Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,255
got the old style Gerbing jacket/pants with wires all over instead in microwire. no hot spots and works great with zero problems. also have microwire T5 gloves with no problems.

_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
I would encourage anyone who has had burn issues to take pictures and email them with a good explanation to Gerbing's, Like Dan Alexander said, his have been bullet proof for years and that has been the general consensus of those I have talked to.

The current recall is because of only two jackets, I bet they will be ready to repair FOC burn related malfunctions, it would be wiser than a much broader recall.
1981 CB900C
I'm not a glass half empty or full guy, I am just happy to have the damn glass!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
FixnPCs
Throbbing Member

Oddometer: 4
Widder went bankrupt a few years ago. I hope this does not cause financial problems for Gerbing.
FixnPCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
My liner has been bulletproof for over 20 years and I keep thinking I should upgrade .... I guess not
Been using one for 10 years - works great. Essential to follow their suggestions and to have a layer of clothing between your skin and the heated jacket.

If the jacket does not have the PO listed then it is not on recall at this time.
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
Brokein2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
The other day I was using mine and the left hand side of my neck got so hot that it felt like it was burning me also. Sure enough, it is part of the recall.

Never had any problems with other Gerbing gear I wear...but then, most of my Gerbing gear was built here in the USA rather than in China like this jacket liner.

Not sure if they are just going to fix it....or if I get a new product, but they handled it well a few minutes ago on the phone.
Brokein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
My jacket 3796 developed a hot spot about a month ago, then quit working.
I always had something between me and the liner though. I just turned the liner off and powered the gloves.
I was going to send it back as soon as it warms up, but since it also powers my gloves, I waited.
After I read this thread, I called Gerbing and they were very courteous and gave me all the information needed to send it back.
I asked them about their Extreme Element gear. They told me it would be out this fall.
I for one am glad they are bringing their line back to America. Maybe this will improve future mishaps.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
NX_250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Been using one for 10 years - works great. Essential to follow their suggestions and to have a layer of clothing between your skin and the heated jacket.

If the jacket does not have the PO listed then it is not on recall at this time.
--Very important to always have a layer between skin and heating elements..

--Always wear a properly fitted Jacket Liner. If garment is too large, folds in sleeves or in the body can cause overlapping wire area and hot spots.

--Items subject to recall are Made in China, and will have the PO listed.

Heated clothing (any manufacturer) can heat up to 100-135 degrees, and should always be controlled with a "thermostat", fitted properly and layered accordingly.

Quote from the new CEO: "nobody felt like this was a "necessary" thing, but I felt like it was the right thing to do. This was part of the reason that led us to mfgr products for 12v here in the US. as a result we've put safety measures into place, moved production here to America"

For questions and concerns on your product, call the number as listed on the recall.

Karol Patzer
Gerbings LLC
Dealer Sales

NX_250 screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 07:48 PM
NX_250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,907
I got a second degree burn on my tummy last October riding over to 129 and back. It was pretty cold. Didn't have it turned up that high although it was cold. It was still uncomfortable so I kept stopping and pulling my clothing away. I emailed Gerbing that weekend thinking I'd hear from them maybe the following week, but they got back to me that same day (Saturday) and we had a couple back and forth emails that weekend. My burn was right under the junction box on the left. She had me spread the pins out to get a better contact and I think that fixed the problem. Was headed back to Florida the next day and this winter was pretty warm, so haven't really done a good test run since. It makes sense though.

But the funny thing was, I didn't realize I was getting burned when it was happening. I was pretty busy riding so to speak. Even when I got home I saw the redness, but didn't think "burn" until it blistered. I guess I thought my belly was just getting too big - duh...
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #24
NX_250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
But the funny thing was, I didn't realize I was getting burned when it was happening. I was pretty busy riding so to speak. Even when I got home I saw the redness, but didn't think "burn" until it blistered. I guess I thought my belly was just getting too big - duh...
My S/O had an Eclipse vest, and still carries the scar. He didn't feel the burn while it was happening either.

I've worn pant liners, and never had a problem. Switched bikes, and got a burn in the groin area. Different seated position on the bike, overpants too snug, and the heated pant liner had a crease (2 layers of wires). Didn't feel it till getting off the bike. Spaced the wires, and haven't had the problem since.

Karol
NX_250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
smiffer
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Interesting that I saw this thread. Noticed the past week or so a hot spot in the lower back portion of my jacket. Riding to work yesterday I noticed that warm spot was especially warm. Ended up yanking the wire and unplugging it the jacket. My jacket is part of the recall. Called them yesterday during lunch and they emailed me a UPS label. Hopefully this whole process doesn't take too long.
smiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
I got a New jacket from Gerbing today. Great customer service!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #27
ShadowMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I'm glad I found this thread, my jacket is part of this recall.
I usually end up turning my jacket off before the front of my body gets warm because of a small hot spot on my lower back. On one ride I didn't notice soon enough and burned myself which eventually blistered.
ShadowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #28
WFRTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
My new jacket just arrived. I had only worn the old jacket twice because of weather and problems with my dual-temp controller that was also replaced by Gerbing. Hopefully all of my problems are fixed and I will get a chance to try out my heated gear in a few days when the temps cool off.
WFRTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillT View Post
I just went to check my jacket, the tags dont even list a manufacture date or PO# what the fcuk!! This is some bullshit yo!!

I went on the Gerbings website and on the homepage they have link to Recalls & Warnings... http://gerbing.com/Recall/warningsandrecalls.php
PO# RN110276?

My gloves had a short in them and gave me a burn blister on my palm. Luckily the NC warehouse is 30 minutes away so I just walked in and traded for a new pair, hassle free. Walked away with a heated liner, too.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #30
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 926
I just got a package from Gerbing's today. Cool a new jacket? Nope I got my old jacket back with a note saying they replaced the wiring and connectors. I might get to test it tonight. That's good customer service and quick turnaround.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote