Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Roadinator OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
First helmet for the wife - A Shoei Hornet DS?

Someone has a Shoei Hornet DS for sale on Craigslist that looks in great shape. This would be for the wife who will start riding with me soon. Any reason this would not be a good helmet for her for two up dual sport riding? I would rather get a nicer helmet used than a new helmet that is cheap (of course if the used helmet is not old and in great shape).

If there are new helmets out there that you recommend, let me know. Would like to get Snell approved.

Thanks.
Roadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadinator View Post
Someone has a Shoei Hornet DS for sale on Craigslist that looks in great shape. This would be for the wife who will start riding with me soon. Any reason this would not be a good helmet for her for two up dual sport riding? I would rather get a nicer helmet used than a new helmet that is cheap (of course if the used helmet is not old and in great shape).

If there are new helmets out there that you recommend, let me know. Would like to get Snell approved.

Thanks.
Good helmet if it fits the shape of her head. Something to consider, however, is that the beak may continually pop you in the back of your own helmet whenever you brake abruptly.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Roadinator OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
...the beak may continually pop you in the back of your own helmet whenever you brake abruptly.
Good point. I think this will happen more than I want it too.
Roadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,061
Despite the fact that I bought a used helmet for my now ex wife as her first lid, I wouldn't recommend it unless you know the seller.

That said I think a full face helmet is a better first choice, also look for the lightest helmet that fits.
A full face will be more quiet and comfortable as will a lighter helmet.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 745
5 things to consider: fit, fit, fit, fit, and fit.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
I personally wouldn't buy her a used helmet.

Best research site I know is webbikeworld http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm

There are plenty of inexpensive helmets with decent ratings. As noted above, #1 priority is to get one that fits correctly. I mail order tires, chains, and filters, but helmets are one thing I only buy from a good shop with competent staff.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadinator View Post

Thanks.
Fit is more important that price. Snell isn't near as important than previously thought. Both were dispelled by the Motorcyclist helmet test some years back. Seemed the "cheap" plastic and low priced helmets performed quite well, especially considering the kinds of impacts street riding might cause in an accident.

The key is to get her a helmet that actually FITS her head. Nothing worse than a helmet that isn't comfortable. You need to get her to try on helmets until the proper fit and feel is found. Then test it at home for at least a half hour to see if there are hot spots that would make it uncomfortable when riding.

If going dual sport don't be afraid of AFX, Fly, or Joe Rocket dual sport helmets. They are all getting good reviews and are quality manufacturers.

I can speak from experience in two areas. One - I can not get a good fit with Shoei, but Arai and HJC fit well. One high priced and one lower priced. My wife doesn't ride with me and I recently learned part of the reason was the helmet she was wearing didn't fit - it hurt. Why she didn't tell me is beyond my comprehension, but she didn't.

Take that for what it is worth, provided you really want your wife to ride with you. If you do, let her find the right fit. Don't just jump on some expensive helmet for a name.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 173
6 things to consider

5 things to consider: fit, fit, fit, fit, and fit.

the 6th and maybe most important if you want to do lots of riding with her .... Does she like it ?
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
As someone who rode for years with a Shoei DS (and I loved it) is the visor can whip the head around in the wind and at times it can be brutal, but if the helmet fits well, and it did for me with my "Lenoesque" chin, you can always remove the visor, the helmet came with that kit.

Having said THAT, I would NEVER trust a loved ones head to a helmet you were not ABSOLUTELY sure of its history.
1981 CB900C
I'm not a glass half empty or full guy, I am just happy to have the damn glass!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,838
Got to a shop that sells the full line of Aria helmets and do the fit test with the cheek pads removed. Start with the Profile (or equivalent) which is a long oval shape. If the helmet gives pressure on the sides but not the front or back, move to the Vector (or equivalent) which is an intermediate oval. If the helmet gives pressure on the sides but not the front or back, move to the round oval version. Use the Aria as a guide for head shape, then use the info from web bike world to determine the alternatives that fit her head. As others have said, it doesn't matter if you choose to buy Snell approved or DOT, just make sure it fits her.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote