Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #16
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,523
I duck behind the screen and close my eyes.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #17
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,690
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
I've had three bad experiences with birds.

Um..........

It must just be you.

When I first saw this thread I passed it by. Thinking that the OP must live somewhere with a crazy amount of birds because I've ridden for 33 years and hundreds of thousands of miles in Colorado and never had this issue.

Then out of curiosity to see where all these bird strike problems are I opened the thread to see that you live just miles from me Colorado isn't exactly thick with birds.

So, my conclusion.......it's you. You are some sort of bird magnet

Out of curiosity. What bike are you riding? I did feel like birds dive bombed me and were generally "more in the way" when I was on my 2007 R1 than any other bike. But never had any contacts.

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #18
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Turkeys are becoming a problem here in NH, since their reintroduction 30 years ago, they have become so successful, I don't think F&G has a big enuf bag limit

about 10 years ago, a fellow on Goldwing was killed by a turkey, nearby

personally, I travel enuf that locally, I know where to expect them, the average rider would not have that knowledge
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #19
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,919
I don't really think there's much you can do. In the late summer around here, we get these tiny finches in the grass right by the edge of the road. Every time a vehicle approaches they all freak out and explode out of the grass RIGHT INTO THE ROAD in a huge flock. Two years ago driving from Ruidoso to ABQ on the byways in our Xterra, we must have killed several dozen of those small birds. Last year I hit at least three on my motorcycles.

Now...the huge birds of prey and carrion birds? Would NOT want to hit one of those. Best I can say is keep your eyes open and if you see one on the side of the road ahead, slow down!

In the mountains here, lately the wild turkey population has exploded. These birds are fucking dumb too and travel in huge flocks and walk right across the road in front of you.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #20
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,178
Dodged a couple of buzzards in Big Bend last week...

Returned through the Hill Country and damned near got a turkey just northeast of Brackettville...

As mentioned earlier, certain birds and a few older gentlemen urinate on their legs to dissipate heat...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
cb1313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Buzzards

Here in Arkansas buzzards and road kill are common. The birds don't want to leave their kill so I slow down and blast the horns.
I approached about 4 birds and after slowing down and blasting the horn the birds took off...... well sort of....... one of the birds flew around and CRAPPED on me. I always carry water so cleaned myself and continued my ride.

Cb
cb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #22
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
2003 out for a sunny afternoon ride on my 954RR in Madison County VA. One of these flew out of the ditch and caught me square in the chest.....

Somehow got the bike stopped, fell off into the road without an ounce of wind left in me. Old couple saw the whole thing and stopped to check on me. Huge bruise and my JR leathers stunk like ass for at lesat a month. Killed the fucker dead......
Two years ago I was riding around a bend in Seneca Creek Park along the Potomac surprised to discover one of these GIANT beasties standing right in front of me. Brake and swerve, I'm certain I brushed its feathers. It never even moved.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #23
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
rogue owls
Excellent.

Copped a blow to the helmet from a pigeon once in south London as it took off. Even at only 30mph it was a hefty if muffled impact.

Was attacked by a buzzard a few years back while cycling in wild west Wales. First I knew of the bird was a massive blow to the top of the head as I rode along a dead-straight, quiet lane in the mountains. I thought someone had thrown a piece of wood at me until I spotted the buzzard flying on ahead. Carried on riding and about 30 seconds later received a second, even harder blow to the top of the head, hard enough to make me stop. Lacerated scalp from the talons, plenty of blood...

The bird was circling above the trees lining the road so I removed my front wheel for use as a shield if needed and walked to the end of the line of trees. When it, presumably, recognised me as a human it flew away. My guess is that it mistook my brown-haired head for a rabbit - the European buzzard's usual prey. I had a job explaining the cause of the injuries to the Spanish locum doctor at the local hospital later.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
Here in Arkansas buzzards and road kill are common. The birds don't want to leave their kill so I slow down and blast the horns.
I approached about 4 birds and after slowing down and blasting the horn the birds took off...... well sort of....... one of the birds flew around and CRAPPED on me. I always carry water so cleaned myself and continued my ride.

Cb
I know that buzzard!!! He nearly got me the other day on my way to work. Fortunately, he missed and nailed the poor trucker behind me.

If you see 'em... like buzzards or crows on the side of the road, slow down and duck.

Otherwise, there isn't much you can do to avoid birds. Hiding (cowering, really) behind a huge windscreen usually works for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #25
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,583
About 81 or 82 I was riding at night when some bird hit the quarter faring in my KZ550 slid up and hit me in the helmet. My hands lost grip, I fell back, my head ht the tail section (I think) and I bounced back up, somehow found the bars, I was right on the edge of the pavement on the wrong side. I regained control, got back on the correct side and stopped. None of it was skill, just not my time I guess. Few feathers, a little blood and a very very sore neck. Long ride home at reduced speeds.

Hit a Robin once with my leg. Damn beak put a hole in my shin.

Rod

ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
DepthFinder
Portly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
I've been told the vultures circle back to their meal immediately after passing, and to watch out if I was the second bike.

Sure enough, riding on 281, 4 of them were tearing into a coyote. My buddy blast at them sending them scattering into the air, and then circling right back into the path of where I would have been had I not slowed to a crawl.

They were big enough that one could have dragged it to a ditch if they had the smarts.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #27
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
An incident like this once saved my life! I was young and in love and even though I was too tired and freezing I kept going on through the dark woods of Norway, straaaaaaaiiiiight...boooooring...until I was almost there and relaxed...in front of a bend.Do not know how long my eyes were closed, but I guess one second more and I would have gone straight into the ditch...if there is a god, he must have sent this bird. It hit hard on my chest and I was very awake the rest of the trip...: )
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #28
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Two years ago I was riding around a bend in Seneca Creek Park along the Potomac surprised to discover one of these GIANT beasties standing right in front of me. Brake and swerve, I'm certain I brushed its feathers. It never even moved.
Stinky bastard hit me almost instantly. Right hand corner with two oncoming trucks, second being the couple that actually stopped, embankment was wooded and just below my shoulder level, just caught a climpse of black and BAM!

hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #29
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post

So what do you do to keep 'em off of you?

Ummm...

DUCK?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #30
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post

DUCK?

DUCK!