User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
tallmike OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question Best AT for Big and Tall Rider

Hey there, new to the site. I'm looking for suggestions on which AT to purchase, so I'll give you some info to help understand my situation.

BACKGROUND
Plan on using the bike mainly for commuting purposes (may do some AT with it in the future). I live in Southern California and commute 70 miles each way, which is 99% highway. I'm 6'6'', 300 lbs, pretty much 50/50 torso/legs. I used to ride a GSX-R 750 about 6 years ago, but haven't ridden street since. Still an avid off-road rider. I'm taking another MSF course next week to re-familiarize my self again first, then will go out and test ride some bikes. I've got about $13K to spend on the bike (already purchased my gear).

BIKES
I desire to buy new. I'm contemplating either a BMW F800GS, Triumph Tiger 800XC, or Yamaha Super Tenere. I'm not afraid of maintenance (have experience and used to work at a bike shop), but from everything I've read so far the Yamaha requires the least amount of maintenance. I found a new 2012 ST at my local dealer for $11,500 and I can get an additional discount on it for being prior military. I've also heard great things about the BMW (which also gives a discount for military), and great things about the 800XC. I've read about the shaft driven ST vs chain driven with the others, but not sure that alone makes the decision for me. MPG, comfort (I may also have my wife ride on the back occasionally), holding its value, and potential for maintenance issues are important to me.

SUGGESTIONS
What do you suggest based upon my needs/wants and my size? I plan on test riding all three, just looking for additional input. Thanks!
tallmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,915
Tenere. Biased as I am an owner. Spent the weekend on a Triumph 800XC. For your size I would pass on that one.
Also got to ride the GS800. Better ergos than the Triumph, less motor.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Haven't ridden either 800 but came from a 990 Adventure and now on a Tenere. At 6'6" 260 myself, the Tenere is about as close to perfect out of the box ergo wise for me as it gets. Only ergo changes I've made were bar risers to ease riding standing up.
dejr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
Choice C: The Super Tenere, especially for our size. 300lbs? Definitely...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
tallmike OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Tenere. Biased as I am an owner. Spent the weekend on a Triumph 800XC. For your size I would pass on that one.
Also got to ride the GS800. Better ergos than the Triumph, less motor.
How would you compare the ergo's of the 800GS to the ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejr2000 View Post
Haven't ridden either 800 but came from a 990 Adventure and now on a Tenere. At 6'6" 260 myself, the Tenere is about as close to perfect out of the box ergo wise for me as it gets. Only ergo changes I've made were bar risers to ease riding standing up.
How is the seat on the ST? Anything besides the bar risers that you feel may need adjustment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Choice C: The Super Tenere, especially for our size. 300lbs? Definitely...
So would the 800's not fit my size?

Thanks to all for your inputs thus far. Looks like the ST is a def test ride and possible purchase
tallmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 349
All three are great choices. I test rode each of them and bought the 800XC. Test ride them and let us know what you think.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,744
800s

Are small and cramped for my 6 foot frame so would be a killer for you. The Super Tenere gives me 6 inches of front seat to move back and forth on. Much better bike for highway too.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmike View Post
How would you compare the ergo's of the 800GS to the ST?
Similar just scaled down some. I actually liked the GS more than I thought I would.
Lighter feeling and I was comfortable leg room wise. Way too soft suspension.
I'm 220 lbs 5' 11'' and it bottomed all over on a short off road stint. No preload
adjustment. Motor seemed a little strained at 80mph cruising speed. The soft
suspension was plush on the highway.

The Triumph had a fun motor with another 2,000 rpm to redline. Strong for
a 800. The pegs felt way too high compared to the GS and the S10.
Didn't have the mid range pull like the twins, but made up in top end if
you like that. My knees hurt after about 50 miles. I enjoyed the bike and
put it more in a class like my FZ1. I didn't get to go off road with it and
between the ergos and revvy engine probably would not have liked it in
the dirt as much.

From what you are saying on your size and intended use the 800 stuff
might be too small and you would be looking around again soon.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Wayward Sun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I don't agree about the Triumph 800 xc. I've only taken one out for a test ride, but I liked the way the bike felt. It felt better (IMO) then the BMW 1200 gs. I'm about your size too and I didn't mind the 800 xc. I am looking for a new machine too, and LOVE the Tenere, but might wait until I can get a better look at the KTM 1190 later this year. I might get grilled here for that comment, but I'm still undecided and that KTM Looks bitchin!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Sun View Post
I don't agree about the Triumph 800 xc. I've only taken one out for a test ride, but I liked the way the bike felt. It felt better (IMO) then the BMW 1200 gs. I'm about your size too and I didn't mind the 800 xc. I am looking for a new machine too, and LOVE the Tenere, but might wait until I can get a better look at the KTM 1190 later this year. I might get grilled here for that comment, but I'm still undecided and that KTM Looks bitchin!
I admit I was sniffing around over in the orange section and the early reports make it
sound awfully nice. If people are jumping ship on the Multistradas for one you have
to wonder if there isn't a pretty good reason.

A big reason I stuck with the Yamaha was for a shaft and near perfect reliability record.
I realize the KTM has a strong advantage off road. Right or wrong I don't trust it the same.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Wayward Sun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I should add that the reason I didn't buy an 800 was because I was afraid it might not be enough bike for me. That is why I would choose the Tenere over the Triumph. Now if everyone would stop realeasing new bikes, I could decide which one to get!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 349
Like I said above, all three are great bikes. But there is a lot if bs here... I came off of a gen 1 Multistrada. Toured, 1000 mile days, twisties, everything on that bike. Had it for six years. Both 800s have similar performance to my Multi and, for me, checked off all of the boxes. I also strongly preferred the ~100 lbs less weight (according to motorcycle-USA.com's buyers guide) of either 800. Ergos on the 800s may be a bit tighter than the bigger bikes but they can be adjusted somewhat. And, geez, you were riding a GSX-R 750.... Awesome bike, btw. Looks like the 1190 is going after the current Multi. I've ridden the current Multi a few times and would select it (or the 1190) over any of the other 1200's. Your preferences may be different.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
A big reason I stuck with the Yamaha was for a shaft and near perfect reliability record.
I realize the KTM has a strong advantage off road. Right or wrong I don't trust it the same.
Amen brother. After owning a 950 and a 12GS I was very happy when Yamaha released the Tenere. Finally put my mind at ease about breaking down and even if I did there's a Yam dealership in nearly every town.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
If I were as tall as you, I'd test ride the SuperTenere and the BMW r1200gs adv. you will physically fit an 800 but you won't be as comfortable. Yamaha Stratoliner would be a candidate if you want a cruiser, as its a monster of a bike in size. I sold my Strat to a soldier your size.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #15
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Thumb St

Having been transformed into a Triumph man this is hard for me to say, but of the bikes you mentioned, I believe the only right fit for you would be the ST. I would look long & hard @ the new 1190 KTM also, but I've not seen one yet in person so I'm not too sure how it would fit you. I do believe the Tiger Explorer would be a fantastic fit for you also, but you'll have to pony up with @ least anothe $4K to make it work well for you.

Like it's been stated here many times before. TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE... If it puts a big grin on your face that you can't seem to wipe off, buy it.