Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #61
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Thanks again. I assume that this top clamp will NOT interfere with the ignition key, right? I want to retain the steering lock so I don't want to relocate the key to the top of this HDB clamp. I did see one of the top clamps (ADV, not ADVx) that seems to provide holes for switches, etc and does NOT relocate the key switch - that would be my preference, I'm just worried that my key switch in its stock location may become somewhat inaccessible - any idea? Also, I noticed that HDB also offers lower clamps for use as Scotts sub-mounts and it seems like a really inexpensive alternative to replacing the entire top triple clamp with the style that is more common to Scotts mounts. Any thoughts on that? I have been debating a steering damper - not so much for off road though I recognize that it does help but for higher speed travel when I switch to 19/17 wheel setup (reduced trail as a result of the wheel change, etc.) - I do not want high speed wobbles, head-shake, etc later on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Stock ones are 90x38/40, but I won't have stocks. I think mine will be 109, just waiting an email back about the spacing. When I find out I'll post it up. GPSCentral.ca might have what I need so I might be able to get what I need there. Also, anything listed under adv or fat bars will work with the stock clamps. :) I'll poke around some and post when I get back to my laptop... I hate typing on my phone, hahaha!

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #62
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Thanks again. I assume that this top clamp will NOT interfere with the ignition key, right? I want to retain the steering lock so I don't want to relocate the key to the top of this HDB clamp. I did see one of the top clamps (ADV, not ADVx) that seems to provide holes for switches, etc and does NOT relocate the key switch - that would be my preference, I'm just worried that my key switch in its stock location may become somewhat inaccessible - any idea? Also, I noticed that HDB also offers lower clamps for use as Scotts sub-mounts and it seems like a really inexpensive alternative to replacing the entire top triple clamp with the style that is more common to Scotts mounts. Any thoughts on that? I have been debating a steering damper - not so much for off road though I recognize that it does help but for higher speed travel when I switch to 19/17 wheel setup (reduced trail as a result of the wheel change, etc.) - I do not want high speed wobbles, head-shake, etc later on...
The top clamp you're looking for is http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...p_clamps_9%2F8 but they do offer simpler ones under the adv index. I don't think it will interfere with anything as it's quite a bit higher than the key and also not really that extended above the center of the bars. You could email HDB and ask them. They've been extremely helpful in letting me know what I need to get this project to come together, ;) Paul is who I've been speaking with.

As for the Scotts, I'm not sure as I've gone the full fat route and gotten Paige @ Emig Racing to send me a complete triple tree set up in a black finish with a Rev I damper. I will have to drill out the safety screws and relocate it in the tree anyway and with the 3.75" rise (and maybe more) I doubt I will have an issue with anything interfering with the key. HDB does have relocation brackets that bolt right up though and you could use one to put the key at the top of the riser if you want. http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_..._switch_mounts Lol, I usually never take the key out of my bikes... Who's gonna steal something THAT big and THAT dirty? I live in a rural part of town though... It's no DT TO. If you're switching to a 19/17 combo for tires and not running knobbies I don't think you will see the benefits as much out of an off road damper. If you do go with a damper you'd probably be happier with the Rev II/Scotts or something with a return to center if the bike will live primarily on the tarmac. If you're worried about head shake and the like then a damper suited for higher speeds is a sure bet.

http://www.scottsonline.com/Stabiliz...=&BI_ID=316444

$330 for just the stabilizer is a pretty good darn price too, but you might be able to find better! I only went full fat for the 20mm offset and more of an off road damper style. Sure, it's pricey, but it's again one of those things that I skimped on with my F650 and always longed for... Not for head shake, but for fork options and something to take a bit of the BASH out of hitting rocks and stumps. Cheers!

*Edit - The Emig riser spacing should be 106, not 109, my bad... damn phone typo.
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 06:23 AM
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #63
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

I am a complete derp sometimes. HDB has the switches on their site... LOL!

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...ef=pb_on-off_b
Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #64
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
LOL - you and me both :)

Quote:
I am a complete derp sometimes. HDB has the switches on their site... LOL!

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...ef=pb_on-off_b

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #65
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,563
Comments below:

Quote:

Pipes - FMF's on their way to my house.

A: These are a good choice to mate up to stock mid-pipe quiet and efficient

Now come the questions...

Bash Plate

A: I have the TT one, and friends have the BD one. Either will do the job but it seems like the AL used on the TT one is harder and holds up better the BD ones seem to be grabby when going over rocks. this observation is both mine and shared with others. Either one is a huge + over stock

Steering Damper

A: Go with the Scotts solution, end of discussion. Proven design and works. I have one and it does the job. Nuff said

Side Stand Relocation

A: Yes, this need to be done even with a skid plate. It is minimal in cost compared to what it does in prevention. Worth every penny, have you prices a new engine case?

Foot Pegs

A: There are options on this which makes it a more personal choice, I have the fastways, have tried pivot pegs and some of the CJ weld on wider pegs.

All have their advantages and pitfalls. I have small feet (size 9) so for me the Fastway's were the right choice. You will have to decide on your own bout this one. How you ride and such factor into it.

Personally I hated the pivot pegs, others swear by them. Each their own.

Bars -

A: once again personal choice I run the Magura X bend they are very straight but I have really long arms. Others that have ridden my bike are sitting there with their arms straight. I on the other hand have bent arms. You have to decide how much rise and sweep you want. There are charts out there that have all that information.

Heated Grips - I have the type that adhere to the bars and you can then install any grips you want over them. I have one set with over 150K miles on them. Been on two bikes. Best Mod Ever!

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm

Windscreen - No idea, I modified the stock. This is a very personal one.

Cruise Control/Throttle Lock Cant help here never used on sorry.

Joe
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #66
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
Comments below:
Thanks man!

The damper is going to be a Rev I that's coming with the Emig TT's. I really don't want a return to center and the deal I got I couldn't refuse. We'll see if I blow a seal out of it or not and Emig's service is stellar even if I do. Time and punishment will tell, :)

Side Stand: Going with CJ's. Definitely don't need to spend $3000 on new cases unless I'm building a second motor from scratch, lol!

Foot pegs are definitely a "to each their own" thing. I'm not a big fan of SUPER wide pegs, but a bit of extra length is nice. I'm going to try extensions first, but if I break them or find they aren't what I desire I'll try these http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-950-990-rally-pegs . I won't run alloy pegs of any kind anymore after busting a few sets and nearly losing the use of my knees, I too dislike pivotpegs... I've never had a set, but ridden friends bikes with them on and I always feel totally unstable. Yuck.

I like high and straight. I'll need to get the triples on and forks to have a seat on the bike and see what the sweep feels like on the stocks, but I'm still think Pastranas or similar will be more to my liking. I had Maguras on my F650 and loved them, but it's geometry is substantially different. I'm a big fan of sitting on it, closing your eyes and putting your hands where you feel comfortable. Then open them and voila, measure the sweep and rise and you're good. Once my seat changes to the Renazco I may have to do small adjustments, but nothing major. Maybe just lean them forward a bit.

Heated grip are gonna be the glue on ones, yep! Cheap, simple, perfect. The F had stock heated grips so I never really looked into any, but the glue ons under stock grips seem to be the consensus. I son't like the largeness of most heated grips anyway...

I'm gonna leave the windscreen till I ride it 300-400kms in different conditions both off and on each. Then I'll know lower or higher. My bet is on lower... Heard lots of tall guys tell me to just take it right off, LOL! I don't like a portable guillotine anyway,

Cruise control will remain the responsibility of my trust $7 throttle palmer. I've had it forever and none of the newer cruise gadgets seem any better than 6 years ago when I decided against one, lol! KISS principle again.

Thanks for your input man!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #67
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,563
Quote:
Thanks man!
No problem and I cant speak highly enough of CJ's products, he is my first stop when looking for something for the bike. I am running his brace.

Great products great support.

One of these days I will actually get to go on a ride with him....maybe...

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #68
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
No problem and I cant speak highly enough of CJ's products, he is my first stop when looking for something for the bike. I am running his brace.

Great products great support.

One of these days I will actually get to go on a ride with him....maybe...

Yep! CJ is super great to deal with! He's going through a move at the moment so he might be slow to respond, but he's got everything I needed and is just waiting on the SS switch eliminator to ship my goodies. He's been super helpful!!! I may find myself in his neighborhood some day too on my travels and if I do, beers are on me!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #69
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

HDB - Kick a$$ customer service

Highway Dirtbikes... Their customer service is really top notch!

Ordered up some hand guards (cause we all know how long the plastic stock ones last, LOL!), a top clamp with switch holes for the Emig triple tree, some switches and a couple of those freaking awesome "in-the-handguard" mirrors. I used to just strip off my mirrors when on the trails, but that gets old and when I'd forget to take them off I wouldn't stop riding to do it and they'd eventually end in bits... LOL! I'll use Double takes mounted to the bars for longer trips/highway stuff and the ability to still have a small mirror just to count the headlights behind me and make sure everyone is ok will be fantastic! (Nothing more exciting than a 60mph shoulder check to count bikes when on off road... not!) Still counting the days till being reunited with my as yet unflogged 990... 29...

The sunshine is the only thing nice out here... Smile of the day is brought to you by a 100cc Honda (I'm on the #3) chasing a pack of 125's and 150's on a go-cart track. Training days were so much fun cause you could wring the CRAP out of the little bikes and have just as much fun without the risk of big $$$ when you went down (when, not if... we played rougher on these too, lol! Flying elbows and knees were common, but all in fun!) I really hope they sort the track deal in/around Calgary soon... I need a paved play area too!

Glamour shot after the passes:

And a vid... this kind of racing is way too much fun...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...8450025&type=3

*Edit: Lol, just remembered the zip tie holding my shifter on... That poor little bike.

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 10:08 PM
Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #70
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

High Fender

Been mulling this over the last few days... While it is almost essential to get rid of the low profile front fender unless you're strictly riding pavement/dusty tracks/dunes, it has it's advantages in the aforementioned areas and also is super handy in the rain... I'm thinking of fabricating two sheet aluminum brackets about 2" tall to relocate the low fender bolts higher, thus shifting the fender up that 2". I did this on the F650 simply by using some spacers on the fork brace (it's not an upside down fork front end). I still managed to fill it once, but in all fairness it was an extreme exception (hail storm on a dust trail, LOL!). I will most likely have the low fender off for the majority of the time and still use a high fender, but for long trips/desert/dusty conditions I'd prefer to have it on.

Has anyone else fabricated their own relocation brackets for the low fender? Successfully? A pic of the Dak chugging along in the muck:

I also leaned down the low fender on the sides to aid the tire to clean itself out. Dang, that pic was a long time ago... before most of the tear down on the bike even, LOL! March in the Rockies isn't a lot of fun unless you have a twisted sense of humor!

*Edit: I think raising the front fender may be folly now that I think about it more... It might get crushed by the triple tree, lol! I'll have to check clearances when the forks are empty and I can bottom them out.

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 04:13 AM
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #71
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

A little sister...

Well, I've always been a fan of having something to ride while the "other bike" is in pieces being worked on and I felt the 990 needed a little sister. Something to train on, something to blow some stink off... Except it HAD to be street legal and still rough & tumble. I hate putting a bike on a trailer... But now I have a track bike that is street legal! I think it will suit me just fine for what I need it for. 2008 KTM 450EXC

:) I have the best friends ever... The guy buying my Dak went and scooped this for me when I found it on Kijiji. Gotta love it when you know someone else who likes bikes as much as you do! I get to ship out early so instead of 26 days to go now I only have 9!!!! WOOP WOOP!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #72
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Crispy

Got in touch with him and started planning out the graphics based off this pic. It's not going to be flashy, no free advertising and I'm going to keep it mostly white. I really just wanna cover that "limited edition" crap and have something to keep the plastics looking sort of nice, lol!

Definitely going to be a Dakar/Toureg on there somewhere and a KTM going across. Not sure exactly what it will look like yet. Maybe even a world map in the back ground? Any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #73
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Maybe something like this?

P.S. - My photoshop skills suck...

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 08:35 AM
Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #74
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 716
I like that. But white is so hard to keep looking good.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #75
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I like that. But white is so hard to keep looking good.
Ahahaha! Keep it looking good? Depends on what your perspective is on good I suppose... Good to me means dirty, muddy, scratched, used looking and in general, not shiny. ;) It's a bike, not a diamond ring!