Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
AltRider Crash Bars for the R 1200 GS Liquid Cooled

Hello Everyone,

I know a few of you have been chomping at the bit to get your eyes on our latest for the R1200GSW. Well here are some renderings of the crash bar design we are working on. We are very excited about these bars and welcome your questions. Here is a quick couple of details about the design so far.

- 1 1/4" diameter stainless steel tubing; this increased diameter matches the stout size of bike well and as we have learned from protecting the BMW training school bikes the 550 lbs will bend 1” bars.

- 6 mounting points with the load spread over 8 pieces of hardware for a stout installation
- Full coverage of the cylinder head (working on the ability to remove the valve cover while installed)
- All welds are hand TIG
- All coping is cut on a 5 axis laser to give a perfect fitment before welding
- All bends are made on a CNC mandrel bender for precise and strong bends
- All hardware is included
- No bending, grinding, or modification needed to install
- Available in black or silver

- Erik
Old 05-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Well, since these are renderings and not prototypes, my question would have to be....timing?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
hawbs
Rockin' the Beer Gut

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRider View Post
Hello Everyone,

- 1 1/4" diameter stainless steel tubing; this increased diameter matches the stout size of bike well and as we have learned from protecting the BMW training school bikes the 550 lbs will bend 1” bars.

- Erik
Any chance we'll see this feature applied to the bars for liquid cooled models?
hawbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Well, since these are renderings and not prototypes, my question would have to be....timing?
x2. And price point? I'm about sick of waiting for the Touratech ones I have had on order for 2 months and I like the looks of these (I think so anyway. Real photos would be great). If these were to be available soon-ish, I'd likely cancel my order and take a set of these.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The prototypes for the AltRider crash bars came in and we got them fitted to the bike.

As stated above, the bars are 1.25" (31.75 mm) stainless steel tubing that fully protect the cylinder head. We will be offering them in shot peen satin or powder coat black and other special edition colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
We are in the final stages of development, but we can't put a date on production quite yet. We take the development process very seriously to ensure the quality and functionality of all AltRider parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
x2. And price point?
We can't be sure on a price point until we finalize the design. As soon as that happens, we will update you guys.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the bars, and if you would like to see the rest of the products we have in the works for the R 1200 GS LC check out this thread.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
ironklad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I'm curious why the design has the top of the bars extend out as far as they do?
ironklad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironklad View Post
I'm curious why the design has the top of the bars extend out as far as they do?
Got to rest your leg somewhere!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironklad View Post
Sorry for the delay getting to your question, we are actually in the process of finalizing the design of the crash bars. These photos are of the prototypes attached to the bike. The bars are spaced from the bike so they don't become a pivot point when the bike is on its side. If they are too close to the body, when the bike falls it will continue rolling onto the handlebars. However the design may change slightly; we have been working on finding that balance point between aesthetics, lean angle and engine protection.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
ironklad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Makes sense and they look good. I also like the design of how the skid plate attaches, nice design work. Can't wait till your new products are ready to ship as I happen to be in need of crash bars and a skid plate.
ironklad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We had the “opportunity” to put our crash bars to the test last weekend - our R 1200 GSW was high-sided on a hard-pack gravel logging road this weekend at approximately 65 mph. The bike hit the ground going about 50 mph. Here are some pictures of the outcome.

IMG_2805

The crash bars took the brunt of the impact – the only damage to the cylinder head is superficial scratches from the uneven road surface.

IMG_2829

The impact was so violent it actually ejected the lock cylinder out from under the seat. Even the rubber cap on the telever fork union came winging off from the impact forces. The 1.25” bars did an amazing job in such a powerful crash.

IMG_2808

IMG_2812

The geometry of the crash bars completely protected the handlebars and front fairings. You can see some blemishes on the mirror where it lightly touched the ground - note that the bar end wasn’t chewed up as is normally typical in this kind of crash.

IMG_2810

No damage here either.

IMG_2813

The rear differential also impacted the ground resulting in some scrapes. However the bike was still completely rideable – no mechanical damage or harm to the controls. In fact, after the wreck the bike was ridden over 50 miles back to our shop to get these pictures. We’re also happy to report that other than a few bruises, the rider is just fine.

IMG_2820

IMG_2827

While all crashes are different, we feel this is a strong demonstration of the protection our design offers. The weight of the R 1200 GSW requires a strong mounting system that is well integrated into the bike. The 1.25” bars really proved their worth by hardly flexing under tremendous load.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I'm sure that will buff right out.

I'm sold.
deacon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another “opportunity” to test out the AltRider protection parts for the R1200GSW presented itself recently while filming a video for the water-boxer. Luckily, the rider was once again unharmed, and the bike came out relatively unscathed thanks to the upper and lower crash bars. Even the luggage rack (link) played a part in preventing damage! Check out the videos below: