come on then....!

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneAgain View Post
I'm glad theres 'more'... come on then....! .
Be gentle, apparently a horse trod on his foot

masterbrewer screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 02:40 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,548
ok....

(prob cant complain.. apparently some Ausbikerduke complained me last report took a year )

still, thats no excuse for anyone else..!

GoneAgain screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 06:28 AM
GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
gonescratchin OP
aka Fipsy

Oddometer: 442
Geez........I didnt think anyone was watching!

Just need a couple of days to get the video footage edited - then it'll be right to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
gonescratchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
gonescratchin OP
aka Fipsy

Day 1 -

After a trip to Pooncarie in May 2012 (RR here), I got a taste of the north-western corner of Murray-Sunset NP as we entered along the Carwarp Rd and then turn north up the Taperoo Track, about 5-10kms from the South Australian border.

With that in mind, the seed was planted to explore some more of this mallee country, towards the eastern ends of the NP.

The blue track line on the map below summarises the first 2 days, coming in from the west.

After putting the word out, a few of us met at the Tonsley Hotel for lunch, and then dinner to firm up plans.

The day started with meeting at my mate, Todd's place at 9:30am, who was coming in his Santa Fe with a trailer so we could travel light, and have extra fuel/water. Myself, Todd, Kym, Tony and Graham unloaded some gear, and tuned in our UHF's to channel 11. (I had recently got an Autocom unit to run my 5w Uniden handheld though, and was keen to try out some of it's whiz-bang features).

We left Todd's for Tailem Bend close on 10am and headed up the freeway for the short trip. Once arriving, I soon found out that I'd got some of my settings wrong on the Autocom and my mic was open for the whole trip up (sorry guys), which I quickly sorted.

After a quick stop at the roadhouse, we headed towards Karoonda, planning on travelling up the rail access track. Thanks to Emuoz, we quickly found the best spot to jump on the track, and got the recommendation to keep tyre pressures up - lots of limestone - and away we went.

Some footage below taken from Todd's car (sorry about the quality!)..

Along the way, it started to warm up, and it was time to peel of some layers at one point.

...and with all the excitement of the rail access track, Masterbrewer got so worked up he must have soiled himself, so Todd stepped in and helped change his diapers for him .....

We arrived at this junction where despite having a blast up the track, it was looking that we were going to be pushing our rendezvous time with DR Ozzy at Meribah, so after covering 2/3 of the rail access track, we got onto the blacktop to Halidon to make up some time.

Approaching Halidon, I spotted a few tracks on the GPS that largely paralleled the sealed roads to Meribah, so we made for the dirt.

After heading down some nice scenic roads, with only one backtrack (yay!) we crossed to the north side of the Karoonda Hwy at Wanbi, and had a great run on dirt all the way to Meribah where DR Ozzy was waiting for us, already a couple of coldies ahead of us.

After bit of a yarn, and Todd had loaded DR Ozzy's king size, fully sprung mattress into the back of his car ,

one of Graham's pilot buddies who was providing air-support must have ran out of fuel,

.....and then we got the hurry-up to get going.....

So before long, we got to the entrance to Murray-Sunset (little did I know that was my cue to turn around )

So before long, we were hurtling down Pheeny's Track which, to begin with, was mostly hard clay with a light sandy top.

Not far down the track, we started coming up on thicker patches of sand, and often appearing mid-corner......

Not satisfied with the view, I decided to give the track surface a closer inspection.....

....a vantage point I was to see more of as the day progressed........

As we made our way down Pheeny's Track, there was a mix of hard-packed clay, sand (pretty light mostly), and a few patches of VERY slippery clay owing to what looked like relatively recent rain falls.

Masterbrewer demonstrated how to lose the front end in the clay .........

...resulting in a bent pannier frame which in turn had his left exhaust snug up against his swing arm. With a bit of heaving and ho'ing, we got it sorted.

So not far down the track, we came across another such clay/mud puddle, and it was the apprentice's turn - and I can say I went down gracefully as I spun nearly 180 degrees in slow motion (yep, it's all on the main vid).

From there, we continued, uneventfully, down to the end of Pheeny's Trk to the Underbool Trk junction, where we re-grouped, and headed south to get to Mopoke Hut for the night.

The Underbool track was clearly sandier than Pheeny's (not by a lot), but did have a number of rutted crests, with turns at the top - a combination that proved to be my undoing.

....and here's my undoing - one of two on this section of track.....(How's the timing of the music )

By this stage, I was shagged, and one of my ribs was killing me after the same spot on my rib cage kept getting clobbered by the end of my handlebar on the right. The others had gone ahead to the next junction, less than a km ahead, so with Todd following, I gingerly made it to the rendezvous.........very.........gingerly.

As it turned out, with light fading fast, and my rib making riding unbearable at the moment, the junction ended up being a great spot to camp for the night.

After cooking up a storm, mostly on the back of Todd's trailer, we all called it a day, as we contemplated the cold night that was coming in.

The next morning, saw ice on everything, so tent fly's were scattered over small trees everywhere, in an attempt to dry things out. Meanwhile, Masterbrewer saw his exhaust was getting too cozy with his swing arm again, so a pow wow was organised to figure what to do with it.....

Video of Pheeny's Track, and smal section of Underbool Track heading down towards Mopoke Hut......

Day 2 to come........

gonescratchin screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 05:26 AM
Old 08-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
TonyRDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Ok I am hooked, great footage . How are your injuries mate?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda

Oddometer: 752
Check out the lean angle on that last one.. You musta been bookin! Darryl Beattie woulda been proud
Old 08-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
masterbrewer
TDMster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJuJu View Post
Check out the lean angle on that last one.. You musta been bookin! Darryl Beattie woulda been proud
..................................... as the TDM rides off in the distance

masterbrewer screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 12:09 AM
Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum

Oddometer: 596

Beautiful bit of track there, almost as good as Anzac highway, its got me f#cked how you could possibly lose it there.
DR Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum

Quote:

You can stop crackin jokes too, were gonna drag you out there next time and critique your sand prowess
Old 08-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #12
masterbrewer
TDMster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Ozzy View Post

Beautiful bit of track there, almost as good as Anzac highway, its got me f#cked how you could possibly lose it there.
You obviously forgot, he was chasing the TDM ................................. that's where he came to a holt.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #13
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum

Chasing the TDM, that explains it, he was going so slow he lost balance and fell over
Old 08-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #14
gonescratchin OP
aka Fipsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRDR View Post
Ok I am hooked, great footage . How are your injuries mate?
G'day Tony,

The rib's doing ok now - still a bit tender. The left ankle is still bloody sore - it didn't get much rest last week.

Have just finished the video of day 1. Is uploading now - come out well. Should have edited out the falls - it'll give the piss-takers more fodder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #15
gonescratchin OP
aka Fipsy

Quote:
Yeah, was really scrapin' the pegs on that corner - and f**kin everything else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk