Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
sintax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Basecamp Autorouting frustration

Hey guys,

I've been using basecamp to route my TAT maps, i've done TN through CO so far with pretty good success.

I'm using the 24k Topo maps

I got to this one section in Utah where I cant for the life of me get the auto routing to do what I want it to. I've tried dragging the route to get it to snap to the road i want, but it just keeps routing wrong.

I thought it may have to do with the u-turn, so i changed the preferences to allow for u-turns. But no fix.

Is there a way to manually draw the route? or force it somehow to follow my mouse?

I'm also using the Mac version btw.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,701
24K doesn't autoroute over all roads.

Contains many routable trails, rural roads, city neighborhood roads, major highways and interstates

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,314
Mapsource and tracks...
Old 04-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Mapsource and tracks...
Basecamp does tracks too.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Basecamp does tracks too.

True, but IMHO (which I'm sure Mike will disagree with) Mapsource is more user friendly.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
True, but IMHO (which I'm sure Mike will disagree with) Mapsource is more user friendly.
It's really dependent on which gps you have. If you're using a 60/76, you are better off using Mapsource.

If you have a modern gps, you're missing out on important features if you stay with Mapsource.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
I'm also using the Mac version btw.
Quote:
Mapsource and tracks...
Actually it's a moot point since the OP is on a Mac. No Mapsource for Mac.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
It's really dependent on which gps you have. If you're using a 60/76, you are better off using Mapsource.
That depends on what map product you're using. I have a 60Cx and the latest City Navigator North America map set. Map Source does not recognize CNNA because you download it to an SD card. Map Source cannot read a map set from an SD card, the map set must be in a known directory on the hard drive. Even if you copy the map set to your hard drive, Map Source will not recognize it. I have confirmed this with Garmin.

However, as you pointed out, it's a moot point.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
sintax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I have windows machines, but its super nice mapping on my 27" imac...

I guess i'll have to keep messing with it. I'm sure I can figure it out eventually, but it does not sound like there is some stupid easy thing i'm missing.

I've made it from TN to UT without having too many hiccups, so i'd really like to finish using this.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
I had the same frustration last year. We were using the route sheets and having the gps as well for backup. Once you get out west there are a lot of the roads / tracks that aren't on the Basecamp maps. Make tracks and mark a waypoint on every one of SAMs instructions. Rename it with the route sheet mileage. That way when the waypoint comes up you can easily reference it to the route sheets to prove where you are. I would also get better detailed maps of Oregon as SAMs aren't in enough detail to be much use.
Hope that helps.
Cheers Phil
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 271
BaseCamp

I've been using BaseCamp heavily, plotting TAT for this summer's ride and have really gotten to like it a lot. I have a mix of OSM, 24K Topo and NA City Navigator maps that I'm going back and forth with just to see what works best.

I'm using Sam's TAT GPS tracks as a starting point and breaking each of his state tracks into one-day-ride tracks. I'm adding a ton of waypoints for fuel and lodging stops as well as POIs along the way. I'm pulling most of the POIs off of Sam's roll charts but adding others.

There are some areas where we don't want to follow TAT exactly so I've added some tracks of my own. I just zoom in tight enough to see the trail and then scroll over the map and add points at every little kink in the trail and then convert them to a track. It sounds labor intensive but it isn't. BaseCamp makes it easy to bang in 100 - 150 points as fast as you can click the mouse.

Here's a screen shot of one of the hand-built tracks. It has 91 points in 15.2 miles and took about 5 minutes to create.

Here's a closeup of the crazy squiggly path at the end where the trail doubles back on itself a bunch of times. Note how many points I put where the trail gets weird.

Yes we are riding TAT backwards, contrary to Sam's advice. We don't have much choice as we are returning from the Arctic Circle and don't want to ride all the way to TN just to turn around and ride back to OR.

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote