Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburick View Post
Montague,

Would any of you drop a grand on a beautiful, functional trailer for your scoot or small displacement motorcycle? If not, what is your price threshold? .
That's kind of a ridonkulous (as my boys would say) question to ask of this crowd. People that spend $1200 for aluminum tool boxes for their GS's; a system that weighs nearly 50 pounds just so they can carry 15 pounds of underwear and coffee inside. People that spend thousands of dollars on fluff and farkles in gps's, electric roll charts, ram mounts, communication gear, riding gear, etc.
So for this crowd a grand is not a problem. But the question I would ask is this; is $1,000 too much for people who tour on scooters. I don't know the answer to that. How many people tour long distance on scooters?
Seems a great opportunity to make and sell an in-town cargo scooter for the Costco runs.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
idealistix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
This is really cool. How much would the hitches cost? If you do go into business, remember to form an LLC to protect your personal assets.
idealistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Montague,
I don't mind if you post the pics in other forums. Please feel free.

I've thought about starting a business designing and building scooter (and small displacement motorcycle) cargo trailers. I don't know if there's enough interest out there to keep such a company sustainable...because if I'd do it, it would be a full time venture...I have no interest in pursuing it part time. I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy

I think the bigger issue might be cost. In the age of made-in-China junk, where everything is cheap, cheap, cheap...my trailers might not be viable because of the cost. That's my biggest concern.

In my mind, my trailers are rolling art...I spend a huge amount of time on the aesthetics...(make no mistake, they are equally functional)...but the aesthetics are paramount to me. There's a ton of time an materials that go into each one.

Even if I designed a few standard models and "mass produced" them in small quantities, they'd still be $900 - $1,000...and I wouldn't be buying a Mercedes with the profits...

I recently designed a cost-reduced, open frame scooter cargo trailer that looks cool and could sell for $600 - $700. Not quite as "WOW" as the other ones, but a pretty damn cool trailer in it's own right.

Because my trailers are all one-offs, I've probably got $1,200 - $1,300 tied up in each one in time / materials. As a scooter enthusiast, I have no problem dropping a grand+ on a trailer. I've got myself convinced that I'm the only guy out there that would do that. Anyone care to prove me wrong?...lol...

Would any of you drop a grand on a beautiful, functional trailer for your scoot or small displacement motorcycle? If not, what is your price threshold? I am just looking for ANY reason to start a scooter cargo trailer company...lol...
The factory Rokon trailer is $1000 and is off road only, so yes, some people (myself included) would buy. But you are correct that low volume, custom work isn't going to generate millions in profit.

But as a hobby business, it might work.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
But as a hobby business, it might work.
yes it would......

i do kind of the same thing, though not trailers, or any item specifically. im a mechanic by trade (for now, its taking its toll on my body) but sometimes i get commissioned to build something, a go kart trailer, luggage rack system/panniers, a bicycle sidecar. it doesnt pay the bills, but it gives me something to do while im making it, and puts some money in my pocket for other equipment/tools etc.

so put it out there, offer your services, and see what happens. the work looks good, and i think people would be into it.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
tburick OP
BLESSED

Oddometer: 16
All good points guys!

Not sure how much the hitches would cost...maybe around $75 - $125 depending on the bike. For example, the metropolitan and Vespa hitches were relatively simple. The Honda Ruckus hitch was very elaborate and complicated...so I guess it would depend on the bike.

Tom

Dude: Are you for real? You call me. You've got a lot of explaining to do to convince me that you are a NUT on a 50cc mission from God.
tburick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #21
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Because my trailers are all one-offs, I've probably got $1,200 - $1,300 tied up in each one in time / materials. As a scooter enthusiast, I have no problem dropping a grand+ on a trailer. I've got myself convinced that I'm the only guy out there that would do that. Anyone care to prove me wrong?...lol...

Would any of you drop a grand on a beautiful, functional trailer for your scoot or small displacement motorcycle? If not, what is your price threshold? I am just looking for ANY reason to start a scooter cargo trailer company...lol...
In answer to Your Question, Hell Yes. I may just buy a ruckus to match the trailer. I want something similiar (With a Longer trailer tongue) So I can haul My Kayak to the Beach, Beautiful setup.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #22
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,763
This fellow has a nice business going making larger trailers so anything is possible

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742318
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #23
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
A New Art Form and Functional

Trailers are more often than not fairly boring visually and can seriously detract from the imagery of a motorcycle, or sidecar outfit. For me these examples not only look good, but do the job in ways I've not come across, or imagined. Well impressed.

From the point of view of the possibilities for a sidecar appropriate trailer, i.e. two wheeled rather than a monowheel, there'd be hardly no issues on the hitch system, whilst something more than a mere box could be considered.

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #24
tburick OP
BLESSED

Oddometer: 16
Sidecarjohn,

Wow! High praise indeed..."A new art form and functional".

Thank you for the compliment.

I really need to get off my lazy arse (in the UK it's arse...not ass, right?...lol)
and start a scooter cargo trailer company...I've only built three...so I imagine with a little more practice, I could design and build some really beautiful trailers...I've got a million more ideas...

The CRAZY thing is, I don't have a workshop...and barely any tools. The black Metropolitan trailer was LITERALLY built outside on a PICNIC bench with a few hand tools and a rattle-can paint job. NO joke...lol.

I imagine that if I had a fully equipped shop, I could really turn out some beauties.

T

Dude: Are you for real? You call me. You've got a lot of explaining to do to convince me that you are a NUT on a 50cc mission from God.
tburick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
mr duck
psych

Oddometer: 74
I ran across your post while researching options for
towing a fishing kayak/gear.

You've done some beautiful work.
mr duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #26
gkam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
What is the advantage of a single wheel tailer, over a two wheels one?
gkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 551
the skinny & the down low

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkam View Post
What is the advantage of a single wheel tailer, over a two wheels one?
1 Goes where 2 might not want to:
http://youtu.be/woTLe5wEmRw

Great work tburick!

Cromoth screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 11:57 AM Reason: add text
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #28
gkam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post
1 Goes where 2 might not want to:
http://youtu.be/woTLe5wEmRw

Great work tburick!

Thanks.
Nice video and track!
gkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
tburick, is the red and white vespa trailer built partly out of a bicycle trailer? The frame looks a lot like one I saw recently. Yours obviously looks like an awesome upgrade.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
+1

I've been thinking of doing something similar, I started welding at 13, been away from it for a bit, kinda like riding a bike though. I use to make all kinds of small pcs. for my bikes and cars.

I could swing it from a hobby perspective, make good money at my fulltime gig, plus 3 days off a week. It might even keep me out of trouble with the wife.

I usually write down ideas as they come in my nitebook 4 work, gotta write stuff down, gettin old.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote