Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #31
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Paved roads are boring, perhaps more people are figuring that out.

I rode a GXR1000 once, belonged to a friend. That bike would break any posted speed limit in the US, in FIRST gear, and beat the TOP speed of my beat up old KLR after about .5 secs in 2nd gear. It was scary fast. But riding it in a lawful, safe manor was BORING, and I felt like I got put on a torture rack, and then gang raped, after about 30 min. in the saddle You can't really enjoy a bike like that unless you want to spend a load of $$ on track time and tires. My ugly, cheap KLR gives me many more smiles per mile After a few minor suspension mods I can play ricky racer in the twisties, or take it anywhere I have the balls to take a 400lb dirt-ish bike.

^ Pretty much a long way of repeating the old adage "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow"

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #32
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post

I rode a GXR1000 once, belonged to a friend. That bike would break any posted speed limit in the US, in FIRST gear, and beat the TOP speed of my beat up old KLR after about .5 secs in 2nd gear. It was scary fast. But riding it in a lawful, safe manor was BORING, and I felt like I got put on a torture rack, and then gang raped, after about 30 min. in the saddle You can't really enjoy a bike like that unless you want to spend a load of $$ on track time and tires. My ugly, cheap KLR gives me many more smiles per mile After a few minor suspension mods I can play ricky racer in the twisties, or take it anywhere I have the balls to take a 400lb dirt-ish bike.

^ Pretty much a long way of repeating the old adage "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow"
Tires only get really expensive if you are fast.

I manged to nurse a set of Super Corsa SPs through 5,000 miles that included something like 6 trackdays. Trackdays do cost, but being able to corner for real is worth it. Feeling the rear siding WFO off of a sweeper without worry about trees is pretty much the most awesome feeling.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #33
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post

When you become a better rider that old adages doesn't apply, believe me. Oh, and I usually go through tires faster on my DS's then I do on my sport bikes/tards.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #34
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 154
Yes I see it here also, I live on the pacific coast highway (USA)
Been riding this highway for a lot of years (its a big draw for motorcycle enthusiasts) And I have noticed the same thing.
Sport bikes are just too much motorcycle for 95% of the riding population.
More people are finding the dual sport segment more realistic and fun.
Lay down an R1 and it will look like a wreck.
I lay down my 2000 XR650r and it looks the same (pre wrecked)
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #35
Timbo813
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Tires only get really expensive if you are fast.

I manged to nurse a set of Super Corsa SPs through 5,000 miles that included something like 6 trackdays. Trackdays do cost, but being able to corner for real is worth it. Feeling the rear siding WFO off of a sweeper without worry about trees is pretty much the most awesome feeling.
Yes, but if you don't do track days and you don't ride like an idiot on the street you are wasting any sportbike 600cc or above. I had a honda 919 which isn't even a fast bike. It was a bit boring to ride on the street because it was capable of so much more than I could legally do with it. I tended to break the law more than I should and I still didn't use it like it was designed. I can't imagine how boring riding a GSXR 1000 at legal street speeds would be. Would you ever get above mid throttle and 6000 rpm? IF I was good enough and IF I had the time and money for track days that would be a blast. On the street, I would either be risking jail time or I would be bored. No thanks.
Timbo813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #36
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
At least that's the case here in Finland. The 600 Sport Bike sales have nearly stopped and the 1000 cc bikes are not doing much better, this has been the trend here for the past couple of years. The touring and dual sport bikes as well as the cruisers, are selling, but nowhere near the numbers that hit the roads few years back. The dealers reckon it's partly due to the sluggish economy, but they are also saying that motorcycling is not seen as 'glamorous' as it once was. Maybe the folks are too busy playing with their smart phones, instead of going for a bit of a burn.
What is scene in U.S and in other parts of the globe?
that's because sport bikes are expensive, impractical, they drink gas, they're uncomfortable, hard to ride and very unforgiving..... and lets face it, at some point you just dont give a shit what you look like on a bike. How do you explain that many KLR's?

I have to agree as well about dirt bikes though. I have way more fun on dirtbikes on the street most of the time. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my Speed Triple but days spend on the Triple are far less than days on the dirtbikes.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #37
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I am bored with any 'normal' street bike unless I am risking tickets, let alone a sport bike.
I bet if people could get past their ego, they would find something like the new cbr250 a lot more fun and entertaining then something with 100+ hp.

I imagine (never having ridden one) you could be real sloppy and still go very fast on a bigger sport bike, but on a smaller low power bike you need to get every last bit of performance out of the bike much more often.

Say you wanted to ride and have fun and did not want tickets, 20 over the limit here and they can pull your licence, inpound the bike, big fines, etc.
What are you going to do with a sport bike over 250cc's when anything over 85 can get you walking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo813 View Post
Yes, but if you don't do track days and you don't ride like an idiot on the street you are wasting any sportbike 600cc or above. I had a honda 919 which isn't even a fast bike. It was a bit boring to ride on the street because it was capable of so much more than I could legally do with it. I tended to break the law more than I should and I still didn't use it like it was designed. I can't imagine how boring riding a GSXR 1000 at legal street speeds would be. Would you ever get above mid throttle and 6000 rpm? IF I was good enough and IF I had the time and money for track days that would be a blast. On the street, I would either be risking jail time or I would be bored. No thanks.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #38
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I am bored with any 'normal' street bike unless I am risking tickets, let alone a sport bike.
I bet if people could get past their ego, they would find something like the new cbr250 a lot more fun and entertaining then something with 100+ hp.

I imagine (never having ridden one) you could be real sloppy and still go very fast on a bigger sport bike, but on a smaller low power bike you need to get every last bit of performance out of the bike much more often.

Say you wanted to ride and have fun and did not want tickets, 20 over the limit here and they can pull your licence, inpound the bike, big fines, etc.
What are you going to do with a sport bike over 250cc's when anything over 85 can get you walking?
I have 200HP, thats not enough
Is my ego to big?

I have worked with a guy, he lost his license going 135kmh in a 80kmh zone.
He rides a BMW F800GS
Does he have a ego issue?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #39
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

This is why a Ninja 250 is so much fun. You learn to carry speed through corners because you can't just accelerate back out of them. You learn to shift too when you bang through all 6 gears before 60mph. My WRR is just as fun though as my Ninjette was and a little easier on the knees.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #40
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
That is what I find.
I would think there is no way you could learn to be a good rider of a real sport bike on the street, not even close.
Unless you are breaking the law in a serious way, its got to be dull riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
This is why a Ninja 250 is so much fun. You learn to carry speed through corners because you can't just accelerate back out of them. You learn to shift too when you bang through all 6 gears before 60mph. My WRR is just as fun though as my Ninjette was and a little easier on the knees.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #41
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Ya know, this thread iz worthless without pics...

Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #42
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo813 View Post

I've actually been there. I stopped riding liter bikes for that reason really. The GSX-1000R in particular can basically double most speed limits in first gear, its like trying to put brakes on a missile riding it on the road.

My Speed Triple seems to be in a pretty sweet spot, mine is geared all to high hell, it rides like a really big motard front end is always loose and it leaps off of corners.

It depends on what your idea of waste is I guess. If we were worried about what you "need" to commute, every one would be on 250s and 500s.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #43
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,809
I rode sport bikes for years then switched to Dual Sport. So did many of my sport bike riding friends. There used to be many great paved roads with not too much traffic and little LEO presence that could be ridden at a good pace on a sport bike without much fear of a ticket. Then those roads started become way too popular and traffic and LEO presence increased.

With a dual sport I have been able to not only enjoy riding off the pavement but I also discovered that on tight twisty paved roads, a dual sport is just as fun and nearly as fast as a sport bike. I have also discovered a large number of paved roads that the sport bikes, and LEO's ignore. Many of these roads are a few miles of great twisty pavement, then some poor pavement then gravel, then eventually more pavement. Most street bikes ignore these road because they don't want to ride the gravel.

There are many twisty roads that have really crappy pavement. Fun on a dual sport. Not so much on a sport bike.

klaviator screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 03:53 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #44
Aussijussi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Instead of calling them 'dual sport' more apt name could be 'real world' motorcycle. We call them 'tour enduro' here, which is not that hot either. Maybe ADV RIDER could print out sticker's with DEFTM on them, short for *Do Every Fucking Thing Moto*
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #45
Aussijussi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
On second thought, if we add few more letters to that compo, even the Harley riders might join us
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote