User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #16
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thumbs down Oops

Update: last night while removing the cam chain guide to remove the current shims, I dropped a small bolt into the engine... Looks like I may be getting to know this bike reeeeaaally well. Hopefully it doesn't postpone my trip!!
Bambooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #17
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Update Update: Man vs. Bolt

Man: 1, Bolt: 0
HAHAHAAAA!!!! YEAH THAT'S RIGHT, FUCK YOU BOLT!!!!

Went down the street to the handy-dandy Canadian Tire and got myself a Handy-dandy magnetic probe (the fancy one too), and after a long hard struggle through magnetos and cam chains, the bolt finally succumbed to the might and will of a determined and desperate man!

Now lets just hope someone has my shim sizes in stock...

Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
PhotoMotoAdv
PhotoGuy

Oddometer: 92
Have fun and enjoy every minute of it - even when the sky is falling down! Will be following you here.
PhotoMotoAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #19
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
The local BMW dealer will have shims cheaper than a Kawi dealer and will be able to get them overnight in most cases. If you know the number of the shim I can give you the BMW part number for each shim as they will not sell you a shim if you tell them it is going inside a KLR, stupid I know but that is what I came across at two dealerships. Legalities etc they quoted....call me and I'll give them to you if you want. Avisciouscycle is your other best friend for cheap prices on shims, but sometimes they too need to order them in. Gone are the days when shops actually stocked small parts all the time.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #20
Waterboiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooda View Post
Man: 1, Bolt: 0
HAHAHAAAA!!!! YEAH THAT'S RIGHT, FUCK YOU BOLT!!!!

Went down the street to the handy-dandy Canadian Tire and got myself a Handy-dandy magnetic probe (the fancy one too), and after a long hard struggle through magnetos and cam chains, the bolt finally succumbed to the might and will of a determined and desperate man!

Now lets just hope someone has my shim sizes in stock...

Awesome! That is the spirt that will carry you north and back safely.

Ride on brother ...

Waterboiler screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 02:43 PM
Waterboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

KLR Mods

There are a couple mods I came up with that I hadn't seen anywhere else and came up with myself, so I figured I'd share it with you guys since I've learned so much from other people!

I was told the caps on the tool tubes can sometimes pop off and you can be left watching your tools get strewn across the highway as they fall out one by one. So this is a safety 'latch', I guess you could call it, I came up for the tubes. I made it out of some coat hanger and bent it so that it is spring loaded when located over the square 'knob', so if in the event the cap does vibrate loose, it can't come off all the way. To remove it you simply bend it over and off the knob of the cap (elastically), and then do the same to put it back on. Super simple! Since the cap has a single start thread (unlike something such as a pop bottle, or jar of pickles) you can guarantee the cap is in the same position each time.

It's not pretty, but neither is driving around with bits of plumbing strapped to you bike so I guess it's ok . And besides, I would pick ugly over losing my tools/gear any day of the week.

Here is a wrench I made for the tubes which I use to crank down the caps. It also works a bit like an anti-theft device too, as the tubes are almost impossible to open by hand once they are cranked down with this baby. I worked as a machinist/welder/general labourer in a shop for 2 summers while attending school, and used machines a lot at school, so I'm pretty comfortable on a milling machine. If you don't have one available to you, a file and a ton of patience will get you similar results

Finally, I am not a fan of Philips heads, and something that was also recommended to me was to swap them out with SHCS. Everyone who has a KLR knows about the big #3 Philips screws with the extra wide head that hold the body panels on. Well I didn't like those very much, so I switched them to SHCS, but didn't want to worry about keeping track of extra pieces on the side of the road if I had to take things apart so I attached washers using Gasket maker. I haven't tried this before so I don't know how well it will work, but I think it may make my life just a pinch easier.

Well, that's all I got for now! I'll try to keep everyone updated if I come up with any more 'KLR cheap' mods

Bambooda screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 09:19 PM
Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #22
Waterboiler
Adventurer

I see there was no need to worry about your mechanical skills to handle any issues that come up on the road.

If not already there consider adding a cheap multi-meter to your tool kit. If you run into any electrical issues, it looks like you have the know how to make good use of it.

Oh yea, have fun!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #23
willys
Beastly Adventurer

I see you are getting ready seriously now...lol....do yourself another favor....add a second set of straps to your tool tube as the single set will possible snap where they fold over the sharp edge of the engine highway peg guard, yep, ask me how I learned....lol.
You have the true farklistis bug now....excellent...keep it up.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

This bike DOES have suspension!!!

I raised the bike up to its stock height today and MAN what a difference! I Love it! It almost feels like a real dirtbike!!!! It handles so much better, and oddly enough I feel more comfortable at lower speeds... Also, not as much dive when braking and I don't ALWAYS bottom out when driving on anything rougher than a basketball court. (as a bonus, I can actually get the damn thing to wheelie now haha. She still needs a fair amount of encouragement, unlike my EXC 200 )

One problem though...It looks like my bike has had a couple too many beers and is about to keel over ; I'm pretty sure with a full tank it would, lucky I have 250km on this one. The previous owner cut the sidestand and shortened it in order to compensate for lowering it.

But have no fear! I am in the process of fixing it (and no, it is not by carrying around a hockey puck with me, although I did consider that for a moment)... I will leave you all in suspense and unveil the masterpiece tomorrow once it is finished.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #25
Waterboiler
Adventurer

Do not leave the hockey puck at home though, or something similar to put under the stand on a soft surface.

You would be surprized just how quick a stand will sink into soft pavement in the heat when you stop for a bathroom break - don't ask how I know :)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #26
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Ditto on the sidestand tarmac destroyer! Just look at my driveway! I supply rubber pads now for anyone who stops here. I have spent way too many hours hammering the hot tarmac back into shape. Damn!
You will want to carry somesort of lightwieght pad as said for the soft shoulders and dirt areas, unless you are looking for dead lifting practice...lol. I usually carry a piece of 1/8" alluminum plate maybe 4"X5" in my tank bag side pocket, anything that will fit in the pocket is good over nothing.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #27
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Yaarrrr!!! Me bike be a pirate!!!

Here she is! Now with a peg leg!

I started by finding a grade 9 1/2-20 UNF bolt, and ran a die down the length to essentially make it 4 inches of badass threaded rod, then spun a couple of plugs on the lathe as seen here

then assembled it like so and TIG welded the rod to the plug on the foot, and then both the plugs into the repective ends on the stand.

VOILA! Extendable (pirate like) side stand! So now when I load the bike with 305298743295lbs of gear, I can adjust accordingly!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #28
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Looks very KLRista for sure! How heavy is it? Does it still stay safely up when you go over a hard bump? That was my fear, but if it works well, I want one too! Wanna spin up a few more plugs?
I also think you over estimated the weight by 5lbs....lol. Did you get the heavier rear spring? I forget if you said you were going to order one? You might if you don't drop a few lbs from that riding weight....just a few.....should do it.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #29
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Ride report!!

The adventure has begun!!!!!!

Here is my Ride report!, feel free to follow along!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post21373586