Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
soyanarchisto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
Caffeination Nation

Help me keep my co-workers caffeinated. We are a small office of 9 people, of which about 5 are dedicated coffee drinkers, two drink tea and two have sold their souls to Diet Coke. We brew up a pot or two per day (more if we have meetings) and our current coffee pot sucks balls--it pretty routinely clogs up and spills half-brewed coffee out the top, burns the coffee, etc. Its about 3 years old and so nasty I wont use it.

I've been tasked with finding a substitute. We need something that looks good as well as performs well. Something simple that consistently brews a good cuppa, that we can use when clients come over as well. Has to have at least a 10 cup pot. I want to stay away from anything with a lot of complicated bells and whistles so our assistant (who doesnt drink coffee) can brew up a pot when the real coffee drinkers aren't around.

Any recommendations? I've been checking out the Bunn ST and Hamilton Beach.

Thanks
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,553
Maybe we need to merge you to
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852492

Have a seat, let's have coffee...
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459
We have an office of about 15 (with lots of clients coming and going) and we bought on of these: http://www.miele.ca/miele/canada/coffee_cva4062ss.asp
it makes great coffee and the clients love it.

At the lower end of the scale, you could look at a single use machine like this: http://www.nespresso.com/ca/en/home

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
soyanarchisto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
I appreciate the link. A french press would be impractical for our office as would a percolator.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
fatalpinist
Muddy and Scratched

Oddometer: 91
We make about 2-4 pots of black death per day. The Krups 12-cup coffee maker cost about $70 and is still going strong 4 years later. It is a cone style filter and glass carafe. There is a stainless steel 10 cup option as well. I liked it enough that I bought one for home use.

Looks like it's about $50 now.

http://www.sears.com/krups-fme214-co...3&blockType=G3

fatalpinist screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 09:45 AM Reason: Added link
fatalpinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,451
Bunn (commercial no home/office crap), there's no substitute buy it once and it'll be there when you retire.

At my last job we had one that looked like it was 50 years old and it made great coffee, the cheap suits hired a contractor to run our Cafe and they tossed it for some premix dowe egberts bullshit

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,923
If your diet coke drinkers ever need a jolt toss a couple pepsi max's their way. 0 calories with 50% more caffeine.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Taarne
Hello World!

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
If your diet coke drinkers ever need a jolt toss a couple pepsi max's their way. 0 calories with 50% more caffeine.
That stuff will hook you so bad. Ask me how I know..
Old 04-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Keep it simple...

A sink with instant hot water...

And an Areopress. Best cup of coffee ever... quick and simple and easy clean up.

Add a decent conical burr grinder and some local fresh roast and you would be hard pressed to do better.

Try some Ethiopian from Cellar Door

http://www.cellardoorcoffee.com/

As a bonus those wanting tea will have instant hot water too.

In spite of all the different coffee machines available at work, I take my Areopress to work. You only need to try it once and you will understand why...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 411
Keurig. Makes everybody's favorite brew or hot water for tea. Nothing to clean-up. No stale coffee stinkin' up the office.

Eric
eric1514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Keep it simple...

A sink with instant hot water...

And an Areopress. Best cup of coffee ever... quick and simple and easy clean up.

Add a decent conical burr grinder and some local fresh roast and you would be hard pressed to do better.

Try some Ethiopian from Cellar Door

http://www.cellardoorcoffee.com/

As a bonus those wanting tea will have instant hot water too.

In spite of all the different coffee machines available at work, I take my Areopress to work. You only need to try it once and you will understand why...

An areopress for an office? Really? Is everyone going to clean it up after themselves?

Try sharing your Aeropress with five other co-workers for a week and get back to us on how that's working out.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
An areopress for an office? Really? Is everyone going to clean it up after themselves?

Try sharing your Aeropress with five other co-workers for a week and get back to us on how that's working out.
+1

The Environment, Health and Safety Nazis have banned coffee makers from my current place of Employment and unless you buy Cafeteria coffee or bring a Thermos, that's our only other option. Talk about a Royal Pain in the Ass!!! Luckily people in our office don't f' up the break room too bad and do clean up their messes, but I still think it's bullshit. French Press/Aero Press, whatever; I think is a waste of time and a too much friggin' trouble for a cup of coffee.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
We have an office of about 15 (with lots of clients coming and going) and we bought on of these: http://www.miele.ca/miele/canada/coffee_cva4062ss.asp
it makes great coffee and the clients love it.

At the lower end of the scale, you could look at a single use machine like this: http://www.nespresso.com/ca/en/home
Thats the exact same machine that they use in my workplace. Works like harm!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Keurig. Makes everybody's favorite brew or hot water for tea. Nothing to clean-up. No stale coffee stinkin' up the office.

Eric

Someone in my lab brought in a Keurig. We go round robin buying boxes of coffee, usually off Amazon, 80 cups for $30 I think. Anyway, probably ~15 cups a day get made on it, easy, no mess, and it's been cranking away for a year with zero problems.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #15
subvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,325
Bunn. Simple, fast, works with any kind of coffee, and their warranty and customer service is great if you ever have a problem. I have been using Bunn machines at home for years.

subvet screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 04:28 AM
subvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: