User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Flyinace1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
The other motorcyclists on the road

Everyone knows that cagers can be rude, do weird things or just not pay attention but what about motorcyclists? I figure we can be just as bad...every once in a while . I've had a couple odd things happen when another rider comes along on the road and I'd like to hear other peoples stories; the funny, the strange, the bad, the scary or whatever else you might have.
Here's my first story, it happened this morning:

I was riding on a two lane road during rush hour, so lots of cars. Most of them were going the opposite direction than me but there were still plenty on my side. I was riding behind some cars all moving at about the speed limit (which usually doesn't happen when this section gets busy) and there was an FJR behind me.
He was following at a good distance and we were staggered, I to the left of the lane and him to the right. As we come up to a three way intersection with stop signs each way I put on my blinker to turn right, made sure there was space and scooted on over cautiously.
As I come to a stop I notice him scoot to the left of the lane and pull up beside me so I figure he's going straight. Well as soon as it is our turn he pulls out in front of me and turns right my response "What the heck?!?" He couldn't go any faster and there's no where to pass anyone else, and I was behind him til he turned off the road.

By the way, does anyone know why someone would make a move like this?

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
mtnbkrmatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Just a guess, maybe he did it to make sure you saw how awesome he is.

Sent from somewhere in the Rockies
mtnbkrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,297
You're sure it wasn't a GSA?

rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Flyinace1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Unless the tuning forks are BMW know, yep I'm sure

Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
I have two, both involve cruisers, both me getting passed on the right side of my lane.

First, I'm on Rt. 9 in CT, nice day, no traffic. I'm in the left half of the right lane (two lane divided highway). I'm on a Super Sherpa, which is pegged (a Sherpa is pretty much always pegged on the highway). This chopped cruiser comes flying up behind me and passes me on the right, in my lane. Plenty of room (like, ALL of it) for him to move over into the, you know, PASSING LANE!

Second, also on the Sherpa. I'm in a group ride of a former internet forum called beginner bikers. In the left half of the right lane in a pretty good staggered formation of about half a dozen bikes. Anything from a little Super Sherpa to a Maxi Scooter to a Honda Valkyrie. The Valkyrie passes me on the right, in my lane. Later he said he knew I was holding my line so it was okay. After a few other bullshit experiences with riding with folks I'd "met" online, I've pretty much decided to only ride with people I actually know.

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
A few things immediately come to mind, because of their repetition.

Loud pipes on other bikes. Have a niche carved out in traffic, everyone getting along just fine. Here comes the rider with the loud pipes blasting through traffic, torquing everyone off. All the cagers are now thinking "blasted bikers", and I get to enjoy their wrath. I'll get crowded and sometimes cut off as a result. Interestingly, I can often times diffuse it by face palming my helmet and shaking my head.

Squids on sport bikes. To the point that there are areas I just don't ride. Don't like having dingalings blow past me at 140 mph doing a wheelie. Even if they're wearing a $1000 full faced Arai helmet perched on the top of their head, with a plastic rooster comb glued on. Nope. And the cops. Since they can't catch the squids, I'm a nice and convenient target. More than once I've been accused of racing and such just because I was on a bike in the area.

Group rides. Dear lord, trying to figure out how to get around them and not be integrated into their mob. The bigger the group, the worse the problem. 100 bikes strung out for half a mile, oh what fun. Especially if you want to do something like make a turn, which will invariably be where they are.

Friendly riders. I'll wave at you going by. But please, if we're going the same way, I don't want to formation ride with you. This may get much worse now that I own a Harley. They like to ride side by side in the same lane. I *hate* that. Bad enough having someone off my quarter, but beside me? I'm turning off now, bye bye.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
Everyone knows that cagers can be rude, do weird things or just not pay attention but what about motorcyclists? I figure we can be just as bad...every once in a while . I've had a couple odd things happen when another rider comes along on the road and I'd like to hear other peoples stories; the funny, the strange, the bad, the scary or whatever else you might have.
Here's my first story, it happened this morning:

I was riding on a two lane road during rush hour, so lots of cars. Most of them were going the opposite direction than me but there were still plenty on my side. I was riding behind some cars all moving at about the speed limit (which usually doesn't happen when this section gets busy) and there was an FJR behind me.
He was following at a good distance and we were staggered, I to the left of the lane and him to the right. As we come up to a three way intersection with stop signs each way I put on my blinker to turn right, made sure there was space and scooted on over cautiously.
As I come to a stop I notice him scoot to the left of the lane and pull up beside me so I figure he's going straight. Well as soon as it is our turn he pulls out in front of me and turns right my response "What the heck?!?" He couldn't go any faster and there's no where to pass anyone else, and I was behind him til he turned off the road.

By the way, does anyone know why someone would make a move like this?
Cuz FJR riders are ASSHOLES?

Just be glad you ain't ride'in in Taipei; Outta mah way beeeoootch!

BanjoBoy screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 07:27 AM
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 387
I ride an airhead; no one wants to ride in formation with me. I ride slow; everyone blows past me. I often turn off on to dirt; road bikes don't follow. I spend a lot of time in the right track on two lane roads; forces them to pass on my left. Most of the problem is solved
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Last fall I had something similar happen. Cruising down a main route with traffic lights I see a group of cruiser riders about two cars behind me....no big deal. I am waiting at a light...the light turns I proceed as normal.....as soon as the other cars behind me clear the light the cruisers in formation split around the car in front of them (both sides left and right) and then the second car....here they come up on me and as expected they split me. I ride left side of the lane routinely so some had to cross over into the oncoming lanes. At first I thought they must be the Sons of Douche Bags...(local MC) and wasn't going to even gesture a WTF...but as they pass I see no patches at all and got stunk out by the last guys giant stogy....I just laughed at the arrogance...they eventually turned off and I went on my way.....
Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
rdcamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Power to the airhead riders :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
I ride an airhead; no one wants to ride in formation with me. I ride slow; everyone blows past me. I often turn off on to dirt; road bikes don't follow. I spend a lot of time in the right track on two lane roads; forces them to pass on my left. Most of the problem is solved
rdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Flyinace1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I have two, both involve cruisers, both me getting passed on the right side of my lane.

First, I'm on Rt. 9 in CT, nice day, no traffic. I'm in the left half of the right lane (two lane divided highway). I'm on a Super Sherpa, which is pegged (a Sherpa is pretty much always pegged on the highway). This chopped cruiser comes flying up behind me and passes me on the right, in my lane. Plenty of room (like, ALL of it) for him to move over into the, you know, PASSING LANE!

Second, also on the Sherpa. I'm in a group ride of a former internet forum called beginner bikers. In the left half of the right lane in a pretty good staggered formation of about half a dozen bikes. Anything from a little Super Sherpa to a Maxi Scooter to a Honda Valkyrie. The Valkyrie passes me on the right, in my lane. Later he said he knew I was holding my line so it was okay. After a few other bullshit experiences with riding with folks I'd "met" online, I've pretty much decided to only ride with people I actually know.

David B.
Something like that has happened to me twice except they weren't passing.
Once was on the freeway riding my magna a guy on a harley comes up behind me and pulls into a staggered position but then slowly starts getting closer and closer til he's beside me and I figured that he'd pass me but instead he just stays there so I slow down and move to another lane.
The other time was on the streets & I was riding my FZ6 and a harley decides he wants to ride next to me I filtered up through the cars where he couldn't follow

Maybe I should just ride the center of my lane more often when a motorcycle is behind me

Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,049
Last month I was looking for a M/C park, but was having a hard time finding it. Out in the sticks on a deserted road, I determined that I was (again) not going in the right direction. Looking at the gps, there was a road up ahead where I could turn around. As I was entering a long right hand curve, behind a couple of SUV's, I notice a bevy of sport bikes come up behind me. Finish the curve, & as I check the gps again for the turn around spot, I hear a motor winding up. As I look in my left mirror, one of them shoots past. Then it got scary. Another goes by...ON THE RIGHT!!! Two up no less. Three went by on the left, but two went by on the right. Both were two up, girls had on no gear except for a helmet. Oh, I forgot to mention this was on a two lane country road. They barely kept it on the pavement as they blew past the two SUV's. Then these asshats turned at the road I was going to use as a turn around, less than a quarter mile ahead.

'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 207
Consider that here, way down below the Equator, a monthly payment for a 125cc Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha is cheaper than a monthly bus fare. Add that to the fact that big cities are increasingly congested (to the point where a 10min bike commute can easily turn into a 1 hour - or more - car/bus one). Consider also that public transport here sucks.

Result: people who have no business being on a bike, people who don't have the slightest idea on how to handle a bike (mandatory training here is laughable), people who don't wear gear (except for the law-mandated helmet), people who think the only maintenance a bike needs is fuelling up, all those people are loose on the streets, lane-splitting like there's no tomorrow. Chaos (and lots of crashes) ensues.

These under-trained and unfit bikers endanger me more than the cagers. The cagers are a lot more predictable.

There's a popular saying here: "I miss the time where the only ones riding were people who liked bikes".

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

mamm screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 02:09 PM
mamm is online now   Reply With Quote