User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Nutsert or Helicoil

just stripped a m6 screw that holds on my ktm muffler. I obviously need to redo the threads to enable another m6 bolt to be utilized. easiest way is a helicoil. however on the muffler that will be removed a few times per year is the helicoil reliable enough?

another option is a nutsert. trouble is I don't own the tool. can I install these nutserts with a rivet gun?

give me insight into what would be the best solution given my situation.

thanks heaps. apologies for no caps and not a wealth of info but the arm is in a cast and only have one finger typing at the moment.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,038
Helicoils are fine IF THEY ARE INSTALLED CORRECTLY which is not the easiest thing to do without at least some fixturing to keep everything aligned to same axis.

Any chance you can just go up to an M8 instead, and drill and tap the hole larger?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,211
Check out Timesert

http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
I recently repaired some stripped threads in an aluminum casting w/ Permacoils (similar to helicoil but less $$$ and Napa carries them) successfully....a drill bit of the exact size specified on the package is also required but the special tap and a metal installation tool are included in the kit. As was said you need to be very careful to drill and tap straight...

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Nutzerts are more for threading into sheet metal. Heli coil is for repairing (or reinforcing) threads in solid metal.

So what is this metal you will be screwing into?
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Helicoils are fine IF THEY ARE INSTALLED CORRECTLY which is not the easiest thing to do without at least some fixturing to keep everything aligned to same axis.

Any chance you can just go up to an M8 instead, and drill and tap the hole larger?

only issue is I wanted to use the existing oem spacers and such.

parts 9-14. going to a m8 I then have to deal with the sleeved spacer part 9.

concetns of mine with timeserts and helicoils is can I remove and reinstall the bolt multiple times using these options?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Nutzerts are more for threading into sheet metal. Heli coil is for repairing (or reinforcing) threads in solid metal.

So what is this metal you will be screwing into?

metal is a threaded steel bore in the frame the muffler bolts into. can the helicoil handle a bolt being removed and reinstalled a few times?

thanks for the answers gents.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Yes a Heli-Coil can be threaded into multiple times although a Timesert is a better repair.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
Old 04-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
I don't see any reason why not? I have removed and installed bolts into holes with Helicoils. Like everyone else said, it helps if they are installed correctly. It helps if you don't overtorque the bolt in the future.

Worst case, you remove the bolt and all or part of the helicoil comes with it. Pull it out with a pair of pliers and or a pick and thread in a new one.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Yes a Heli-Coil can be threaded into multiple times although a Timesert is a better repair.
Why is a Timesert better? In commercial aviation, the engines are full of Heli-coils. I've never seen a Timesert on a commercial aircraft engine or airframe. I have seen Swadge-serts and Keen-Serts as well.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

I have used both and I prefer the Timesert.

TIME-SERT® is a solid bushing insert. This guarantees easy installation and allows for full load use of tapped hole, ensuring protection against stress and vibration.
product demonstration

TIME-SERT® is thin walled due to synchronized internal
external threads. Thin cross sectional area allows for installation in areas of limited space and clearance material.
TIME-SERT® Positive Placement. Having a flange on the top of the insert will insure that the insert will have positive placement and cannot wind down into the newly repaired hole.
TIME-SERT® is self locking. On installation the bottom internal threads of the insert are cold rolled to expand the mating external threads into the base material locking the insert in place. Locking mechanism is at the bottom of insert.

TIME-SERT® thread repair system the ultimate way
to repair threads in stripped or damaged holes.

TIME-SERT® threaded inserts are approved by leading automotive manufactures. Easily repair stripped threads in cyclinder head bolt stripped threads, spark plug thread repair as well as oil drain pan. Many thread repair kits are available for your threaded bushing application in metric and american sizes. TIME-SERT the very best in thread repair!

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

another option is a nutsert. trouble is I don't own the tool. can I install these nutserts with a rivet gun?

No you can't use a pop riveter, but you can use a nut and bolt to install them- thread a nut on to a bolt, stick a washer on it, then thread it into the nutsert.

Then just hold the bolt stationary and put a wrench on the nut and it will draw up the nutsert, easey peasey.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Oddometer: 549
+1 on the Timesert. Racers and manufacturers, (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes)now recommend the timeserts instead of helicoils as a more permanent repair. A nutsert is best for thin metal that needs a threaded area in it when you can't weld in a nut.

MVT
aardschok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,421
helicoils have been the standard in aviation for at least 60-70 years. they are used in new construction as well being an approved repair (on engines). properly installed they will last the life of the rest of the part
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,490
FWIW, I managed to booger up the skid plate mount points on my 950. Made a complete hash of the threads where the crash bars mount as well. Ordered up a set of Timeserts, took about an hour to do all four, and all is well. The kit comes with the needed drill, tap and insertion device.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is online now   Reply With Quote