Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Toyota FJ cruiser OEM towing hitch and motorcycle carier

Hello

I would like to find out if anyone uses Toyota OEM towing hitch (PT228-60060) with motorcycle carrier on FJ cruiser.

If you do can you tell me what carrier you use and what bike (weight) you carry?

Thank you
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Zwoehr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Your owners manual will tell you what weight the hitch is rated for. Rear springs will also be a factor with heavy bikes. I have carried 450 lb bikes on a carrier on my Tacoma.
Zwoehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwoehr View Post
Your owners manual will tell you what weight the hitch is rated for. Rear springs will also be a factor with heavy bikes. I have carried 450 lb bikes on a carrier on my Tacoma.
Thanks.

Did you have to upgrade rear springs for that weigh or 450 lb did not sag a lot?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
duck851
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I used one regularly one my fj before I sold it. It was a carrier off of ebay. I mostly carried a ktm 250xc with a weight of 220lbs. That was barely noticeable. I did carry a few street bikes with weights approaching 500-600 pounds and you could definitely feel it back there. Even at those weights the fj springs seemed fine, but I am unsure of the tongue weight of the fj. Probably less then what I was carrying though at the higher weights.
If the tongue max is 450lbs, and your not going to exceed that, no need for different springs. I loved the carrier and the fj was great with it.
duck851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Zwoehr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyaon View Post
Thanks.

Did you have to upgrade rear springs for that weigh or 450 lb did not sag a lot?

I put OME Dakar springs on the truck after I broke a stock one. They are pretty stiff and with a 400lb bike on the back the ride isn't affected very much. You feel it if you have to brake hard though. The hauler I use is a Versahauler.
Zwoehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
AbeFroman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I bought a double-carrier off amazon for something like $140. Carried a DRZ-400SM around on the back of the FJ for a couple of years and probably 10,000 miles or so. Did just fine and was a great set-up. Mileage did suffer though.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #7
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Thank you all for your replies.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,303
My FJ tows this quite easily and for $15/day, it's a safer, much cheaper option for when my moto is down and needs service or repair. Obviously not the best tow to a trail option, but wanted to throw that out there.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=MT
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
My FJ tows this quite easily and for $15/day, it's a safer, much cheaper option for when my moto is down and needs service or repair. Obviously not the best tow to a trail option, but wanted to throw that out there.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=MT
That's great idea. Didn't think about it. Thanks for suggesting.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,328
I had a 4th Gen 4Runner (same chassis as the FJ) with a factory receiver hitch and I hauled a KX250 then later a KTM 525 MXC on a CycleGear (cheapy hauler) all over California with ZERO problems.

I wouldn't put any big 650cc Dual Sports on it, but why would you need to carry on of those? Just ride the pig. I HATE trailers, in states like CA you're limited to 55mph, backing them up is a b!tch and for whatever reason they're more prone to flats. I've drug trailers literally across the country with either bikes or cars on them and I'd much rather have a bike in the back of a truck or on a hauler.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: