Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #31
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
As others have mentioned, a two-wheeled vehicle with a sub 50cc engine doesn't need a license here in Virginia. We get a good number where I live as we used (still do?) have a dealer of ultra-cheap Chinese scooters. So you get a smattering of riders putzing around on balding, flat tires and four stroke engines doing their best impersination of a two stroke, all with exhaust whines louder than a bare pipe on a 'busa.

For the most part, though, they don't really have or cause much in the way of accidents even if I have to wonder how they manage to not hurt themselves with the way they ride. Probably due to the urban environment but still not enough scooters relative to cars so that scooters remain an oddity. They stand out better to cars than a motorcyclist in hi-viz. And, hell, some just take the sidewalk on their scooter anyway.

But, outside of that, most motorcyclists I've come across haven't done too much in the way of annoying things. The only instance I can remember happened one day heading home after a rec ride. Two guys on supersports came hauling ass down the interstate in rush hour traffic. Probably approaching 100 MPH given the speed of traffic flow. They then proceeded to suddenly slow to near the speed of traffic and dart around at random before eventually turning off.

Ironically, they both had brake light flashers, but one was broken (or he was riding the brake) so it flashed constantly. You couldn't tell if he was braking or not.

Oh, and someone in this thread reminded me...why DO some Harley riders (and/or cruisers, but I've only observed this in Harley riders thus far) blip their throttle while moving around the parking lot or at low speed? Inability to feather the clutch? Engine so low tuned and with straight pipes so it can't maintain idle? Just to hear themselves bark? Never could figure it out, and that's excluding blipping at a stoplight or something.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #32
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,603
I had three cruisers pass me kind of agressively i.e absorbing my buffer zone on a line of cages slowing for a bend.
WTF I'm taking the next turn onto the windy road that turns to dirt, let them by.

That wasn't the dumbest thing I saw that day.
They took the same turn I was intending.

Maybe they thought
  • an ADV bike with full knobs was going to pass up a dirt road shortcut and do an extra 15 miles on the slab to get to the next town.
  • they were so cool I'd sit behind them and eat dust all the way to town.
  • they were fast.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #33
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 419
Spare me from the weekend warriors; those rugged individualists all dressed alike in their black leather vests, fingerless gloves and maybe a brain bucket, piloting their tassle-equipped, chromed-out manhood extenders, puttering along at speeds that would frustrate a 60s Lambretta rider, while demonstrating a lack of riding techniques that makes you go "What The F(#*?" as you are trapped behind their lemming-like conga line, slithering like an arthritic earthworm through your favorite corners...

dwestly screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 09:00 AM
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #34
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Flying Ace, if you don't want them to pass on the right, move over before they get to you, if you've got the room. Courtesy.

I'm riding my old Daytona 955, maybe 12 years ago, and I catch up to a brand new Gilroy Indian, with manufacturers plate (I notice shit like this). He's pacing a Suburban, riding on the left side of the lane. He looks at me coming up in the mirror, I know he saw me. As I'm coming up on the right, giving him plenty of room, he moves over on me just as I get to him. I back off, maybe he was distracted or something, and he's watching me in the mirror. I start coming by again on the right, and he moves over on me again. Hmmm. I back off, and he moves back to the left. OK, one more time, as he's still pacing the Burb. Fuckin' A if he doesn't do it again, only this time, it's a more aggressive swerve. Now, I'll tell you, I've got plenty of short track first turn experience, I'm not intimidated by anyone on the street, nor am I averse to clanking handlebars with them if need be. so I'm down 2 or 3 gears, and I breeze his ass, I believe my handlebars (clip ons) went under his apehangers, might have even touched his elbow going by. So, fuck it, problem solved, and I'm rolling. I take the next exit, maybe a mile and a half farther up the road, and as I'm coming to the stop sign at the bottom, I hear him coming down the ramp, he's chasing me. I hang a right, I hang another right at the next light, and I hear him behind me, all 60 hp at a full gallop, not sure what he's gonna try to do, but if he get's too close, I'll put him on the ground (ride some short track, that'll teach you how to do those things). We go up this hill, and he's charging. Well, normally, there is a speed/radar trap coming over this hill. So I hit the brakes, and sure enough, there is officer radar. And he lights up. He got me at 43 and got him at, if I recall correctly, 63 or 67 mph. Now, as soon as he jumps off his bike, he runs up to the cop, and says, "He almost hit me." So, I counter with, "maybe if you practiced more on that piece of shit, you would'nt be so scared and ride so shitty". And I think it was that big native american guy from the Lorenzo Lamas biker show, the big guy with the pony tail, I'm about 90% sure it was him. Well, I know the cop, and he asks me what happened, and I told him nothing, and told the guy on the Indian, "you shouldn't snitch on people, when you did the shithead move", and I really think he understood that. But he got a probably $300+ ticket out of that.

I notice a lot of anonymity towards other style of bikes from some members here, and comments that the offending riders weren't ATGATT. Shitty riding is one thing, whether sport bike or cruiser or ADV bike. But there seems to be some bias here, for someone just riding a different style of bike. We all ride. And just because someone doesn't wear the gear you think they should, doesn't make you the better rider.

corndog67 screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 10:18 AM
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #35
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Flying Ace, if you don't want them to pass on the right, move over before they get to you, if you've got the room. Courtesy.

I'm riding my old Daytona 955, maybe 12 years ago, and I catch up to a brand new Gilroy Indian, with manufacturers plate (I notice shit like this). He's pacing a Suburban, riding on the left side of the lane. He looks at me coming up in the mirror, I know he saw me. As I'm coming up on the right, giving him plenty of room, he moves over on me just as I get to him. I back off, maybe he was distracted or something, and he's watching me in the mirror. I start coming by again on the right, and he moves over on me again. Hmmm. I back off, and he moves back to the left. OK, one more time, as he's still pacing the Burb. Fuckin' A if he doesn't do it again, only this time, it's a more aggressive swerve. Now, I'll tell you, I've got plenty of short track first turn experience, I'm not intimidated by anyone on the street, nor am I averse to clanking handlebars with them if need be. so I'm down 2 or 3 gears, and I breeze his ass, I believe my handlebars (clip ons) went under his apehangers, might have even touched his elbow going by. So, fuck it, problem solved, and I'm rolling. I take the next exit, maybe a mile and a half farther up the road, and as I'm coming to the stop sign at the bottom, I hear him coming down the ramp, he's chasing me. I hang a right, I hang another right at the next light, and I hear him behind me, all 60 hp at a full gallop, not sure what he's gonna try to do, but if he get's too close, I'll put him on the ground (ride some short track, that'll teach you how to do those things). We go up this hill, and he's charging. Well, normally, there is a speed/radar trap coming over this hill. So I hit the brakes, and sure enough, there is officer radar. And he lights up. He got me at 43 and got him at, if I recall correctly, 63 or 67 mph. Now, as soon as he jumps off his bike, he runs up to the cop, and says, "He almost hit me." So, I counter with, "maybe if you practiced more on that piece of shit, you would'nt be so scared and ride so shitty". And I think it was that big native american guy from the Lorenzo Lamas biker show, the big guy with the pony tail, I'm about 90% sure it was him. Well, I know the cop, and he asks me what happened, and I told him nothing, and told the guy on the Indian, "you shouldn't snitch on people, when you did the shithead move", and I really think he understood that. But he got a probably $300+ ticket out of that.

I notice a lot of anonymity towards other style of bikes from some members here, and comments that the offending riders weren't ATGATT. Shitty riding is one thing, whether sport bike or cruiser or ADV bike. But there seems to be some bias here, for someone just riding a different style of bike. We all ride. And just because someone doesn't wear the gear you think they should, doesn't make you the better rider.

Wow. You really know how to represent. I wonder what he was pissed off about?
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
corndog67
Banned

Well, since the fuckhead decided to move on me, when i was being considerate, once or twice might be a mistake. The third time, with a big swerve, changes things considerably.

I don't represent anyone but me. Fuck you. I guess, I could have just rolled over for him, I suppose you would. But I didn't try to stuff anyone. He moved on me.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #37
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 419
Two wrongs don't make a right. They just piss off everyone else...and show a lack of riding maturity... JMHO...
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #38
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
were you attempting to pass him on the right in the same lane?
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #39
corndog67
Banned

Yep, ever heard of lane sharing? He was pacing a Suburban which was in the left lane. He was against the line on the left side of the lane. Plenty of room on the right. He saw me coming, he looked right in the mirror at me. And proceeded to try to block me, not once, but 3 times. Which didn't work very well. And for playing his badass biker game, he ended up with a 63 or 67 in a 35 zone ticket. It was one or the other. Can't remember which it was.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #40
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
we don't have lane splitting in mn. the way i understand it works is you should have passed him on the left and the sub on the right. is that correct?
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #41
Long Gone
Objectivist

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post

Oh, and someone in this thread reminded me...why DO some Harley riders (and/or cruisers, but I've only observed this in Harley riders thus far) blip their throttle while moving around the parking lot or at low speed? Inability to feather the clutch? Engine so low tuned and with straight pipes so it can't maintain idle? Just to hear themselves bark? Never could figure it out, and that's excluding blipping at a stoplight or something.
Maybe they're practicing for flying a Jenny? Years ago I read that they were either full throttle or nothing so the pilots would hit the throttle while taxiing etc. to keep them running. Supposedly that caught on somehow.

“One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more” Thomas Jefferson
Long Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #42
Long Gone
Objectivist

Oddometer: 242
Quote:

No, they all had signatures. Maybe you meant animosity?

“One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more” Thomas Jefferson
Long Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #43
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Yep, ever heard of lane sharing?
Ya. Sharing a lane with someone that you know is fantastic. Having a random rider try to pass in the same lane isn't. You took a risk with someone else's life so you could get to the exit a few seconds sooner?

Granted the other rider shouldn't have been in the left lane unless he was intending to pass the Suburban, but turning a slightly annoying situation into a dangerous situation is the very sort of thing that makes people want to legislate motorcycling out of existence.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #44
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,193
http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

Quote:

2) It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster
The Four R's or “Be-Attitudes” of Lane Splitting:
Be Reasonable, be Responsible, be Respectful, be aware of all Roadway and traffic conditions.
Riders must be conscious of reducing crash risk at all times
When is it NOT OK to split?
...- If traffic is moving too fast or unpredictably

He may have been a schmuck for not wanting you to share his lane, but did that make it ok to clip his elbow with your handlebar as you so proudly put it???

How fast was traffic going to allow you to drop 2-3 gears and "breeze his ass"?

Sounds like we have another definition of Corndog...
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #45
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
WRONG!

Watch the vid closely & try to pay attention. The rider on the left crowds his way past. Whatever is overextended on his rear rack catches the left bar of the girl on the scooter & takes her down. His fault, not hers. The guy that looks down at her & rides off is a total dick. I'd like to meet the girl's hold'in up a bunch of scooters, moves right, then when the him.
Here ya go internet tough guy, watch closely.