User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
oldtrout OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thanks guys/ Hooliken.

I am trying to get another season out of my gear - Joe Rocket jacket and Moto GP pants. The jacket is OK, turning into a nice shade of pink, and has done me well. The pants will get a set of side zippers from the local seamstress as they are absolutely unbearable in any sort of heat.

All my cash is in the moto (and trying to retire), so next year will probably go for the Rev'it line as Klim is a little too much $ with Frau Blucher eating tires, extended warranty, BC insurance etc., etc.

The Cyclegear stuff looks good, and for the price hard to go wrong. If this does'nt work out, I can always head for the hills where things will moderate. My trip will be in June, so it will no doubt be hot as Hadies in the valleys but chilly in the mountains. BTDT.

Onward !

oldtrout screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 09:52 PM
oldtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #17
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwanderer View Post
Like it or not, use it or not, have faith in the IBA or not, this is a group of the most accomplished riders anywhere.
They don't always agree, but for the most part they operate off the same info and do it farther and through temps most folks won't ride it.
A good read FWIW and many have adopted these types of gear. It is info, use it how you want. I can tell you that my riding area is the gulf coast states and desert SW. It does tend to get warm in all those places with humidity from 100% to single digits, and this has kept me and the SO comfy and protected for many a year now.
Hope this helps.
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/I..._62-66_Hot.pdf
Cheers
Excellent article tx, Thanks for posting that up.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #18
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Ultralight meranio wool skin tight baselayers if you're looking for something high end. Wool wicks like synthetics, breathes like thin cotton, dries quick, and can take days between washings with no funk. Naturally fire retardant too, if catching on fire is your thing. But it ain't as cheap as synthetics. See Smartwool or Icebreaker. I wear wool socks year round, just varying the thickness depending on temps and purpose.

Honestly the BEST way to stay cool while riding in hot weather is evaporative cooling. Mesh jacket + plain cotton shirt + water bottle. Wet your shirt as needed and ride. It'll keep you cooler than any normal immersion cooling vest, and because cotton dries slower than synthetics it'll keep you cooler longer. And as an added bonus you can get a three pack of cotton undershirts for half the price of an off brand full synthetic shirt. Evaporative cooling also works with standard vented jackets as,well, that's what sweating is. But "assisted" evap cooling works best with mesh.

If you're not using evaporative cooling in 95F+ temps, it's better to stick with normal vented gear plus wool/synthetic wicking shirt. See the aforementioned IBA PDF for reasons why.

Oh, and get a thin skullcap to wear under helmet. It'll wick away sweat and help keep *some* funk out of your helmet, and you can wet it for additional cooling. Makes a big difference in of its own.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #19
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,989
I usually do some wicking base layer (UA, ski silk, whatever) with perforated leather. I'm firmly of the belief that moisture wicking fabric is the best thing to happen to leathers since the cow.

When I was out west the Harley guys used to look at me like I was nuts when I was suiting up in the leather in +110 degree temperatures, but it was never me that had heat stress issues.

Insulation from the heat/wind is nearly as important as breathability in my experience, well, that I had really don't trust mesh beyond around town pace.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Get wet, keeps me cool for a good 45 min to an hour.

Leather should be preforated.

A wet scarf does work.

A guy I know who worked for nasa ran tubing through his jacket with quick disconnects.

They connect that to a small water pump in a small cooler filled with ice mounted on the passanger seat.

Pump is powered by bike, and circulates the cool water. He says it works great.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Mesh jacket if the temperature is 92-95 and BELOW, and full synthetic jacket/pants when over 95. Skin temperature is around 92-95 depending on where on the body you measure, so wearing mesh gear when above that temperature is actually counterproductive. It will heat the body instead of cool it.
This. It may not feel as comfortable, but it beats heat stroke.

On a REALLY hot day / longer trip, consider ice in your pockets.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
spibbie
ninja 250 noob

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwanderer View Post
Like it or not, use it or not, have faith in the IBA or not, this is a group of the most accomplished riders anywhere.
They don't always agree, but for the most part they operate off the same info and do it farther and through temps most folks won't ride it.
A good read FWIW and many have adopted these types of gear. It is info, use it how you want. I can tell you that my riding area is the gulf coast states and desert SW. It does tend to get warm in all those places with humidity from 100% to single digits, and this has kept me and the SO comfy and protected for many a year now.
Hope this helps.
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/I..._62-66_Hot.pdf
Cheers

Excellent link. Very useful. Thank you. Alabama summer is coming.
spibbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #23
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
I know a lot of us are still freezing our yarbles off, but can someone post the linky to the hot weather gear thread that was aboot last (?) summer.

Looking for the ATGATT and wicking base layers that seemed to be the route to cool.

Appologies but Search foo not working.

Thanks in advance
Logan
Don't know if anyone said this (aka I'm too lazy to read them all), but if you wear mesh or really openly vented coats/jackets and they are about any color but black, you actually stay cooler than no coat if moving over 20 mph. That's my experience so far. You will absorb more heat from the sun on your bare skin than through a red or yellow mesh or vented coat. That's been my experience with my old First Gear red/white Timbuktu jacket that has nearly full length sleeve and full width back venting as well as with the First Gear red Kilmanjaro Air mesh coat. So I frequently wear a coat just to actually stay cooler.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
I know a lot of us are still freezing our yarbles off, but can someone post the linky to the hot weather gear thread that was aboot last (?) summer.

Looking for the ATGATT and wicking base layers that seemed to be the route to cool.

Appologies but Search foo not working.

Thanks in advance
Logan
For shirts under the gear, Under Armour moisture-wicking t shirts are the way to go. Not too expensive and the local sporting goods stores have them. If I want to look a little nicer, moisture-wicking golf shirts are the way to go. Buy Walter Hagan shirts, much less than Nike and just as good.

DarthJ screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 01:36 PM
DarthJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
oldtrout OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Txwanderers link to the Ironbutt.com research pretty well sums my thinking. Take the time to read it. The mesh is a no-go, as it is too limited a temp. range, and who wants to carry a secondary set of gear. You ride with what ya got.

I'm going with the cheapo light wicking under gear and vent my northern stuff as much as I can. In the hills I can always layer up.

Just trying to avoid stripping down to a t-shirt when things get extreme, which I have done in the olden days. This sucks the fluid right out of you.

Last summer here in BC It hit 40' C and it was not too bad riding with the wet T under the jacket. Have to keep moving though. The pants were the killer, thus my el cheapo custom added vents. (Next year, Troutwife willing, will go for the full Klim or Rev-it super dooper touring re-vamp.)

As a side, this will be an Arizona ride, not Panama. YMMV.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #26
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Hey Trout!!

Take a look at some other avenues. I am as frugal as it gets, but there is inexpensive and then there is cheap.
Wlamart sells a "drystar" brand of clothing that is cheap. UA, although they make great compression gear and cold gear is about the bottom of the list. Expensive and doesn't work as well as the suggestions I posted.
How ever you go, the clothing should fit "close" but not tight. Compression gear is great for someone on the move and perhaps even riding dirt, but for street riding it could possibly be a draw back, especially with any condition that could comprimize circulation.
Adjust your vents and have the closed when it is real hot and humidity is down.
Mesh can be used in a fairly broad temp range if you have good wind protection, just close off your vents on the bike and make yourself a "bubble". You won't stay wet as long but it will be better than the wind blasting you.
Make sure to take a water bottle for your gear and something to stay hydrated. Avoid alcohol and eat nutritious meals. Stay away from salty foods too (old wives tale for salt conserving fluid in a GOOD way). Heat can kill. That is a fact that is too often overlooked and folks end up very sick with a lifetime of lasting effects so keep a good watch on you and the pillion.

Have a great trip.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #27
oldtrout OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Txwanderer/ others !

Returned Saturday via the Cariboo from an epic ride. Central Oregon, Nevada to Death Valley, then Grand Canyon up through Monument Valley, Colorado, Wyoming etc. Endless choices of roads, and the more obscure, the better !

7350 KM for 11 days on the road.

Hottest I hit was Laughlin NV. At 112 F. (42C).

Not too serious as a "dry heat" as they say, but to me it WAS warm. Thanks for the great advice. At plus 30'c - soak down the wicking gear, fully button up and Bobs your uncle. Lots of water (used the Camel Back once) and all was well.

Too bad the pit-stops (gas stations) do not have:

A) a simple tree or something to sit under other than the pumps for shade.

B) a water fountain to refill the gazillion plastic Desani, Arrowhead or whatever bottles that I chucked into some locals landfill.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice and a COOL ride. I will return

I'll be back.

Logan.

Ps. Interesting that on the real serious long lonely hauls, not a Harley to be seen ? Only Bimmers and Connies/ FJR 's as they have the long legs I guess.

Ride safe.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #28
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
All my cash is in the moto (and trying to retire), so next year will probably go for the Rev'it line as Klim is a little too much $ with Frau Blucher eating tires, extended warranty, BC insurance etc., etc.
LOL!!! BT,DT.

Anyways, something wicking (like the old Polypro) underneath to soak up and distribute the sweat. And Mesh Jacket/Pants for protection and airflow. I have a pair of Firstgear Mesh (Texmesh??) pants, in an oversize so I can wear it over my "street clothes", with suspenders so I don't have to worry about cinching up a belt on pants a couple of sizes too large. In the Summer I'll frequently wear a pair of shorts under it: cool, but with protection.

Good thread.

--Bill
Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #29
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Hey Txwanderer/ others !

Returned Saturday via the Cariboo from an epic ride. Central Oregon, Nevada to Death Valley, then Grand Canyon up through Monument Valley, Colorado, Wyoming etc. Endless choices of roads, and the more obscure, the better !

7350 KM for 11 days on the road.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice and a COOL ride. I will return

I'll be back.

Logan.

Ps. Interesting that on the real serious long lonely hauls, not a Harley to be seen ? Only Bimmers and Connies/ FJR 's as they have the long legs I guess.

Ride safe.

Sorry to paraphras your post, but it is kinda long. Happy to hear you were healthy and happy on the ride. SOunds like a great trip.

If you are serious about "new" gear, check out the flea market on this site. I bought a Stich onesie from an inmate and have nothing but good for the product (it was exactly as desribed) and the transaction. Good folks here even if some in the basement get a little rowdy. I got it for a deep discount from new and it is just as new.

Cheers
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
I bought a few items of the Heat-Out apparel from Cycle Gear last summer thinking it was cheap and wouldn't be a great loss if it didn't work....Boy was I amazed. Stuff really works, as long there is some air movement.
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...1713_59409_199

THIS ^^^ Afordable and works. For real hot weather put on a wet long sleeve cotton or polypropylene shirt over the top and open the vents on your jacket just a small amount. = MOTO A/C

Mesh/perforated gear is bet left for temps below the mid 90 degree mark.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 09:10 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote