Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #31
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,343
I just got back home. Had a great time, but you know how when you go on a trip you always remember what you forgot after it's too late to go back? Well, this time for me, it was my camera. Just before leaving I checked the weather report and decided to wear a different jacket than I thought I would. The camera was in the pocket of the other jacket. Ah, well.

I have a few cell phone pics and will try to get them posted later this week. I also asked Square4 and GypsyWriter and Whitham_Wannabe to e-mail me any pics they took so I could put together some sort of album.

One thing about a sidecar rally is you get reminded that adventure sidecar types are quite a bit different from mainstream sidecar types. Let's just say we tend to be "slightly more aggressive" in our driving habits.

BTW--GypsyWriter is a sidecar savant. You woulda thought she'd been driving one for years instead of days! She did great and her new DMC sidecar performed flawlessly. Oh, and we did get it dirty. Very, very dirty.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #32
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,498

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #33
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
We just got home too, and will start sorting through the pictures when I get my energy back. Had a fantastic weekend, great folks, great riding, even though it didn't quite end as intended ... we only made it as far as Entiat this morning before the u-joint let go.

Got to watch all you guys coming down Stevens Pass as I was heading back up in the van to go and retrieve the rest of my party

At least one person was happy, as I brought a couch for his ride home ...

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #34
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

More pics! After the Friday morning group lunch, a select group headed out into the back country.

Met up with a chap called JR (white DR), who showed us around for a while.

We found snow.

Group photo.

Sidecar dogs. One of these guys is obedient and well behaved, the other is just pretending.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #35
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

SOMEBODY's happy with their new rig ...

Group ride to lunch ...

Drone, Kirby and Wumpa.

Lunchtime was the 'show and shine'. We showed, but didn't do the shine part ...

Gorgeous Guzzi rig by DMC.

A very nice spot for lunching.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #36
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

After lunch, we took off into the backwoods again.

Found some beautiful places to ride.

So beautiful, I hardly took any pictures at all ...

Saturday night around the campfire, and the dogs are in charge.

Kirby.

Sidecar dog in training, Dixie.

Bruce.

The rest of the pictures can be found here.

Cheers!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #37
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by

[IMG
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww43/whitham_wannabe/ChelanRally5/DSC_0172_zps220f7432.jpg[/IMG]

Sidecar dogs. One of these guys is obedient and well behaved, the other is just pretending.

That's OK Dogs most of us owners are Poseurs though most wouldn't dream of admitting it.DB
A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar.
Mark Twain
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #38
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
We just got home too, and will start sorting through the pictures when I get my energy back. Had a fantastic weekend, great folks, great riding, even though it didn't quite end as intended ... we only made it as far as Entiat this morning before the u-joint let go.

Got to watch all you guys coming down Stevens Pass as I was heading back up in the van to go and retrieve the rest of my party
Oh, man, I'm really sorry to hear that (can't wait to tell my wife!)

But seriously, I went through Entiat at about 10:30am--woulda stopped if I'd seen you. Decided to head on back up to the Entiat Ridge since the weather was a little better. Got a few cell phone pics of the view we would have seen on Friday if it was clear.

On the road to Sugarloaf Lookout--

FR 5200 aka Entiat Summit Road (47.756,-120.533) just up the road a ways from French Corral Junction--

Another shot of the "GS Gang of Five Plus One" --

BTW, the woman in the picture above with the solo DR is WW's better half. And by "better half" I mean WAY better. She rides that DR like a champ! And it's a beautifully set up bike. Funny thing though--any time she gets ahead of the rig with Bruce in it, Bruce starts to howl. And when he howls you can hear it right through your helmet and earplugs from 1/4 mile away! As long as she stays BEHIND the rig, he's happy!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #39
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
[QUOTE=DRONE;21450282]

FR 5200 aka Entiat Summit Road (47.756,-120.533) just up the road a ways from French Corral Junction--

Another shot of the "GS Gang of Five Plus One" --

QUOTE]

This picture reminde me the good old time, the first GS gang in Claude's RDV rally in PA in 2007, the three early GS rig in the East, from left to right, beemerchef (Ara), Twintwin (Didier), Stroker (David).

And this one, at the National in VT in 2010, Twintwin, DirtyDR (Dana), and Stroker
twintwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #40
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, Sunny said she saw you go past about 15 minutes after I left, but no worries, there was nothing to do anyway. This thing wasn't going anywhere except in the back of a trailer!

And we'll have less of the 'better half' comments, thank you very much ...

Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #41
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,407
Aww crap I'm sorry you guys had trouble!! We actually ended up helping Steve (I forget his ADV handle?) get his 1150GSA home after the clutch slave went belly up. I didn't get pictures of that part, but I did manage a few iPhone pics of the weekend.

On the way up to the rally, Drone and I (but mostly Drone) helped a Suzuki Boulevard with a dead battery to no avail, the guy got a mile before the battery let out again. AAA to the rescue, but we kept going.

Stopped off for dinner in Leavenworth for lunch, great little German town.

There were some fun setups out there.

Then the off road rides, I'm PISSED that I didn't bring my GoPro!!

Met up by coincidence with another local guy who knew a ton about the roads, he became our guide for the day!

I gotta give my Dude a lot of credit, he made a most excellent monkey!

And Dixie the pup thought the size of the sidecar was overkill but she sat great as long as mama was driving.

We had some fun at the lodge where everyone gathered. Decent view and gravel road up, although us GSers were dying at the pace of the road bikes on the gravel.

God, but I adore this bike!!!

Then we were back on (or rather OFF) road again! I got no pictures this time unfortunately but we found some fantastic trails, managed to find folks who helped us out, and had a ton of fun.

Until we got to the highway and hit the storm. Hail and lightening and WET - while those of us with rain gear mobilized to try and prevent getting soaked, everyone else (looks at WW and co.) decided to tough it out back to camp. It was miserable but not horrid, we all made it back although one of us had our clutch go out. :(

Then we got together and hung out by the fire.

WW became Bruce's unwitting pillow. :)

Before finally getting up and losing his seat.

(As you can see, Bruce was the star of the show for us)

The hardest part was saying goodbye. We both enjoyed our time immensely with everyone, and I'm HUGELY thankful to Drone for giving me tips on how to ride a sidecar and throwing me into the deep end offroad and otherwise. This certainly wasn't how I imagined I'd learn how to navigate a sidecar hack, but goddamn it was WONDERFUL!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #42
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,512
Man,I'm sad I couldn't make it this year!!.
I have to save ALL my vacation ( 3 weeks )for our ride up to Deadhorse next month.If I still have Black Sunshine next year WE WILL BE THERE !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #43
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, we missed you this year! D'Lynn was talking about different plans for next year, so I'm not sure how that'll work out. We will be doing something,incorporating more of the type of riding that we want to do either as part of the CSR or otherwise. Either way we'll post up about it here!

One of the stangest things about this year's CSR ... not a single Ural? Where were all the Soviet Steeds?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #44
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

I think it would be cool to have a traveling rally next year.Have a starting point and everyday have a route that is about 100-150 miles long and end at a campground ( with motels nearby for us old folks !!).Make it 3-4 days and see some cool areas,maybe have some dirt/gravel options!!.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #45
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

I now see that this is what we are doing !!!.
Coooooool...