User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 761
Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar gear.

Mine beats the snot out of my Aerostich Roadcrafter for comfort in hot weather.

And it beats the snot out of pretty much ALL other textile AND leather gear for protection.

http://www.motoport.com
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Rev'It Tornado in silver. Works for me in Alabama.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 910
Mesh gear makes you hotter above 95 degrees. When it's over 100, the best way to stay cool is close all the vents on your gear and helmet. That hot air blast at those temperatures will overheat you quickly. I rode for hours last summer above 110 degrees in a Rallye 3 suit with every zipper and vent shut. It was hot, but not nearly as hot as it would have been in mesh.

I don't think much of the IBA, but this article is spot-on.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
GS_Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Best Hot Weather Gear

I've used a Veskimo cooling vest for the past five summers.
http://www.veskimo.com/
Used evaporative and phase-change vests before that.
The Veskimo eliminated the issue of whether it's too hot to ride.
Use the search tool, above, for "Veskimo" to see all the previous posts
on this site, the K1600 site, and the ADVRider forums.
I use an Olympia mesh jacket,
and add a Windstopper or Goretex liner over the Veskimo
to maintain the microclimate cooling layer against the body.
Highest temp I've encountered has been 102 degrees.
Consistent cooling over several hours.
GS_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
+1 on the veskimo system. Depending on the situation - hot or unbearable - and the length of the ride I either use an ice+water combo or frozen water bottles (you leave the caps on)+water combo. The former giving more cooling for less time and the later less cooling for more time.
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #21
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 675
bmw rallye

bmw rallye gear does the job in hot weather
mike cummins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #22
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 284
I wear a custom-made active cooling vest, designed for medical use and bomb squad suits. It actually works really well in 100-110F weather. Unfortunately, there is no market for such item :-(
ERD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Olympia Moab was my choice for Las Vegas in the summer. I read all the articles and threads like this.

It's a partially mesh jacket. That means it gets good air flow, but also allows some sweat to linger on the skin for cooling in the extreme heat.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
FixnPCs
Throbbing Member

Oddometer: 4
Over 95F is hot! You run a very real risk of heat stroke when riding in temps over 95F for long periods. I wear mesh jacket and a cooling vest above 90. You get a little wet but they are LIFESAVERS! They don't work quite as well in high humidity but they do work. Read the reviews on them.
FixnPCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
Karlm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I wear the BMW Ralley 3 jacket in the Australian summer and it is awesome. Plenty of vents to help with air flow. The outer shell breathes so in summer I don't use the inner liner. If it gets too hot, like 05train said, you can close all the vents to stop the hot air from dehydrating you too much.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #26
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,879
I was thinking of going with the Veskimo, but spent my allowance at the MOA Rally last year so went with LDComfort tights and their long sleeved mock turtleneck under my BMW Airshell and Rev'It mesh pants. I found that if I got the LDC garments wet I was plenty comfortable in the 108F dry heat of Missouri. Not sure how well it would work in the hot and humid stuff of the souf.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #27
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
i rode for a few days last summer in temps up to 112f i wore a motoport Kevlar mesh jacket and stretch Kevlar pants. it was a borderline situation.

i made sure to wear a scarf to keep the hot wind off my jugular veins to reduce heat transfer to my brain and wore long sleeve patagonia capilene shirts to keep the wind speed down on my skin. on a few occasions i would wet the capilene shirts to cool down a bit.
on one day i removed the chest armor from my jacket to get a bit more ventilation.
also i kept 5l ice water on board in platy bags with drink tubes.

the mesh does give you a feeling of cooling from the wind crossing your body but you must be very careful to monitor your hydration levels and have an idea of your heat tolerance and current state of heat exposure.
in this situation the humidity was pretty high...if it was lower i would have put my rain liner in to reduce the sweat evaporation.

if you don't piss every hour you are not drinking enough water when exposed to that kind of heat.
your body can only absorb so much water in an hour...but if you can drink enough to piss every hour you are sure you have the max amount your system can handle, and the water you piss out purges a bit of heat from your core, to be replaced with cool water from your camleback.

at every fuel stop a gator aide or some such is needed to replace electrolytes you are sweating out.

you need to keep tabs on your mental state...you get dopey when your brain gets too hot. as soon as you feel your mental state slipping..even a little bit you must stop and cool down...this is a life or death thing.

on the one occasion i caught myself starting to make mistakes i pulled off and got a hotel room...the only one of a 16 day trip...it was 7pm and still 106f.
a cool shower and a good nights sleep in the ac and i was good to go again.

you have to think about exposed skin when you have wind of that temp blowing across your skin...i did get some significant burns on the tops of my wrists where there was a small amount of exposed skin between my gloves and jacket. these were not sunburn but convection burns from the hot air.

bottom line i like the mesh jacket. it is not ideal in these very high temp situations..but on a long trip it is a great all rounder.. it is great on trails where your average speed is low and you would stifle in a solid jacket or one with small vents.

you have to know your limits, and constantly be assessing your situation in extreme heat..and drink a fuck-lot of water.

but be warned...if your are in high temp low humidity and dont activly manage your body heat/hydration...a mesh jacket CAN kill you. and faster than you would think.

rant...off

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #28
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,411
I got to try my badlands in some warmer weather yesterday. Rode fhe stelvio about 500 miles in temps that started out in the low 50's and reached a high of 92. I was wearing Ruka outlast base layer bottom with a Patigionia base layer top. That worked well in the cooler temps, when it warmed up into the mid 80's I opened all the jacket vents and left the cuffs lose rather than snug. It worked quite well, I didn't even need to open the pant vents.

I'm liking this gear very much. Since it never rains in west Texas anymore, I can't speak for it waterproof qualities.
Last edited by stevie88; 04-15-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #29
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
here in the south, anything other than mesh doesn't work.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #30
GS_Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
here in the south, anything other than mesh doesn't work.
Agree with the use of the mesh, but as stated earlier,
the Veskimo has eliminated the issue of riding in hot weather for me.
Hydration is still required, but effects of heat stress on me
is no longer an issue, regardless of the ambient temperatures.
I'm much more refreshed and alert, even at the end of a long day of riding.
GS_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote