User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 296
Wandering New Zealand on a bike with a fly rod

After finally reaching a completion point in a software project and winding up an eight year milestone, it was the perfect time to load the bike with camping and fishing gear and head off on an extended trip. The main objective for the trip was to dry run some of the riding and fly fishing route packages I am putting together for the RemoteMoto website.

As for introductions, my name is Josh, a Kiwi who enjoys mixing adventure riding and flyfishing.

The steed of choice is a DRZ400 setup for riding and fly fishing trips

With that said, the bike was packed and I was off...
Old 11-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Leg 1....

With it being the start of November and mid Spring the weather was naturally forecast to be volatile and scrappy. Regardless, there would still be many good days in amongst the wet and windy days

Heading south was first on the cards, the weather was scrappy every which way with a big southerly front was pushing in, but there was a little reprieve in the centre of the island. Photo of Arthurs Pass looking north from the top of Porters Pass

The majority of the first day was spent GPS logging back roads and campsites for the RemoteMoto website

A beautiful High Country lake

Not too long after hitting the water came success, not a trophy by any means but it was in absolute magic condition. Lifted for a quick photo, then set on his way

After a great day mixed with both riding and a spot of fishing it was off to setup camp. I had resigned myself to wake to rain with regard to the gale force southerly winds and intimidating looking clouds fast approaching
Old 11-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Leg 2

Much to my surprise the weather held out right through till the morning just long enough for me to pack up and head off before the rain started. Once I dropped out from the hills I met blue sky and the day was spent exploring back roads and rivers while making my way further south

Ain't that pretty ;)

A good portion of the day was logging roads in the vicinity of Lake Opuha

Heading to a potential night's accommodation was brought to a halt. I poked my nose up to see if the Southerly front had come over into the Macaulay Valley. Sure enough it had meaning it would be far too dangerous to cross the river to get up there. With being a fan of staying alive I decided to have a comfortable night in a cabin

The night's accommodation
Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Leg 3...

Heavy rain and strong wind all night was not all that inviting to go jump on the bike the next morning, but I had a plan to fish water fed predominantly by spring creeks that would hopefully not be too affected by the rain

Arriving at the destination the clouds almost opened up on my approval. Thanks Mr Cloud Controller =)

The target rivers were slightly coloured but still fishable

Some walking between sections was needed but on a day like today ya couldn't complain

The tail of this glide was filled with bobbing heads of surface feeding rainbows, it wasn't too long before the first came to the net

Yehaa =) The other two fish pulled from this tail were also around the 2 and a 1/2 pound mark
Old 11-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

A stretch of water that screamed of holding fish...

...sure enough it did

A beautiful rainbow jack

Followed by a rainbow hen. As the day wound up it couldn't have been any more successful. A great pocket of weather, a few fish lost but around eight came to the net. A simply fantastic day!
Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOTO View Post
Followed by a rainbow hen. As the day wound up it couldn't have been any more successful. A great pocket of weather, a few fish lost but around eight came to the net. A simply fantastic day!
Sounds like paradise to me

Great report and pictures, subscribed!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #7
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,302
Nice Pix, keep `em coming. NZ is a dream trip for me.

How do you trigger your camera?

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
Sounds like paradise to me

Great report and pictures, subscribed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Nice Pix, keep `em coming. NZ is a dream trip for me.
Thanks guys, NZ certainly has a lot of eye candy and good riding to offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
How do you trigger your camera?
I've polished a system to be quick and gentle on the fish before being released. The fish are fought hard and brought in quick so they are not worn out, once landed they remain in the net, in water and resting upside down as that calms them. The camera (mounted on a gorillapod) is set to a 10 second timer, just before the camera beeps and takes the photos the fish is lifted for a quick pic and then gently put back in the water and sent back on its way. The camera is set up to rattle off a dozen shots in quick succession so the process only needs to be done once and the fish can be sent back home quick smart and in good health.

Cheers

RMOTO screwed with this post 11-25-2014 at 01:31 PM
RMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Leg 4...

Packing up the tent on another magic morning it was off deep down south to fish an area I have wanted to fish for a long time

Along the way nearly all the rivers were blown out from the heavy rain

Lindis Pass had not only received rain it also had a dusting of snow

Chilly

Not long after this shot on SH6 the clouds got dark and released generous amounts of rain and hail. On the positive side it gave me a chance to test how waterproof the new Klim Latitude Jacket is. It passed the test and kept me dry and warm

Getting late in the day and after a solid day of riding I opted for a Motel to shower up, charge batteries before heading off camping for 4 days
Old 11-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Leg 5...

Making my way into Milford Sound, I took the time to explore all the little side roads down to the rivers that I normally ride past; some of them very scenic

I must have eaten too much for tea last night because my Airhawk cushion gave way

No probs, a bit of UV cure Aquaseal and we were fixed and good to go in 10 seconds

Lake Gunn
Old 11-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

At one of the stops a kea tried to steal my front wheel, luckily I had done the wheel nut up tight enough so he couldn't get it off

Heading into Hollyford Road, this slip from Roaring Creek was something else. This photo does not do it justice, thousands of tons of rocks and boulders metres high had swallowed the road

Views over the Hollyford River at the end of Hollyford Road

Upper reaches of the Hollyford River
Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Heading into Milford

Amazing views of water bleeding from the rock face between Mount Moir and Mount Belle

Homer Tunnel

Homer Tunnel's exit point from Mount Moir. Easy to see why the road goes through it and not over it

At the end of road, Milford's jaw dropping sights continued to be hard to capture on camera. The boat bottom left in this photo gives some indication

After a great ride and some grub at the Blue Duck Cafe it was time to head out and find a more non-touristy location to setup camp for the next three days

As evening was setting in I thought I'd have a quick flick on the river by camp. This turned out to be very successful. I spotted three beaut browns just 200 metres from camp, very pattern selective but I managed to bring two of the three to the net. Both decided to go flying down this rapid and have me chase after them, how rude!

This was the larger of the two, a cracking 5 pound brown in great nick
Old 11-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
borscht zanetti
Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer: 178
Beautiful ! Bright waters and bright fish !
borscht zanetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
onip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Beautiful!!!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
HMMWV
Makin Dust

Oddometer: 23
Awesome!
HMMWV is offline   Reply With Quote