Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Question First Trip - First Post! - Toronto to Alaska

Hi Everybody!
I am graduating from Mechanical Engineering in a couple weeks and I am planning a trip to Alaska. I have spent countless hrs on this forum and I cannot thank all of you enough for the wealth of knowledge I have gained from your experience.

As the title says, this is my first extended trip. I go camping a lot, I have done week long canoe trips, and have gone camping on my bike, so I have experience putting myself through some ugly stuff, but nothing super long with a bike. I also do a lot of trail riding and am considering doing an Enduro or 2 on my EXC 200 when I get back. I bought a KLR that has a lot of the standard mods done to it: the doo, aftermarket piston, luggage, skid plate, highways pegs, heated grips, hand guards, I'm thinking of buying a new seat...

I have done a lot of reading about the bike and what should be done, so i think I'm good on that front, but at this point I don't have much of an itinerary. I am leaving from Toronto, Trans-Canada to Calgary to see friends, up to Edmonton to see family, then upwards and onwards to Yukon and Alaska. On the way home stopping through Vancouver to see family and then trans-Canada all the way home. I have the months of May and June to travel.

That literally is the most detail my plan has right now. I am looking for recommendations for ways to get up north, things to do up north, thing I have to see, places I have to go etc.... I had read about the D2D in another thread posted very recently, but I am starting a new job the beginning of July and will have to leave before then. If there are any other recommendations you have for a first timer (what to expect, what not to do, etc...) anything is much appreciated!

Sorry for the long winded open-ended post, but I look forward to hearing from all of you!

Bam

Also, the bike is currently lowered 2 inches I think. Is this something you would recommend against for a trip to Alaska? I have no idea how demanding some of the roads/trails will be there.

Bambooda screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 08:50 PM
Bambooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
The website www.klr650.net has considerable information on preping your bike for the ride north.

Plus, a book I'd recommend for purchase prior to the trip is The Adventurous Motorcyclist's Guide to Alaska by Lee Klancher & Phil Freeman. Excellent summaries of all the key stops a motorcyclist would want to make. Also has several chapters on trip planning as well.

You'll remember this trip forever and most likely repeat it again in the future.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooda View Post
I'm thinking of buying a new seat...
If it has the stock seat on it now, that is probably an excellent idea.

Quote:
Trans-Canada to Calgary to see friends, up to Edmonton to see family, then upwards and onwards to Yukon and Alaska. On the way home stopping through Vancouver to see family and then trans-Canada all the way home. I have the months of May and June to travel.
Trans-Canada on a KLR? You'll change your mind before you go 1000 kms. Route yourself along some good, secondary highways where you can enjoy the ride without having to fear being run over by trucks. If you have the time, dropping below the border and following some interesting U. S. highways might be worth your while.

From Calgary, do yourself a favor (again, if you have the extra time) and ride over to Lake Louise, then take the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper, then backtrack on 16 to Edmonton. A nice bit of highway for the KLR to enjoy.

Quote:
That literally is the most detail my plan has right now. I am looking for recommendations for ways to get up north, things to do up north, thing I have to see, places I have to go etc.... I had read about the D2D in another thread posted very recently, but I am starting a new job the beginning of July and will have to leave before then. If there are any other recommendations you have for a first timer (what to expect, what not to do, etc...) anything is much appreciated!
D2D is the 20th and 21st of June, with most everyone leaving Dawson City the morning of the 22nd. You could take a week to get back to Toronto and still make it before July 1st, even on a KLR. Isn't July 1 a holiday in Canada?

Quote:
Also, the bike is currently lowered 2 inches I think. Is this something you would recommend against for a trip to Alaska? I have no idea how demanding some of the roads/trails will be there.
If the bike, as lowered, fits you, leave it as is. I have probably taken my Gold Wing over roads and trails as rough as any you'll encounter on your trip. This won't be a trip across Siberia. We have some pretty decent highways (including the gravel ones) up this way.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
GerryM
On the road again

Oddometer: 14
Bambooda,

Can't help with your planning, I have no experience with long trips. Just wanted to say good luck, keep us posted and get plenty of pictures. I am just a tad envious right now.

Gerry
GerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies guys, all great advice, I look forward to hearing more!

Alcan, I appreciate your suggestion for avoiding the Trans-Canada, I'll try to plan some smaller highways. I also really like your suggestion for going through the mountains and back out to Edmonton, I used to live in Calgary so I have been to Lake Louise before, but that was over 10 years ago and not on a motorcycle, I can't wait to go back!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Welcome Bam....I live an hour north of Toronto and have been to the D2D twice now. I also own a KLR an 04. You must swap out the seat! It will ruin you before to get 4 hours from home.....there is nothing worse than being constantly in pain from your seat when trying to get somewhere. It is the most important item for your trip. I made a Corbin flat copy and it has served me well for both of my cross Canada trips. PM me and I'd be happy to talk about your trip if you want.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Icefields Parkway
Laird Hot Springs
Dawson City
Top of the World Highway
Chena Hot Springs
Kenai Peninsula
Homer Spit for camping
Denali National Park
Salmon Bake in Tok Alaska
Glacier Ice House Anchorage
Snow Ctty Cafe for breakfast Anchorage
Bush Company Anchorage
Humpy's Anchorage
Portage Glacier on way to Kenai Peninsula
And a whole lot of other great places...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Did a Vancouver to Alaska trip in 2007 on my F650GS. Best advice I can give is get yourself a current version of a Milepost. Tons of information and is literally worth its weight.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post

Humpy's Anchorage
This one sounds interesting in particular
Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
PhotoMotoAdv
PhotoGuy

Oddometer: 92
Have fun, Bam, I wish our dates would coincide, but you will probably be headed home when I leave Florida in mid-June. Enjoy the ride, and may it be an epic one!
PhotoMotoAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #11
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Did a Vancouver to Alaska trip in 2007 on my F650GS. Best advice I can give is get yourself a current version of a Milepost. Tons of information and is literally worth its weight.
+1
if you are going to buy only one book this is the one to get
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Hey Everybody, just wanted to say thanks again for the advice and information. 1 Week 'till departure! I'll do my best to keep everyone updated on how she goes!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Also, I'm looking for a travel buddy, someone who would want to do the Dempster, go to Prudhoe Bay, etc...I don't know if I would want to venture out there alone. If anybody is going to be out there around May/early June, PM me and hopefully we can set something up!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Waterboiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Last year I did TO to vancover and back on a Vstrom.

A few things to consider:

1. Fuel - do not pass up an opportunity to tank. Take 17 north thru Ontario very scenic but fuel is far between. Longest stretch is probably near 150 km but it may be another 125 to the next one. Thunder Bay to Dryden 360 KM only sure fuel between is Ignace - do not pass without tanking.

2. Winds on the open praires will be a challange. I got beat up bad on the Vstrom, I suspect the KLR will be worse. Go for it but be ready. If you get a head wind expect fuel range to plummet.

3. Daily distance - I did a couple of 1000 km days on the bigger roads west of Winnipeg but was limited to about 700 in Ontario due to speed limits / OPP presence and stops for scenery.

4. Speeds on the Praries. West of Winterpeg the limit is 110 - even the big rigs roll 120 - how comfortable are you rolling the KLR that fast ? Consider HWY 16 up to Edmonton or other options.

5. Tires - consider putting on some knobbies up north and running west on dual sports. I put pilot road 3's on my Vstrom for the ride west and they were a big improvement for the open road.

6. Mechanical Abilility: Seeing as you are an ME, bring some tools and be ready to use them. Make sure you have a chain tool and bits to deal with a chain break. Also consider a spare clutch cable along with a small selection of bulbs and fuses.

Calgary-Banff-Jasper is amazing, take some time it is a must do.
Waterboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
NightProwler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Humpys is a must for halibut nuggets

The great alaskan bush company is a must for the best scenery the north has to offer
NightProwler is offline   Reply With Quote