ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
cba191 OP
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 676
another stupid gps question

i realize that this has been beaten to death, but...garmin's 2620, 276c, and quest 2. which one would be best for a f650. the magellan 700 is also a bit interesting. all are around the 600-700$ range online, and do what i think that i want. any reccommendations?

cba191 screwed with this post 07-18-2005 at 01:21 AM Reason: language
cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:01 AM   #2
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
I've just bought a second hand Nav.II after a lot of research.

If portability is important to you i.e. walking around a foreign city, you'll need a Quest or 276c, both have inbuilt power supply. The 2610/Nav.II needs an external battery pack to do so.

Quest has a non-expandable memory (256mb for Europe but only 128mb for the US?). 276C uses Garmins own memory cards which are expensive & top out at 256mb.

2610/Nav.II takes regular CF cards. The whole of western Europe is 1.7gb, so a 2gb card will mean no more downloading maps. Portability was not important to me, the larger screen (3.7" diagonally) & expandable memory of the 2610/Nav.II were more important.

I considered the 276c, screen size is 3.8" but the limited memory put me off. Quest's small screen (2.6"?) & limited memory failed to interest me at all.

I nearly bought a new 2610 for £550 + a mount but a 14 month old Nav.II with mount came up for sale at £525. The balance of BMW's 2 year warranty was transferable as I had the original purchase receipt. Garmin's normally come with a 12 month warranty.

I also appreciate the extra buttons on the Nav.II cradle that makes use with winter gloves on much easier.

Waypoints: 2610/Nav.II stores 500 whilst the 276c stores 3,000. I think the Quest also stores more than the 2610 but can't remember the figure though?

Just returned from the Alps. All went well with the GPS on the way there but operator on the return journey meant I could'nt access the maps on the memory card, had to rely on the Base Map.
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:23 AM   #3
cba191 OP
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 676
i just found that tomtom is coming out with a motorcycle specific gps. i've read a lot of favorable reviews about them, but have never actually seen one or talked to anyone who has.
cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu
I've just bought a second hand Nav.II after a lot of research.

Just returned from the Alps. All went well with the GPS on the way there but operator on the return journey meant I could'nt access the maps on the memory card, had to rely on the Base Map.
The map error, if that is what you got, is common, and can usually be fixed by pulling out the CF card and reinstalling it. Takes a couple times occasionally, but always seems to work for me. I think this is more the case on the early 2610/NAV II units.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
Possu
de-nOObed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
The map error, if that is what you got, is common, and can usually be fixed by pulling out the CF card and reinstalling it. Takes a couple times occasionally, but always seems to work for me. I think this is more the case on the early 2610/NAV II units.

Jim
Even easier to fix if you ensure you push the CF card all the way home in the first place.....................
Old 07-18-2005, 08:20 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu
Even easier to fix if you ensure you push the CF card all the way home in the first place.....................
I wouldn't know about that...

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #7
auslander
Meh

Oddometer: 707
TomTom RIDER

I think the TomTom RIDER is their moto-specific GPS, says it'll be out Q3 2005.

Personally, I want buttons instead of a touchscreen, but that's just me. Their website says it's waterproof. It has only 32MB of memory, but takes SD cards. Seems to have some phone integration which would be nice in a car but probably not a good idea on a bike.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:27 AM   #8
Possu
de-nOObed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslander
I think the TomTom RIDER is their moto-specific GPS, says it'll be out Q3 2005.

Personally, I want buttons instead of a touchscreen, but that's just me. Their website says it's waterproof. It has only 32MB of memory, but takes SD cards. Seems to have some phone integration which would be nice in a car but probably not a good idea on a bike.
The button pad is what attracted me to the Nav.II, ease of use when wearing winter gloves. I also made a Sun Shade for mine which limits access to the touchscreen a little, button pad rrstores access. Shade is held on with Velcro & works well now that I've mounted the unit in a more upright position with a Ram Mount rather than the stock BMW handlebar cross brace mount. Another benefit is that you can rotate it downwards to cover the whole front of the unit, especially the screen, when filling up with fuel, important when filling up as I've heard the touchscreen can be damaged by fuel.

Link to the thread with sunshade info:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...t=gps+sunshade