This!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The liter-plus bikes are heavy. So depending on your size... If you're great big guy get a great big bike. Otherwise the 800 size bikes will do everything they do only easier.

Another vote for the Tiger 800XC. I looked at all those bikes, and coming off a sportbike you would love the Tiger. Will do all the dirt roads you want and is a stellar road bike. You can't go wrong here.
I've been doing a ton of test rides lately (GSA, Explorer, Tenere, Stelvio, Multistrada, Tigers XC and std) working down my own path to the ADV bike of my choice. I'd have to say if I was planning on riding solo at least 80% of the time I'd go with a Tiger, either XC for a little better in the dirt, or roadie for a little lighter and better on the road. I've ridden both and I must admit I liked the roadie quite a bit. I don't know why it feels lighter than the XC but it seems to. It's still got 19'/17" wheels, same as the other ADV bikes but they are cast. Anyway, I think all of the liter+ bikes are too heavy.

I am planning on buying the Stelvio for my needs (90% 2 up pavement with some 2 up dirt road, and commuting solo). I will still have my DRZ for more serious dirt work.

My second choice is the Tenere, but that's me, others might well place it first. I've ridden it 4x and it's a great bike. Luckily there's a fix for the stock ECU programming nonsense. Plan on ~$450 if you want it to run right, but that's very common these days due to our "friends" at the Gov't agencies.

I'd give a big thumbs up to checking out the Tiger in which ever flavor suits you best. The 800 triple is one sweet engine. I wish they'd offer a Street Triple with that 800 engine, mmmm

It might come down to whether or not you want shaft drive. For me it was imperative.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #33
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,646
^^

The Stelvio definitely has a lot more character.

The reason I'll own a Ducati and a Harley before my days are done.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #34
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
My second choice is the Tenere, but that's me, others might well place it first. I've ridden it 4x and it's a great bike. Luckily there's a fix for the stock ECU programming nonsense. Plan on ~$450 if you want it to run right, but that's very common these days due to our "friends" at the Gov't agencies.
I think "want it to run right" is a little strong. I've put several thousand miles on my Tenere with no reprogramming and there's nothing out of the ordinary about it to me.

To each their own, but I wouldn't call that a mandatory fix.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #35
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
I think "want it to run right" is a little strong. I've put several thousand miles on my Tenere with no reprogramming and there's nothing out of the ordinary about it to me.

To each their own, but I wouldn't call that a mandatory fix.
You're right, it's not mandatory.

But most of these bikes don't really run the way they were intended to by the engineers. After they get done mucking up a good running motorcycle to pass the smog regs they don't run as intended with little hiccups here and there. Most people notice a significant improvement once they reflash/program/alter/etc. the fuel injection mapping on these bikes. My Vstrom went from rather herky jerky to amazingly smooth with a remapping, most Tenere and Stelvio owners report similar improvements once they do a reflash to set things right. That's what I meant by "run right", but no it's not mandatory at all.

The only thing I didn't care for on the Tenere is the somewhat vague feeling throttle at the lower openings, and it's limited in the first 3 gears.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #36
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
The only thing I didn't care for on the Tenere is the somewhat vague feeling throttle at the lower openings, and it's limited in the first 3 gears.
The clutch mod takes away the low gear stumbles on the Tenere almost completely. Each his own. I would do STelvio over GS any day of week.
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote