User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
Glock owner
Bad Example

Oddometer: 63
Inversion Table

Try hanging upside down. I've been doing it for several years now. In 2007 my back was killing me after some work related issues and a car accident. I bought an inversion table and at first there was pain hanging upside down and it was several months before I saw a positive improvement. Now I rarely have back pain. When I do experience LBP it was after moving ~80, 110 LB patio stones or some other strenuous job. I work as an x-ray tech, so slugging pulling and pushing incapacitated obese patients happens almost daily with no pain.
Glock owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,184
L2-L3 herniated, and T5-T7 fused. I'm with Gadget Girl, sport touring ergos are the most comfy for me. I could put a ton of miles with very little discomfort on my Busa. My GS was one of the worst, seemed like all the pressure was sitting on my lower back.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
smokeeater495 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Again, thanks for all the replys. Pain meds are not the direction I want to go. I do have an inversion table and it REALLY makes a difference. My current ride, a 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050, is probably the most comfortable street bike I've owned. I've had 2 Harley dressers and they killed by back. The legs forward position opened up the muscles in my low back, not good. My next bike will most likely be a GS, I would think it's ergo's are similar to the Tiger.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
I am 46 years old and constantly deal with a 25yo low back injury. Basically the disk at my L5 is shot. I am fortunate that through physical fitness and my chiropractor I am able to keep working as a firefighter. I experience some pain and stiffness on longer rider, over 2 hours.
Are there any others out there with similar issues and how have you dealt with it?
Constant stretching, Acupuncture and new the new Ducati/Audi 3 wheeler.
prince_ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,033
I also have a 1050 Tiger and found the stock bars were too high and fit a set of MSR dirt bike bars which lowered the height about 2 inches .
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #21
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Individual approach

Looks like it, that the key is in an individual approach: adjust what needs adjusting to make you comfortable over longer distances. That all varies with the exact type of back-problem you have and to which extend it has grown.

I can add to this that the seat obviously is also important. I had the seat on my motor scooter (ride a BMW K1100LT now) back then altered by a craftsman so that it would give me just a notch of extra support in the lower back. Just that bit that gives the support where you need it. The latter again would depend on the situation of course. My K series now has a king-queen saddle (comfortsadle) which I think needs some adjusting as well, so in a few months I will take care of that as well.

It may pay off to exchange standard seats with custom made ones.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #22
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,229
Back around 1992 I crushed/fractured several vertebrae in a vehicular accident. I Have T2-T4 fused with two disks removed. T1 and 5 were also damaged. Fast forward 20 years and I have degenerative arthritis, spinal stenosis along with a pinched radial nerve at T1 and that last disc is bulged and beaten down from 15yrs of acting like an idiot {lifting and running} trying to act like nothing ever happened.

I agree with others on here, sport touring ergos work best for me. My DL650 hurts my back alot more and my XR650L kills me especially if I hit plenty of dirt road stuff.

I hate to say it but man, nothing much helps. Chiropractors have not worked for me {tried a couple}, I have been on all sorts of drugs and got a bleeding ulcer from too much Tylenol. Doctors told me no more Tylenol and started me on tramadol and I actually got addicted to tramadal {stay away from that crap} and it was pure hell quiting but I did so all on my own. I really messed my liver up from Celabrex and Ibuprophen and after that,,,, I just refused to take pain meds beyond a couple of Ibuprophen or Tylenol. I keep those under a couple a day and never more than a couple three days straight.

About four years ago the back issues really flaired and I came really close to getting additional surgery {burning the radial nerve} but I'm really scared that my luck, it will make things worse. I already have issues with my left leg {weaker, alot less feeling than the right} and I've decided to bear it as long as I can. I know the above isn't what you wanted to read, but that's the way it is at least for me. I hope your condition isn't the same.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #23
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
Again, thanks for all the replys. Pain meds are not the direction I want to go. I do have an inversion table and it REALLY makes a difference. My current ride, a 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050, is probably the most comfortable street bike I've owned. I've had 2 Harley dressers and they killed by back. The legs forward position opened up the muscles in my low back, not good. My next bike will most likely be a GS, I would think it's ergo's are similar to the Tiger.
I'm with you 100% on the pain drugs, not suggesting it be a long term route for anyone. The pain makes me really grumpy and I have to admit a little nuts if I don't use them, a bit like a wonder drug. Add 2 airplane crashes, 3 motorcycle bouts with cages, and a host of car wrecks after the initial spine injury and I really feel lucky to be alive, back pain or not.

I'll look into the inversion table.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #24
Lamontacycle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Lumbar advice

I'm 56. I had a disk lamectomy in December as well as removal of spinal stenosis. I had a very good surgeon in Bend, OR. I was back on my feet same day, ALL pain that I had suffered the previous 3 years was gone immediately. I am 4 months past surgery, still working on strengthening abs and lower back, but 100% better. A few, brief pieces of advice:

I couldn't take OTC pain killers due to kidney damage. A nephrologist (kidney doc.) prescribed tramidol. It cut the edge off the pain so that I could still work and drive - wouldn't take it before work or driving, though.

My motorcycle was much more comfortable to drive to work than either of my cars, hence, I was riding to work every day possible. If you think about it, riding a motorcycle correctly requires everything in your spine to be in allignment. Cars don't. However, you will need an upright riding position, and seat/pegs where your upper legs will be parallel to the ground. Don't be thinking riding is "out" for you. In fact it might be your best form of transportation - you may have to change bikes, though

Wife is a yoga therapist. Some is helpful. Some is harmful. Be VERY careful with this. Some will consider yoga a cureall. Do only moves that decompress your spine (like child's pose) done do things that bend and pinch (forward fold). Only go to a trained and certified yoga therapist - yes, they are out there. My wife is one.

Decompression helps. I borrowed a friend's inversion table. You only need about 15 degrees of slant, which can be done with a 2 by 10 plank.

Artificial disks. They can only do one disk. Most of us 'of age' have multiple issues, like L2 to L4. When one goes out, eventually several will

Good luck - I feel your pain
Lamontacycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 691
there seem to be a lot of us, and we KEEP ON RIDING!

I too am a 20+ year (call) firefighter, age 57, with some back issues, and I just started riding again. I am also a psychotherapist at my "day job" and deal with helping clients with chronic pain. Every back injury is different as is each person's experience of the quality of pain and their tolerance for pain. At times pain meds are over-prescribed, leading to tolerance, addiction, etc. Other times they are under-prescribed leading to, obviously, PAIN, but also depression, anxiety, relationship problems, etc.. Trying NOT to let pain stop you from enjoying recreational activities (like RIDING!) is important. I personally would not feel good about taking opiates and riding, as any amount slows down your perceptions and reflexes. Taking them AFTER, to help ease pain may be great for some folks. There are many treatments to help address back issues and everyone should find good docs and explore all those options (surgery, injection, etc, etc.), depending on the injury; muscular issues are not the same as disc issues, etc.. Again some work to some treatments work to some extent for some people. PT, alternative treatments (acupuncture), exercise, yoga, stretching etc. etc. also work for some. I think you need to be very aggressive seeking treatments/doctors until you feel you have explored all your options. Finally, here in Mass there is a well-known pain program that uses multiple treatment methods, including meditation and psychotherapy; many people have reported this program effective.

Obviously, the ergonomics of the bike could make a huge difference, and folks should experiment with their bike to see what works best for them. Again, no single solution works for everybody.

Good luck and happy riding to all!

Steven Wright
flei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #26
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
There is a lot of good advice here....

I'm turning 40 in a month (perhaps young by some in this group, but in an Xray, I look 75).

My first visit to a chiropractor was when I was 10 yrs old. I have a mild scoliosis, not to mention all the trauma I have put my spine through - some doing dumb things, some athletic things, and some embarrassing things.

That said, I managed to play semi-pro football into my mid 30's. I own a fitness company so keeping in shape is part of my job and will help me to do the things I love longer.

I've also had my share of incapacitating back and neck pain. I've got a lot of the issues that others have already mentioned here. Here's some random advice - perhaps it's only worth what you paid for it though....

Things you can control:

-flexibility
-mobility
-core strength
-how much you weigh and how it's distributed
-overall condition/strength

Don't underestimated the power of PROPER stretching and core strength. I agree with Lamontacycle - some people say 'oh, I need to stretch' so they run to yoga class. You can do way more damage doing that if the instructor is not aware of your situation and doesn't have a strong anatomy/rehab background. I know fit personal trainers that have hurt their healthy bodies in yoga class.

Assemble a team:

As a trainer, I hate when someone with one chronic condition that never gets any better says "I gotta go see my guy". If you get absolute recovery from that, great. But if not, you need to look for a fresh set of eyes and possibly multiple disciplines to get the best results. Never stop looking and trying new things. I've seen tons of chronic injuries get significant relief or complete healing when a client finally combines their normal treatment with 1-2 other things. (or quits their regular treatment altogether).

There are so many forms of bodyworkers out there that you do yourself a disservice by not constantly seeking it out. If one chiro didn't work, it doesn't mean that others won't work well for you. There's huge variance in how they apply the knowledge and different schools of thought.

- Massage therapists, acupuncture, physical therapist, personal trainers, physiotherapist, IMS, ART, myofascial release, rolfing, structural integration..... there are countless different ways to look at the body and within each discipline, different treatment philosophies exist.

Riding -

Like most have said - ergos are key.

That slight lean forward, with your feet underneath you can take about 30% (maybe more?) of the load from your spine and distribute it to your legs and arms. That can be enough to be more comfortable.

There's a lot of great info here. If you need help with anything or want to bounce some ideas off me, feel free to PM.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #27
Dark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
I'm 53, have had back problems for about 12 years. I ride a R1100RT, bar backs helped. But my biggest gain came from getting a TRX suspension trainer a couple of years ago & started working on my core strength. I am in the habit of lifting free weights about 3 time a week & have done that for 20 years. The TRX compliments the free weights really well & I can take it with when I travel for work. Core strength has been key for me.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #28
Arkansasrider
LOST

Oddometer: 170
After 2nd lumbar surgery in 2010, I started loosing strengh in my legs, neuropathy in legs and feet, poor balance etc. Just sold my last bike. Hope everyone else with these problems can find something that helps and can keep on doing this crazy thing we all love.
Arkansasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock owner View Post
Try hanging upside down. I've been doing it for several years now. In 2007 my back was killing me after some work related issues and a car accident. I bought an inversion table and at first there was pain hanging upside down and it was several months before I saw a positive improvement. Now I rarely have back pain. When I do experience LBP it was after moving ~80, 110 LB patio stones or some other strenuous job. I work as an x-ray tech, so slugging pulling and pushing incapacitated obese patients happens almost daily with no pain.
+1 on the hanging upside down. I had the L1/S5 operated on in '93, fused in '03 and it was bugging me again in '13. So Walmart online, best price for an Ironman 5800. Nice well built fully adjustable 350 LB capacity delivered, don't go $99 cheap with this. Ease into it at first. It kept me away from the MRI machine again so far.

I have a Tiger 1050 and an '11 GSA, both of them have bar risers, tall wind screen so when I ride, my back is straight up, neutral sitting position like your supposed to do sitting in a chair at a computer. No slouching and maybe a bit of forward lean with minimal pressure on the bars. Sit as if somebody is pulling your hair straight up. Then get your feet under your hips so you are sitting on your hips/thighs not your tailbone. I am 6'3" tall torso so not many bikes fit and then require adjustment and a good seat.

+1 on the stretching, do some 1/4 or 1/2 sits ups to keep the abs in shape. Got a kettle bell??

Friends with bad backs don't let friends with bad backs ride cruisers
Gillus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #30
Rotex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
I never thought I would ride again!

I was injured at work as a Youth correctional Officer during a riot. I have had the back of my lower lumbar removed. Lamina and spinous process has been removed. The only thing that protects my spine is scar tissue. This was done so that I can use my legs. I have permanent spinal cord damage that cause great deal of pain. Have tried all kinds of voodoo numerous back surgeries drugs and more drugs. I never thought I would ever ride again. I now have a intrathecal pain pump that delivers Fentanyl Directly into my spinal cord where the the pain is. This means a lot less medication is required. I don't feel so much like a drunken moron. I understand every back injury is different. This pump has allowed me tolerate the pain so that I can do some of the activities I love. I injured my back 13 years ago and have had the pump for about 2 years. It has changed my life for the better. To be able to do things I thought I would never be able to do. Talked to your Doctor about a pump. I know what its like to live in pain I feel for all of you. Don't give up. I ride a BMW 1200 GSA 2 up with my wife. I need her to ride with me so she can get the bike off of me when we dump it. Feel fee to contact me.