a great bike in the mountains and on the trail. But its not something I wanted to put a lot of miles on and really by the time I finished my 45 mile commute I already felt beat up on it. Just something about it. Simple maintenance required an entire day/weekend to accomplish.

I've had my Tenere for a while now. It feels a lot like the GS maybe just a little more peppy. It gives me a much better sense of security than the GS ever did, mostly because its Yamaha reliability. The weight really doesnt show that much. On the downside I think the looks are kinda bland compared to others. Theres no one thing about it thats great, but everything about it has been really good for me. Maintenance is simple and even if something bad does happen almost every town has a Yamaha dealership.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #26
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,404
I would take a tenere over a GS. Rode them both, liked the yamaha better. Liked the motor and gearbox better, felt smoother and easier to ride.

But I found them both bulky to manuever. Great two-up mount though, either one, and lots of room, very comfy.

Now having put 5K mile on the tiger I'd probly say Explorer over them both. Triumph is building stellar bikes.

The lowest depreciation will be a used GS. Probly the best value unless you have to pay to have it fixed.

Really question your true needs before opting for a liter-plus bike.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I own a Tenere, and even if it was $2000 more than GS I would still choose it based on reliability and low cost of ownership. In almost 20 years of following forums I have seen many Japanese bikes hit 200,000 and 300,000 miles, yet still haven't heard of a failure on a driveline. Find JaimeV posts here on his Tenere and then tell me the bike can't go places a KTM can, but more comfortable.
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoebster View Post
I own a Tenere, and even if it was $2000 more than GS I would still choose it based on reliability and low cost of ownership. In almost 20 years of following forums I have seen many Japanese bikes hit 200,000 and 300,000 miles, yet still haven't heard of a failure on a driveline. Find JaimeV posts here on his Tenere and then tell me the bike can't go places a KTM can, but more comfortable.

This!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #29
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
This!
What do you mean by your one word response? No sarcasm, I just don't understand it.
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #30
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoebster View Post
What do you mean by your one word response? No sarcasm, I just don't understand it.
It means he agrees with you.