Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Badjuju OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Gaaak! Second hand smoke--How to get rid of it?

Help! Like a dumbass, I bought a jacket on-line (First Gear Kilimanjaro) sight-unseen from the PO, who failed to mention that either he or his wife or someone in his household was a chain smoker. The damn thing came packed in a box and when I opened it, I just about puked. I called the PO and he said his wife washed it before shipping, but I've had it hanging in my garage for the last month until I finally went out and wore it on a ride today....and it still smells after 150 miles of 70 MPH sunshine!

Suggestions? I mean, besides burning it...
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,235
Take it to a dry cleaner. It will not only smell nice but it will be really clean too.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Badjuju OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, does drycleaning kill the waterproofing? Will I need to spray a WPing treatment on the fabric?
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Old 04-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
zed88
n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
Stick a bunch of charcoal in cheesecloth, and then put it in a heavy duty bag with the charcoal and seal it up so its airtight. The charcoal will absorb the odor. Do it for a few days and replace the charcoal and repeat till its clean. Same thing fire restoration companies do to get smoke out of clothing after a fire.
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed88 View Post
Stick a bunch of charcoal in cheesecloth, and then put it in a heavy duty bag with the charcoal and seal it up so its airtight. The charcoal will absorb the odor. Do it for a few days and replace the charcoal and repeat till its clean. Same thing fire restoration companies do to get smoke out of clothing after a fire.
We used to use dry cleaners for this actually. It's a lot more than just an odor. There are oils and other residual chemicals in smoke.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,778
No,No,what you do is fry up a pan of onions,let the jacket soak up the onion fumes as much as possible.

But,the onion fume stink will go away and it will take the cigarette funk with it.

It worked in my old house for getting rid of musty basement smell.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 170
Puke

Gawd do I hate that smell. As a former smoker, nothing drives me nuts faster than the reek of lung smog. Dry cleaning is, however, the only method I know of to remove that funk permanently. I've tried home remedies, cure-alls, gramma's favorite chemical mix. Skip it, take the jacket to a dry cleaner.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,727
No saint like a reformed sinner, lol.
I work with the public, and I am convinced that heavy smokers have No Idea how much they reek to nonsmokers. They get close, and their hair/clothes/breath are so bad....
Anyway, I work in the ottobiz, and it's not uncommon for smokers to trade in their rolling ashtrays. We use an ozone generator, overnight, and it seems to kill the funk. Just a thought.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Ozone works great.
You can get ozone generators.
When I worked at a hotel, we used them to get the smoke smell out of rooms. In a few hours, they can even be used to turn smoking rooms into non-smoking rooms. Just don't enter the room while it's on.
See if a hotel will let you hang your jacket in a room while they ozonate it. Or, if your good with electronics, you can make your own pretty easily.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Unscented or new car scented Fabreeze. The stuff is amazing.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Ozone works great.
You can get ozone generators.
When I worked at a hotel, we used them to get the smoke smell out of rooms. In a few hours, they can even be used to turn smoking rooms into non-smoking rooms.
I've been in rooms that were converted. No. Unless you strip it down to studs, scrub the wood and concrete structure, then rebuild, and install all new furnishings and fixtures, you're not getting the smell out. 'course I can't stand it when someone stands outside on the balcony to smoke, either, because the smell comes in the room.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Badjuju OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
...new car scented Febreeze. The stuff is amazing.
No shit?!? I did not know they had this. Now I gotta get me some to use on my 12 year old beater to get the dog funk out...
Old 04-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
After "inheriting" my grandmothers kitchen table and doing what I could to de-smoke it. It will need cleaning. I went through a full roll of paper towels and window cleaner stripping the brown funk off the table. That funk if fabric really needs to be cleaned out. You can try a wash at home and let air dry (I prefer outside). If that don't work I would try the cleaners. For my table and chairs I had little option on the fabric part. Frebreeze workes real well I found. I left the chairs outside and misted the fabric once a day for about a week. After that they were fine. Trouble is Frebreeze has it's own funk, even the unscented stuff.

I would try some home washing and see what that gets you. If you can't defunk the smell then it is time for the cleaners. Out of courisity, what does the cleaning label show for cleaning? Dry clean safe or not? If not I bet it can still be cleaned, just got to find a shop that knows what they are doing and uses the right product.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
So, does drycleaning kill the waterproofing? Will I need to spray a WPing treatment on the fabric?
Take it to the laundromat and throw it on one of those industrial washers that doesn't have a center agitator.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,329
I de-stankified a smoky car interior with Febreeze.

It works on organic odors as well. I sold a car to a south bay chollo that showed up with cash... $10,000 in Benjamins that reeked of weed.

Laid it out on the floor and hosed it down with Febreeze. No way I was taking that to the bank smelling like that.