Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
Big Tall Bastard
Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 294
I'm 6'6" and 250 without gear and rode an 07 990 ADV for 4 years. I added Dirt in Blood's 2" risers to the bars as it brings the bars up but not back. I added adjustable pegs to get them down slightly and I could stand and ride very comfortably.

The only thing I didn't changed but would have if I had kept the bike is the seat. It was comfortable but it had a slight step in it that hits us tall guys in the back of the ass and limits movement a bit. Some of the bikes come without the step in the seat and you would be fine or have a custom slightly taller seat built and you would be money!

I'm nit picking as I did several 600 mile day on the bike the way I had it set up.
If your riding plans will be more dirt oriented don't discount Big Orange as an option. They ride like dirtbikes (500lbs dirtbikes) but can still handle the freeway slog.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I am 6' 6" and 275. I've had my Tenere for over a year and it's the best bike I've ever had.

I added a corbin seat, Vstream windscreen and bar risers.

GREAT bike for guys our size. I like it much better than the 2007 BMW R1200GSA I had.
advD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
tallmike OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I find it amazing how many of you are talking about the ST and giving it such good recommendations. I made a couple stops today during my lunch break and checked out a few different bikes. Looked at the KTM 990 SMT (knees were in the tank), checked out a Ducati Multistrada (great bike, but $20K, really?). Left that dealer and went to a BMW dealer. Checked out the F800GS, fit on it pretty good, my knees weren't in the tank and it felt comfortable. I think it would be good to remove the rubber from the pegs. I then sat on a R1200GS. It fit me really good as well, but I didn't like the opposed engine sticking out both sides (that looks like a major repair cost waiting to happen).

I've seen the ST in person, but to be honest, I think it looks more conservative than the BMW and I really do like the "beak" look on the Beemer. I'll take them both for test rides though, because at the end of the day it's all about practicality and comfort. I'm taking an MSF course this Thurs/Friday to familiarize myself with street riding (been a few years). Not that I couldn't do it, just want to make sure I'm fully prepared before I do some test rides and really open up these bikes. More to follow!
tallmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmike View Post
I find it amazing how many of you are talking about the ST and giving it such good recommendations. I made a couple stops today during my lunch break and checked out a few different bikes. Looked at the KTM 990 SMT (knees were in the tank), checked out a Ducati Multistrada (great bike, but $20K, really?). Left that dealer and went to a BMW dealer. Checked out the F800GS, fit on it pretty good, my knees weren't in the tank and it felt comfortable. I think it would be good to remove the rubber from the pegs. I then sat on a R1200GS. It fit me really good as well, but I didn't like the opposed engine sticking out both sides (that looks like a major repair cost waiting to happen).

I've seen the ST in person, but to be honest, I think it looks more conservative than the BMW and I really do like the "beak" look on the Beemer. I'll take them both for test rides though, because at the end of the day it's all about practicality and comfort. I'm taking an MSF course this Thurs/Friday to familiarize myself with street riding (been a few years). Not that I couldn't do it, just want to make sure I'm fully prepared before I do some test rides and really open up these bikes. More to follow!
It deserves it. Doesn't lead the pack in anything. Just does what it does very well and owners
have complete confidence in it. You can spend more, get a faster 1/4 mile, better off road performance,
a little lighter bike or prestige if that's what you're into. At the end of the day the Yamaha will be sitting
there ready to ride again and again and again.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #20
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,488
Interesting website here that gives a rough-cut visual simulation of rider fit on bikes that one selects for comparison. Even though I'm way shorter and smaller than you I ride a Suzuki DL1000 VStrom. With an aftermarket seat it's the most comfortable bike that I've owned, but had the Yamaha been available in 2008 I'd probably be on that instead.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 06:02 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #21
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
I'm looking for suggestions on which AT to purchase.
On general terms, your willingness to invest in a custom tall saddle, lower pegs and bar risers will serve to increase, however modestly, the number of motorcycles that can be made to fit you.

The Triumph Tiger 800 and the Ducati Multistrada are deceiving. They only look tall and roomy. I found the ergos of both to be rather cramped, esp. in consideration of the bikes' intended missions. And I'm a bit less tall and certainly not as well fed as you are. The ergos of the Yamaha Tenere are mildly better in comparison, but on net they really weren't that impressive to me, either. We all have different fit requirements.

I was reasonably comfortable on the GSA and KTM's big ADV. Unfortunately for me, these two choices are real budget busters.
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #22
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 329
I suggest you ride a Buell Ulysses, preferably one with the tall seat ('06 model.)
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 459
Thanks for a great thread. I'm 'only' 6'3" but had 2 knee surgeries and a hip surgery all on the same side in the last 1 1/2 years due to work (I was a fireman). I have a beater KLR (was only $1000) and 93 Zephyr 1100 (modded with ZRX running gear for fun roads) and sold my Victory Kingpin I used to use for touring and bought a 2012 Cross Roads last summer. That was before the hip operation. Unfortunately the position my hip is in on the Victory is way too tight and painful so I've been thinking about what to trade it in on. Beemers, Triumphs and the Tenere all are on the list for a 'one bike solution'. I used to be a tried and true Yamaha guy so I'll look into the Tenere. Dealers around here suck as far as test rides but I've read a lot of good things about the Yamaha.
Thanks again for starting a thread for us big fellas.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,302
You really need to give those Triumphs a good look.

They have made those triples so amazingly smooth now and get good power from them.

For those who never liked the Super Tenere, I can understand why you found a new 2012 for 11,500 or less.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #25
tallmike OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Well, I went out and test rode a 2013 BMW F800GS and a 2011 BMW R1200GS. My thoughts are as follows:

F800GS - I like how nimble it is, found it very easy to maneuver despite it having the 21" front wheel. I didn't care for the seat after 10 mins, and the buffeting against my chest was INSANE. I'd need a 3 foot tall windscreen to decrease all that buffeting. Returned to the dealer and said no thanks.

R1200GS - Wow, what an engine, that thing MOVES. It's also odd feeling the piston stroke left and right and how you can feel it somewhat shift the bike. It was a comfortable ride, except for the wind being blown into my helmet. Would need a new screen on this one for sure.

I've decided to pass on the ST, I just can't get over how (IMO) ugly it is. I don't like it, and really want something better than a Yamaha.

I'm going to test ride a Multistrada 1200 S as well and see how I like it. Will keep you updated on my search!
tallmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #26
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Well, I went out and test rode a 2013 BMW F800GS and a 2011 BMW R1200GS. My thoughts are as follows:

F800GS - I like how nimble it is, found it very easy to maneuver despite it having the 21" front wheel. I didn't care for the seat after 10 mins, and the buffeting against my chest was INSANE. I'd need a 3 foot tall windscreen to decrease all that buffeting. Returned to the dealer and said no thanks.

R1200GS - Wow, what an engine, that thing MOVES. It's also odd feeling the piston stroke left and right and how you can feel it somewhat shift the bike. It was a comfortable ride, except for the wind being blown into my helmet. Would need a new screen on this one for sure.

I've decided to pass on the ST, I just can't get over how (IMO) ugly it is. I don't like it, and really want something better than a Yamaha.

I'm going to test ride a Multistrada 1200 S as well and see how I like it. Will keep you updated on my search!
No problem passing on the ST because you don't like the looks but if you are looking for something better than the Yamaha you will be looking for a long time.

Yamaha quality and reliability is second to none.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #27
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
There are no truly bad bikes on the market any more (Ural notwithstanding), but if your idea of "quality" includes fit and finish, Yamaha is middle of the pack.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
There are no truly bad bikes on the market any more (Ural notwithstanding), but if your idea of "quality" includes fit and finish, Yamaha is middle of the pack.
A squadron of BMW owners (and former owners) might disagree with you.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #29
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,880
Does "squadron" mean less than 1% ?

I haven't had any problems with mine in 6 years, but I went and rode one of them fancy Multistradas and now the big GS just don't seem as much fun.

Rode an S-Ten too...like an ugly GS, assembled in Thailand.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
For a Tall Rider

I'm 6'5", 285, and I had an 800XC. Brilliant bike. I put 2" Rox Risers on, and that was about it for ergo mods. We toured on it, 6k miles with the bike loaded for bear, and had no troubles at all. Sold it for a Tiger Explorer, only because I wanted more power for long 2up trips.

I had one serious complaint about the 800XC -- the seat. This would apply equally to the 800GS, I believe. After a while, the foam will break down and the pressure of your weight will ALL settle on your tail bone. Put aside $500 to upgrade the seat, if you'll be spending any long days in the saddle.