Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #16
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAL. H. View Post
Hey Bill, see you're making fast progress here. Shame F2 didn't want to provide individual parts. But then the Fiesta stub is much stronger than the original could ever be.

Now for the bit you probably ain't going to like. But it's got to be said. :rob

You've made a very nice frame and fitted it to the rather iffy 'strength-wise' Velorex frame. Now this might or might not be fine. Here's my take on what I see.
You have welded your nice strong box section frame to the four tub mounting points on the Velorex frame. Now this might be fine but for the fact that you have then welded the triangle (top) mountings to the box section and you lateral (bottom) mountings to the velorex frame. What this does is to put all the triangular forces through the four tub mounts that are made of eastern European 2mm plate welded to 2mm 'at best' eastern European metal tubing. I'll grant you, you have put a piece of metal angularly from your new frame to the upper suspension arm. But I don't think that will ultimately be enough to support it in use.

I think what will happen when you use this rig. Maybe not straight away, but probably quite soon. Is that those four tub mounts will start to act like hinges and will then come adrift and you will find you are riding a solo with a large hunk of metal flapping about next to you. I believe you need to fix the new frame to the old frame much more securely. IE weld the two directly together. Better still dump the old frame and just use the new one.

Sorry to be the devils advocate on this but I really think you have a serious design fault here.

This might make my thoughts and concerns about eastern European metal a little clearer. The Ural is a much beefier and stronger design than the Velorex. Nicked from 'tempered_lobster's' thread.

The front top mount broke at 85mph on the A1, an interesting time followed. Think trying to control a plate of blancmange. A while later the rear mount snapped, soon followed by the front again. Came to the conclusion that the thing was an accident waiting to continually happen, and as my son wanted to come for rides with me, something needed to be done.

Val.

Val, you're spot on, and thank you

We've created a sandwich effect, with the top slice (our strong one) attached to the top mounts and the bottom slice (the velorex one) attached to the bottom mounts, with those four 2 inch square plates as the only filling apart from that one other plate we put in on the suspension unit area.

That filling is, as you suspect, going to start 'sliding' inbetween the two slices as the force of the upper and lower mounts pull the two layers in opposite directions

It will be rectified at the beginning of the week

Don't FFS stop pointing stuff out....It's easy to miss things when you're so close to it, and your input is valued and taken the right way

Thank you
Old 04-19-2013, 04:26 AM   #17
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

We had to start taking out a gearbox to go to Ashcroft's tomorrow, so we lost a few hour's work on the rig, but things are still progressing and it ought to be tested, fully legal and properly set up for it's inaugural trip to the ICL rally this weekend coming

Front and side ally plates in place, 1mm plate
Rear light panel in place with a superbright 4 inch combined side/brake LED light and a pair of 2w red running LED markers on the back bar:

I swear this thing looks more like a Roman War chariot every minute

Nearly forgot to disconnect the battery before some more welding :blast

And then a pause for me to transfer the shytebag from my GSA to the Brick 2

You can't see it with the tank back on, but under here, from the top mount going forwards and upwards to the beak subframe mount point on the main chassis rails, there is an 8 inch strengthening bar whose main purpose is to stop any twisting forces on that top mount point.

Using special electric glue to stick a plate on for me to wire in a junction box for all the lights

And while we have the electric glue gun out, a strengthening fillet between the top layer and the Velorex subframe (there's another you can see over on the suspension side, on on top and one underneath)
The top layer of the sandwich is now well and truly glued to the weaker bottom layer 2

A subtle coat of red oxide

And then some 1 inch box and a few offcuts to make up a mudguard mount- over engineered, but there's likely to be a rack on top, or some fat German guy will sit on it at some point :blast

before painting the supports, this is how the mudguard (9 quid from a trailer shop) fits:

And the little tab for the junction box I'll build tomorrow 2

First test wiring of the LEDs on the back
Tail off the bike to trace out the supplies- Wiring should take the load 'cos we're only adding a couple of extra LEDs on :cool:

Gert took it around the Farm on Sunday when I wasn't around ( and reports that it rides well, with some handlebar shake coming in at around 30mph.....we'll have a play some more when it's fully road legal after tomorrow and see if it might need a steering damper
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #18
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

It Lives!!!!!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #19
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

Well it's off to the ICL (Icy Hell ) Rally this weekend.......Gert with Kattrin on the back and all their camping gear in the rig......

I have to say it turned out much better looking than either of us imagined, from what we started with

Next week we'll be fitting a split charge system in with the car battery that Gert has just taken for this weekend strapped in rather than fitted.

There are still some details to be sorted and a bit of painting to do, some better lights and so on, and the suspension needs tuning properly, plus after a moderate ride this weekend (The rally is up in Lincolnshire somewhere ), we'll go over every witness mark I made carefully to see if anything has shifted, plus by then we'll know if it handles, shakes its head or whatever.

I'll upload another few short bits of video tomorrow and hopefully after the weekend there'll be a load of pics of it in action

Loaded up tp go

160 miles later, still all in one piece 2

I'll bring my bullet cam in soon and we'll strap that to it, but it drives well and cruises at 65 fine......carries the load well and does what it says on the tin
Old 04-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #20
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

Well, after a coouple of months of testing, tuning and tweaking, plus a trial run from here up to Lincolnshire for a weekend rally, the outfit is going to be PROPERLY tested next week.....Shod with brand new TKC80s on the bike and the decent new-ish car tyre on the rig, plus a car battery wired in to a split charger, it's going to the Elefant down in Bavaria-Thurmansbang-Solla

Two up, with a new spring and shock, fully loaded, it'll be a good test of our engineering 2

Guess who gets to stay at home and look after the shed :blast

Last minute panic bodging today.....

Loaded up, with the two of us fat bastards jumping up and down on the rig, we decided that the shock wasn't up to spec.

Armed with three or four old shocks from the cellar and various 'odds and sods' bins, we got out the whirry sharp tools and started playing

That's the unit we settled on, with a progressive spring on it

The bottom mounting point would have to move back a few inches. The suspension tower would have to be strengthened up as well...we didn't like the 'feel' of the look of the top part, it just 'felt' like the weak spot IYKWIM

Before the new piggyback swingarm went on (we like making up new engineering terms )

Out come the choppy uppers

The bit of angle iron going across the 'swing arm' is going to be to glue the piggyback swingarm to.

You can also see the cleaned surface of the spacer between the two swing arm plates here

Offering it all up and prior to strengthening fillet/paint

Then a strengthening fillet at the top of the suspension turret, and if you look at the end of the new piggyback swingarm, you'll see we cut a v in that, bent it up half an inch with our impact adjuster (XL) and welded it back up.
That was all to add an extra half inch or so of preload to the spring.

Back on with the mudguard and it all looks pretty good (well, we think so :P)

Out she goes, and we run it around the yard a bit with the fattest bloke on site (That'll be me then :) jumping up and down on the sidecar floor to do a proper scientific controlled measurement of all the exact suspension parameters that are crucial in setting up a sidecar for a trip to the Elefant next week.....

feels good yup that's ok too fuckit, it's fine, let's get the kettle on :JB

Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #21
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

No project should ever stand still for long, or stop altogether.

So today, out came the whirly sparky tool, the big electric glue gun and we got jazzy in the workshop :)

A bit more tubing got electric glued on.....

Then we offered up the new scrapyard find.......

Perfikk fit.......as nicely made as a Vernatech box, but stainless steel....inch and a half of lip with rubber door trim going up into the lid, so it ought to be waterproof too

We ran out of time, having spent several hours trying to reset the airbag suspension on the G4 up on the ramps (frikking sensors didn't want to zero out :blast)

Next week, we'll finish off the frame, paint it all up again and then fit a split charge system and aux truck battery into the steel box.

(oh, and re-wire the LED lighting on the back end of the box)

In a couple of weeks, we have a full leading link suspension set up coming in from a project bike in Holland......we have already got hold of a drive shaft (from a PTO winch system) and the plan is to machine up a widgety farkle to bolt into the GS rear wheel and run it to the chair wheel with a locking hub system to be able to select 2wd (we'll need to rebuild the whole subframe of the chair to route it, and build a new suspension turret system to mount and take it all) :bounce1

We're also cataloguing it , so when we get to a stage where we're happy with it all, we can do more builds in a similar vein......so if anyone wants a custom built rig, let us know

This one, as it stood first thing this morning, now has 2500 miles on it, including a good long run down tot he Elefant and a lot of mud-plugging there, and not one of the witness makes has moved a single millimetre.....it's solid as fekk, properly stable on the road and fully legal 2

Old 04-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #22
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

Crappy picture from my old phone, as the USB card reader isn't working :

Sidecar in pukka kalahari yellow
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #23
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
You's guys have a great creative gift.

Metal art I tell ya,

+1
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #24
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

It worked

Last week (actually January the somethingth), Gert and Katrin set off to the Elefant in deepest Bavaria......

It's fair to say they managed to fit rather a lot more on board than they would have been able to with just the bike....
American army tent
Beer
Chairs
Table
Beer
Clothing for all weathers and Gert's mankini
Beer

Elefant treffen...-20 c when we looked at the forecast the week before.

Wait 'til you see some of the stuff people took 2

This guy was in charge of the wood stove and three of his mates had parts of the tent......the other two had the beer

Now this rig, I must admit, gives me a semi

No idea why, but the bloke hadn't bothered changing out his rear studded wheel, even though this was on the way back and out of the snow :

POST BY GERT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloek View Post
Right here we go then (now bill has my bo##ocks in the vice )

We set off on monday morning to catch the dayboat from harwich with 2 outfits The reason why we took so much stuff is because there is nothing there Well 1 imbiss (teastall) which sells out by 3 in the afternoon and the nearest shop is about 10 km away We took are own food and shelter tent bbq and warm clothing The weather can change overnight there so you have to be prepared for the wurst really (which 2 englishman found out when they turned up with there halfords festivalcampingkit ::and got the wrong idea about winterrallys) In 2010 there was overnight a snowfall off :eek::eek:The bikemirrors just stuck above the snowline We dicided to do the trip in 3 stages as we made it in to a holiday We spend the monday evening at my parents and from there on 500km further to wurzburg were we had a gasthoff for the night

This is basicly all civilisation there is THE ENTRANCE

and this is what we arrived to ONE calais refugee camp

Fanum screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 05:10 AM
Fanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #25
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

Quote:

we stopped every hundred miles to get some blood through are mighty fine back sides The closer we got to deggendorf turnoff (junc 111 on the a3)the more happycampers we saw :ronno

lovely ural (will be next purchase for next year22)

one off the roads up the hill

my old girl parked up No not the girlfriend :

local beerwagon jug:jug:

Right one for you lot then Went up and downhill like nothing else BUT what is it ::

my all time favorite 1943 ZUNDAPP :ronno:ronno
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #26
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

Quote:

best winter outfit ever :

them germans :blast:blast

hotel with secure parking jug:
Old 04-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #27
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

Quote:

some random ones
Old 04-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #28
Fanum OP
Moto-Morocco Meister

Well, that's it....for now

Next two builds are going to be on my Brick (as seen in some of the pics above) and an 1150GSA......we're learning all the time, and with common sense, a bit of engineering nouse and a shed full of tools, it's frikking fun doing it too

Any Advriders who ever make it over to Blighty, get in touch and our workshop is available to anyone in trouble over here.......beds and beer just down the road (we're in Essex, near Colchester, and about ten miles from the port of Harwich/Felixstowe which drops you onto the continent)
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #29
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing the build, your humor (that's humor right?), and your first adventures.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 942
Thanks for sharing your build and the great pics of the Eli.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote