Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
how many miles ? for does that tour on small scooter

HI,

well today I started looking at maps and got me dreaming.. so for the brake that tour (multi day trips, not necessary across the world thing) how many miles do you on small (50-200 cc) scooters?

I know it is a little broad, but I am trying to guess on what would be a good average day if I can keep it up.

For reference I can do 600 mile days on my KLR, and average 350 with no problem. But so far I have only done a 1 day 150 mile adventure on my beat.

Thanks for you input.

Damasovi
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
All depends on the land.

And on what you're trying to do.

Cover ground? Because what you want to do, is far away? Go as quickly as is comfortable. A scooter that size should be able to do 30 mph or so...so, ten hours, 300 miles. IF. If there's food and lodging at the 300-mile mark.

If you're in rough country, or sparcely occupied...you need to plan your stops. Do you want to stop at that seaside resort? If it's only 75 miles from your last stop...so be it. It's not an endurance test.

Are the roads bad? You won't make time. If you have to go 20 mph, you won't make 200 miles. You'll get saddle-sore first. Figure five hours tops, on that sort of terrain.

Plan it to enjoy it, and it won't seem a feat...but a true holiday.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
HI,

well today I started looking at maps and got me dreaming.. so for the brake that tour (multi day trips, not necessary across the world thing) how many miles do you on small (50-200 cc) scooters?

I know it is a little broad, but I am trying to guess on what would be a good average day if I can keep it up.

For reference I can do 600 mile days on my KLR, and average 350 with no problem. But so far I have only done a 1 day 150 mile adventure on my beat.

Thanks for you input.

Damasovi
300 miles in a day seems my optimum max....scooter (GTS250) or motorcycle (DR650). I start to lose my mental edge, thinking about cold beers, and sandaled feet, etc.

At my age, I dont see any profit in rushing through my trips any faster than they seem to come and go anyway.

I'm a serial "stopper". Taking pictures and poking around along the way.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
tburick
BLESSED

Oddometer: 16
Last summer I did a solo charity ride on my 49cc Honda Ruckus...I went 7,330 miles in 3 months...Pittsburgh to Matamoros Mexico, then from Mexico to Santa Barbara CA. I could not do much more than 125 miles a day. Top speed was 40 MPH and it was a slow go...sometimes would take 6 to 8 hours on the road to cover any real distance...in hilly regions I was down to 20 MPH full throttle for hours at a time.

By far one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

My website for the journey:

www.journeyfromsilence.com

Tom

Dude: Are you for real? You call me. You've got a lot of explaining to do to convince me that you are a NUT on a 50cc mission from God.
tburick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am thinking touring for a week 50-50 camping/hotel/munching So I have drop the idea of going all the way to Yosemite, it is just too much for 7 days, unless I trail it and then drive it, instead I have 2 options, ride it as far as Big Bear or go south to Mulege, either way I will drive no more than 250 per day.

In 2 weekends there is a get together in San Diego, I may go and see what 200+ miles feels on this scooter without all the stuff, just the flat kit and basic tools + wallet, and this will give me the taste in the number of hours and terrain.

keep it up guys!

Damasovi
Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Last summer, I took my Silverwing into central Oregon and Washington, a total of about 1900 miles, including Highway 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna, lots of two-lane backroads and highways, four lane highway and some interstate.

Central Oregon and Washington tend to be pretty windy areas and I am no spring chicken anymore. I recall my lowest mileage day was about 180 or so and highest about 350. As I was seeing the country from a completely different perspective (the back of a motorbike), I was in no particular hurry and was satisfied with the progress of the trip.

The number of miles you care to put on each day depends on a number of factors, including your priorities (distance v. experience), adherence to some schedule, motel reservations or lack thereof, general fortitude and so on. I like things relaxed, so I can enjoy the ride...I personally have no need to run around with my hair on fire anymore...but that's me.

Most important thing? Have FUN!!!
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,734
Once you go beyond 50cc then doing miles become more easy. Say your using on old elite 125 you ll be hitting 50 flat out or so. Go to elite 150 and you ll doing 55 MPG hour flat out give or take a little. . Once you up to 200 CC you doing 65 to 70 flat out . An old Ct 110 does 45 flat out . It all comes down to money and time . If you ve got 500 to grand you can find anything from 50 cc to 150 CC from the 1980 or so. 1 Grand to 2 grand gets you into 200 to 250 cc. Anything from Riva to a Helix . On A helix your be flying flat out at 76 MPH but that with a long flat roads. Climbing hills on a Helix is 55 MPH to 65MPH. It all depends on the hill grade and length. Sorry to those whom ride other brand because that is what I know honda . I ve done as high as 700 K a day and the low of 350 K on helix.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Most important thing? Have FUN!!!
o yeah!!! also the SW must be so fine and relax? I think you can put (if you wanted) 500-1,000 in a 24 hrs if you really had to, right?

The more I see it, the more I want to go nearer and take more pics! So I think 200-250 will be my limit.

Thanks to all and continue! please

Damasovi
Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
o yeah!!! also the SW must be so fine and relax? I think you can put (if you wanted) 500-1,000 in a 24 hrs if you really had to, right?

The more I see it, the more I want to go nearer and take more pics! So I think 200-250 will be my limit.

Thanks to all and continue! please

Damasovi
Never rode a Silver Wing; but my current "big bike" is a Burgman650. I came off big motorcycles once my back and other parts started showing wear.

I took the Burg to the Four Corners area of Colorado; starting in Wisconsin about a hundred miles east of Minneapolis.

NO...PROBLEM. I ate up 500 miles a day in transit; kept up with traffic. Had to use Innerstates more than I wanted but I got my share of lonely two-lanes.

When you get above 400cc, for all intents and purposes, you're on a motorcycle. Same rules apply, except of course that you have more luggage room, better wind protection.

We don't know your situation; but if you want to tour from Mexico to Yosemite, you want a bigger scooter or a true cycle. Or else, as you say, get a start by trailering it up.

Time is always a limiting factor.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
I love the concept of touring on a small scooter, smaller the better in terms on blasting through all the touring concepts that many of us have, especially those of us who come from a motorcycle background. If you are under 150 cc, interstates will not be an option, putting you on blue roads. Secondary highways will limit how far you can comfortably travel in a day. You'll have to deal with overall slower speed limits, stop lights, stop signs, and congested traffic. I'm good for about 350 miles a day on the super slabs, I'm 64. On back roads I'm good for 250 mies a day. I'm riding a FJR1300 or a Silver Wing. If I was on a small scooter, secondary road miles per day might drop to 200 or so.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
I've done a lot of touring by motorcycle and scooter so sometimes these questions flummox me because I can't remember what it was like the first time.

I think the best way to approach touring is to set not much of a goal and head off and see how you go. Certainly a trip to San Diego would be a great start. Also try not to worry too much. Travel light. More problems are caused by heavy luggage than are saved by carrying every last little thing. Also you will enjoy the ride a lot less with an overloaded bike, and touring is about riding don't forget, and riding a heaving pig is not as much fun at all.

Mazatlan-Nogales 1981

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
On my scootreport http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608324

....my average on swedish 50cc scoot(topspeed 26 mph) is about 250 miles/day on long trips, but there are days I do 340 miles.

On scoot Innova 125(8 hp) my average is about 400 miles on long trips, but some days I do +600 miles. Also done 1069 miles ones, but it took me 25 hours.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #13
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Depends very much on the area and the individual endurance/wishes.
Lonely roads (with few caribou and fewer moose and cars) or S/SE-Asian traffic chaos.
Not to forget the weather and season. Nice summer day with 24h sunshine (N-Scandinavia) or monsoon.
Best judge from own/local experience.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #14
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I did a total of about 600 km (400 miles) during this trip on a 1997 Honda Dream 100:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843199

I don't regard simply logging a large number of miles as touring. When travelling I like to linger here and there, to enjoy the surroundings. The bike is the means, not the reason for going somewhere.

Still there are times when there is a need to cover longer distances to get to the touring ground. I have done 5-600 km days on a 250. On the little Dream it would be easy to do 150 - 200 km in a morning, and do the same again in the afternoon, making for a 350 - 400 km day. The more stoic might like to do more.

There are those who have done the full 1000 mile Iron Butt on an eighth litre machine. OK if that turns you on, but I can't see the point.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #15
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billigan View Post
I rode my HD200 from Toronto to Mount Rushmore last June following along South of Lake Superior. There were few days I rode 400+ miles per day at max. speed of 60mph. I prefer the scooter over my Nighthawks for touring because of weather protection, coolness, great on gas and NO chain lube.

Nice setup and nice scooter

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote