User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
mhouck OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Klim Latitude or Aerostitch Darien?

Looking for a Jacket that will serve me well on Alaskan trip and have narrowed it down to these two. Comments or advise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mhouck screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 04:41 PM
mhouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
I bought the Darien, mostly due to it being made onshore.
It replaced a Darien that I had had for more then 10 years. The new one is more then 5 years old now and I'd likely buy it again.

Oh yea forgot to add. Totally and completely waterproof in my experience. Riding in the rain one everything from naked bikes to fully faired touring bikes.

squish screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 11:31 PM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
If you are going to be leaving any time soon I might opt for the Latitude. The Stich is very stiff "out of the box". I'm sure the latitude uses durable material as well but I have trouble imagining it is anywhere near as stiff as the Darien but I have no direct experience with the Latitude. Of course, a 5,000 mile trip could be just what the Darien needs.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,831
I bought a Darien, also biased by the fact it is USA made. It is somewhat stiff, but interestingly enough, it seems to translate to less fatigue over the course of a long day; I think it's because it doesn't flap around in the wind. The collar will take some training for those days when you want it folded down, but when it's up, it's nice and soft and just about eliminates the need for a neck gaiter on a cold day.

It has more pockets than anyone could possibly use. I do not like the armor that came with it; while it seems like it would perform fine, it is too bulky for my tastes. I am using the Darien as a shell over a full mesh jacket with armor in it, that way I can strip off the Darien when it gets too hot and still maintain some protection.

It is built like a brick shithouse; nothing flimsy anywhere on it.

And it is for sure waterproof.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,378
I am about seven years into a Darien suit, and I've been quite pleased with its durability and waterproofness. I will likely buy another when it is worn out.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,748
I wear a 10 year old Darien,100% dry everyday in Seattle rain.I waited 20 years to able to afford a stitch,now I will NEVER buy anything else.IF this one ever wears out I will just order another !!!!!.
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Stkmkt1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I wear Darien pants and Jacket, both 5yrs. old. When I leave for Alaska in late June, I'm stopping by Aerostich to be fitted for a new pants and jacket. Get 10% discount shopping in store. I love my outfit. But I'm ready for a new one. I slid down the interstate in 2010 with my GSA on top of me. Pants got torn a bit near the bottom. But I hopped back up and back on the bike I went. Rode in very severe weather today with very heavy rain. Two piece Darien did fine. But it's time to waterproof it. So will do that soon. I highly recommend the Darien. I wear it all year round. From below zero to over 110 degrees across deserts. Good stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Needs: new garage (in planning) Need more room for more bikes.
Stkmkt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #8
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 720
darian light/bmw rally

i have a new darian light and a new rallye suite, i think if the weather does not fluctuate and stays cold i would use the darian as its a gortex outer however if u are going to get warm days too i would consider the rally. The main problem with gortex outers is that they are hot. I rode through se asia wearing a klim traverse and that was enough to put me off gortex suits . They are bloody hot.
The flexibility of the bmw stuff is that you can unzip the liner to when its hot and it breathes very well while having a high level of protection.
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
i have a new darian light and a new rallye suite, i think if the weather does not fluctuate and stays cold i would use the darian as its a gortex outer however if u are going to get warm days too i would consider the rally. The main problem with gortex outers is that they are hot. I rode through se asia wearing a klim traverse and that was enough to put me off gortex suits . They are bloody hot.
The flexibility of the bmw stuff is that you can unzip the liner to when its hot and it breathes very well while having a high level of protection.

I kinda suspected this would be the case in when i bought my 2pc Roadcrafter. I bought it primarily as my cold weather suit, but was hoping it would vent as well as my old Revit OffTrack/Dakar suit. Not the case.

As far as between Stitch and Klim, The Klim is more contemorary styled. The Stitch is utility.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Kinda funny,the friend that sold me my Darien did it so he could buy a Klim.3 weeks later he offered to buy it back!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
Kinda funny,the friend that sold me my Darien did it so he could buy a Klim.3 weeks later he offered to buy it back!!.

Did he specify what he didn't like about the Klim?
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

The 2 jackets are soooo different from each other.The Klim seems very up to date and stylish,where as the Darien is pure function and not much flash.He was so use to the Darien and it was broken in ( it's takes ALONG time tobreak in a Darien ).He likes his Klim now,he just had to adjust to it.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,474
Once you have dealt with Aerostich in person, at the store if you ever have the opportunity, one would be sold on their product line. Staffed with just plain local folk, all sprechen zee Engrish with a desire to make the customer happy and safe and hope that you come back.

Klim a fine product, a close second. One of each if I had the bread...

For me, I am just under three hours from Aerostich, it's a great Saturday destination for my riding group.

Ps: they are supposed to get a foot of snow today/tonight:

Aero web cam: http://www.aerostich.com/webcam-outside

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,844
I just wore my old stuff - and threw way what was trashed when I returned and got new then
Old 04-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,504
I have a Klim Adventure Jacket which I like. It is well thought out and relatively stylish (much less so than the Badlands and Latitude, though). It was designed by someone who understands Dual Sport touring (Adventure Spec). It is one of the first and still very few jackets that you can use with a Leatt Brace. It is 100% waterproof. The materials are top notch and it is well made.

However, it was made in China (which surprised me) and I have been unable to find anyone who will work on it (I want to add wrist zippers, the only thing I really miss). Basically, what you see is what you get with Klim and if it gets damaged, you pretty much throw it away and buy another, which is not what I was expecting in a $1200 jacket.

The Badlands and Latitude are more stylish but less functional than the Adv, IMO. It's interesting that Klim's top of the line jacket looks more like a Darien than their "less expensive" jackets (everything Klim is expensive, it's just degrees of expensive). I keep looking at adding a Badlands jacket to the closet for street riding and leave the Adv for dual sport (yes, I am a gear whore).

I have a friend with a Darien and it looks functional rather than stylish but it is made in the USA and can be modified or repaired if required. The Darien does not look that impressive at Starbucks.

I have an Aerostich RC one piece on the way and I am looking forward to trying it out. Style is only one part of the equation, IMO.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote