Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
I found my Go-Cruise for $12.00 Iirc. The Omni looks incredibly well made & surely will out last the plastic Go Cruise, but will it outlast 4 of them? I could buy 4 Go Cruise locks for the price of one Omni. (BTW...I'm sure I saw this same principle applied back in the '60's with coat hanger wire, bent & fiddled with, until it had just the right tension.)
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I found my Go-Cruise for $12.00 Iirc. The Omni looks incredibly well made & surely will out last the plastic Go Cruise, but will it outlast 4 of them? I could buy 4 Go Cruise locks for the price of one Omni. (BTW...I'm sure I saw this same principle applied back in the '60's with coat hanger wire, bent & fiddled with, until it had just the right tension.)

Or buy one omni cruise and be done with it. The easily adjustable little thumb screw makes it easily fit any grip and holds tension. Unlike the go-cruise which one will be adding tape or rubber bands to keep the thing tight on the grip.

I've used the vista, nep and a couple others and I can't speak highly enough about this thing. Inmates get a discount so it costs 37 bucks...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
The bar end types all have one issue. You have to alter your hand postion to engage it. Then you have to reposition the throttle after engagement.

Had a Kaoko on my Stelvio and hated it. Uncomfortable to operate and when making minor corrections to the throttle opening, the friction changed and its usefulness was lost.

When I had the BMWs, the Bob's BMW Wrist Rest worked well for a bar end type. It had a slotted roll pin that didn't allow the inner ring that applied friction to the throttle tube to rotate when rolling the throttle off and on. You set the friction once and you can turn the throttle WFO or closed and the friction didn't change.

I actually found a Vista Cruise in my garage recently. Hadn't used it in 11 or 12 years. Thumb lever is dead easy to use and you don't have to remove your hand from the throttle. Trouble was it was flimsy. You set the thumb lever, remove your hand from the throttle and it would flex enough that I'd lose 10-25 mph right away. So, it came off the bike.

I haven't found a good one yet.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #19
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I have a vista cruise, and I hated it. I couldnt get that useless pos off of my bike fast enough. I have it sitting in my garage, and it will probably rot there!

Omni cruise is what I have now, and it seems so far so good. Not to mention it is fair priced for a quality piece.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
RomaDakota
Yes Scotland!

Oddometer: 1,351
I have had 4 different locks on my GS: Kaoko, Kruz, Vista and the Excel. The Excel actually allows locking the throttle where one desires without the need of readjustment.
You just slightly twist your wrist and use the edge of your palm to actuate, on and off. This is the beauty of the Excel.

Edit - I also had the Go-cruise. Actually worked better than I thought it would. Just couldn't get use to the big piece of plastic rotating all of the time.

RomaDakota screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 07:01 PM
RomaDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #21
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
No offense to to anybody that has one, but that Excel contraption just looks dorky as he!!. I wouldn't put one on my bike, just based on looks.

I do have a Throttlemeister on my GS and on my GSX-R. Had the GSX-R one since '98, when I first installed it on my ZX-9R.

The Throttlemeister is not the EASIEST lock to engage. But, I can do it while maintaining a steady speed going down the road. I really don't like any process that involves rolling the throttle off and back on to engage the throttle lock.

All that said, if I had to replace either of my Throttlemeisters for any reason, I would just switch to the Go Cruise. One of my buddies has one and those things work great - and for 20 bucks!

Just offering a counterpoint not a contradiction.

I've owned kaoko, throttlemeister, vista cruise, o-ring, and now the Excel.

I prefer the excel.

Yes, looks "goofy". But the engagement and disengagement is crisp. My experience is that the others listed require more wrist action and timing to lock down than the Excel.

...and it will probably look okay on the OP's DR650 more so than StuartV's GSXR...

Love it. Recommend it.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #22
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,044
Just for the record, after all I said earlier, I needed to get something to use on a borrowed bike for a long riding weekend next month. Initially, I was going to get a Go Cruise. But, then I decided I should also get one to give as a gift to my friend that is loaning me the bike. And since he is probably going on the ride with me, and doesn't have a throttle lock on his other bike, either, that meant I really needed to get 2, so we could both use them on the trip. And then I decided, for gift-giving purposes, the Omni is a lot nicer than the Go Cruise. Plus, I know the Omni will work with no fiddling around and no possibility of having to wrap electrical tape around the grip, etc..

So, I ended up actually ordering 3 of the Omni Cruise locks. #3 being for another friend who has loaned me one of his bikes numerous times in the past. He uses a Go Cruise now, but what the heck. $45 is a pretty small gesture, in the grand scheme of things.

Now I can't wait for the package to arrive!
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #23
Buckeye71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
The Excel is pricey, but worth every penny.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #24
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,581
Well, I got my Go Cruise yesterday and tried it on my morning commute. It did not hold well, and I slowly began losing velocity as soon as I released my grip. I'm sure the bike's vibration was causing it to slip, which I wouldn't have thought would happen with the fat Kuryakyn ISO grips I have on the bike.

Nevertheless... I'm going to try clamping the doohicky (pretty sure that's the technical term) tighter with a zip tie to see if that helps. Otherwise, it's very easy to use.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Well, I got my Go Cruise yesterday and tried it on my morning commute. It did not hold well, and I slowly began losing velocity as soon as I released my grip. I'm sure the bike's vibration was causing it to slip, which I wouldn't have thought would happen with the fat Kuryakyn ISO grips I have on the bike.

Nevertheless... I'm going to try clamping the doohicky (pretty sure that's the technical term) tighter with a zip tie to see if that helps. Otherwise, it's very easy to use.
This is exactly where the omni cruise wins, totally adjustable to any grip and quickly removable. And the rider still uses the thumb to engage.

For the lurkers, this is the link to the forum page..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839403

I recommend reading the first couple pages then the last few. I've made a few posts praising this thing and I don't want to feel like I'm preaching, but want to help fellow riders find an excellent product made by an inmate in the US.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
The bar end types all have one issue. You have to alter your hand postion to engage it. Then you have to reposition the throttle after engagement.
I engage/disengage my TM by reaching over with my left hand and twisting the knob. The right hand never leaves the throttle and my speed does not change.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
This is exactly where the omni cruise wins, totally adjustable to any grip and quickly removable. And the rider still uses the thumb to engage.

For the lurkers, this is the link to the forum page..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839403

I recommend reading the first couple pages then the last few. I've made a few posts praising this thing and I don't want to feel like I'm preaching, but want to help fellow riders find an excellent product made by an inmate in the US.
I thought I'd try to cheaper option first. For $20, it was worth a shot that the Go Cruise would work, and if the zip tie works then it'll be worth it.

If that don't work, then I'll certainly be buying an Omni Cruise, even at $50.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
I've been doing the Vista Cruise thing a long time, made mistakes in the beginning trying to install them.

It seems many people, when their bike doesn't have the right set up to easily install them, try to attach them by drilling a hole in the bottom of the VC and screwing it into the housing.

They really aren't designed to work that way, as there needs to be a little looseness in the setup so the VC doesn't bind, and thus not work.

I found the easiest thing to do was to fashion a bracket out of sheet metal. A vice, hammer, hacksaw is about all that's needed. A file too, get rid of the hacksaw burrs.

This shows what it looks like from the side:

In this case, because the bottom of the housing was so rounded, it's simply a flat piece with 2 tabs for the bottom of the VC. There's a slight amount of play for the VC between the tabs. 1/8 " I'd guess. Ideally, so that the bracket doesn't take up any handgrip space, it's best if it can be mounted on the bottom of the housing and the 2 tabs would stick up. Not in this case, it was so rounded it would have taken too much time to fashion the bracket for that.

The brackets I've made have all been attached with 3m trim tape. They've always held on very well. The bracket is intentionally fairly wide to make sure enough of the tape can do it's job.

This slightly blurry picture shows a diff angle.

Obviously a little more room is needed on the grip handle to fit everything. Rather than trim the end of the grip, got a slightly longer bar end bolt and about a 3/8 sleeve and made everything fit perfectly.

So they're very easy to engage / disengage, extremely easy. No taking your other hand off and reaching over (you know TM's website expressly warns against doing that). There's no pulling in the clutch to adjust anything and then having to reengage and speed up / slow down.

Nothing could be easier to use, and if installed correctly, they work perfectly.

Cheers

AzItLies screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 11:49 AM
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
Nice!
So how far up does your bracket go? Do you have any pics of just the bracket?
I've always wanted to try one of these, but I think they only list them for use with certain Hondas or something. So I didn't.
I figured I could secure the bottom somehow, but I didn't know if there was a difference in the throttle tube diameter or something that would keep them from working.

I've used this one for a few years. But when I started using foam grips, it doesn't work as well.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #30
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
Nice!
So how far up does your bracket go? Do you have any pics of just the bracket?
I've always wanted to try one of these, but I think they only list them for use with certain Hondas or something. So I didn't.
I figured I could secure the bottom somehow, but I didn't know if there was a difference in the throttle tube diameter or something that would keep them from working.

I've used this one for a few years. But when I started using foam grips, it doesn't work as well.
The bracket, from the first pic, goes up to about where the seam is in the hand grip. Don't have any pics of just the bracket, but you can just barely see the top in the pics.

Most of the VC's I've bought have been for Hondas and Yamahas. Pretty sure those are all 7/8" ones. Think it's only the big cruisers that have the bigger bars.

I'd recommend trying it to anyone. The brackets are a pretty easy little project. And once you've gotten it right, they are so easy to use, you'd never go back to anything else.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote