Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #16
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Nothing like doing 55 mph with some woman in an suv 3 feet off your rear tire to get your attention, plus all the people changing lanes into you.
Three times I had to ride between the barrier and a car that decided I did not count as a vehicle.
This happens to me quite frequently as mommies are chatting / texting while their kids are running amok in the back of the mini van and the little yippie dog is going ape shit in her lap. Hell, one even made eye contact before she did it. Well as soon as I'm done taking evasive action, i get right next to them tap on the window and give them a nice big and some random shouting that I know they cant hear but makes me feel tons better. but this is Utah and people are fucking idiot drivers here, I guess that why i ride a KLR and stay on the dirt most of the time.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Mohawk Unit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Hi folks, thanks for all the kind words and such. Just to give you an update, things seem to be going pretty great, all things considered. Other than banging the scab on my wrist a few times I'm feeling good. I still need to fill that Valium prescription as I know it'll come in handy one day.

I made out very well with the insurance dealings, they valued the poor guy at significantly more than what I paid, happy endings are good. Between that and the accessory insurance (seems like that's the typical 'adv' motorcyclist's best friend), I'm planning to parlay this ordeal for an 800gs, what I originally wanted but couldn't afford. Won't be surprised if the first thing I add is a flashing brake light.

Very weird not being on a bike for more than a few days. After a winter of judicious plugging in of the heated jacket I'm looking forward to enjoying spring riding. Just finished patching up the holes in my gear with some goretex adhesive stuff, the battle damage will be a nice reminder.

Barely legal motorcycle pixxxx!! | Me
Mohawk Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Glad to hear that you are ok... I ride that area often. I'm just off route 20, in Guilderland. I've had several close calls, due to people that are too stupid to drive.
justme23005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,088
Nothing like an upgrade!
Maybe you can work your way up to your dream bike!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
fltclark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk Unit View Post
Hi folks, thanks for all the kind words and such. Just to give you an update, things seem to be going pretty great, all things considered. Other than banging the scab on my wrist a few times I'm feeling good. I still need to fill that Valium prescription as I know it'll come in handy one day.

I made out very well with the insurance dealings, they valued the poor guy at significantly more than what I paid, happy endings are good. Between that and the accessory insurance (seems like that's the typical 'adv' motorcyclist's best friend), I'm planning to parlay this ordeal for an 800gs, what I originally wanted but couldn't afford. Won't be surprised if the first thing I add is a flashing brake light.

Very weird not being on a bike for more than a few days. After a winter of judicious plugging in of the heated jacket I'm looking forward to enjoying spring riding. Just finished patching up the holes in my gear with some goretex adhesive stuff, the battle damage will be a nice reminder.

The other guys insurance should also replace any damaged gear....
fltclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Mohawk Unit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just beginning to work with the other party's insurance company.

I Took the 800 on its first dirt foray today, honeymoon is in full effect. fun times. staying far away from rush hour freeways.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk Unit View Post
The middle-aged lady who hit me was already crying hysterically, and I was trying to calm her down, pretty absurd scenario right there.
^This same thing happened when my wife and I got hit by a car on our 650. There we are, calmly trying to get our gear off to make sure we're not broken, and at the same time trying to talk down a crying 20-something year old girl.
GoGoGavin41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Glad your OK. That's quite a story, but unfortunately one we hear all too often...

I was driving to work this morning with people on my ass, and darting all over the place thinking just how irresponsible drivers have become in recent history. Also how much in a damn hurry everyone is...

If you have to rush to get somewhere, you have a time management problem. If you have a time management problem that causes you to act in a selfish "all about me" dangerous manner, than you're a complete disgrace of a human being IMO.

I have a :30 commute to work which starts at 0700. I wake up at 0500. I don't have to get up that early. It takes me about :15 to be out of bed and put the door (I shower and all that at work). I choose to wake up early so as not to be rushed. Leave my house by 0615 so as not to feel rushed on my commute, and if I need to get gas or whatnot, I'm still good.

This makes me a safer driver, I just wish others cared as much about being safe and not so much in a damn hurry.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
Mohawk Unit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep @JRose, you're doing it right. The new rule for me is avoid commuter times on the highways at all costs, and just keep as much distance from cars when I do have to take it at quieter times. I can still feel the force of that truck behind me like it just happened.

Wired up my denali LED's on the 800 today, other than the one light that slid showing some battle scars, they work perfectly. Between that and some goretex patches on the Klim suit and gloves, I'm a big believer in saving for the extra quality.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #25
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
800's rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltclark View Post
The other guys insurance should also replace any damaged gear....
I agree up here in Canada when you wreck your Gear and helmet are replaced. With the same or equal too.
I'd go after that.
But most important glad your good.
Enjoy the 800 I'm glad I got mine, almost done Farkling......almost
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote