Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Blew the motor on my Honda Elite 250 1989... ITS BACK BABY!

Was running fine, had new oil and when I was riding to work it started dieing then starting, I pulled over when I could and low and behold it would not start again. Looking at the piston, it grenaded at some point.

Now here I am a few months later wanting to get her going again. I am looking for any info on why it may have happened, had good compression, hole in the muffler, passed a leak down test, new oil, new anitfreeze and was cruising around 60 when it happened.

Also i would like info on what a 4 stroke rebuild entails. I know I need a cylinder hone and a piston kit, Bottom end will be flushed and is not locked up, crank is still tight and within tolerance.

Is the bore/stroke the same size of the 85-87 model? I cannot find a manual or any info at all on this scooters motor I want to get her running and going before the sunny weather hits Washington!

EDIT! Update on Second page

Creation screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 10:25 PM
Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Pure guess, a lean condition resulted from the carburetor insulator having a crack in it. That was the #1 killer for a long time.

There is a CH250 Yahoo Group which may have a link to a manual and help on the piston interchange. Here is another link to the service manual.

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Man...ice_Manual.pdf
Jack from jacksscootershop might be of assistance as well.

Warney screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 05:28 AM Reason: edited for accuracy
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

Any idea of the bore size? The manual says the 244cc motor has a bore size of 72mm stock? The side of the motor says its a 244cc motor as well. My bore says 80mm on the gauge ****! That size honda doesnt make anymore
Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,603
I've got 89-90 elite 250 manual .. no it's not for sale, but will look up what you need.

_cy_ screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 09:51 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

That would be great help. I need these specifically;

Bore X Stroke
Crank Tolerances (what MM)
Valve Tolerance

Would be extremely helpful before I fork over honda some cash! lol
Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,547
I second running lean is the reason. For more info on the piston join yahoo eltie 250 group . That Randy P the founder will know about the piston if know one else does.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
A lean mixture is a common cause of overheating and engine failure. A hole in the exhaust could also make that worse. Good luck finding parts for a scooter that old, Honda is not known for having parts available for older bikes. Also, if the piston came apart at a fairly high speed, have you checked the cylinder walls? Usually something like that also destroys the cylinder.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

Killed it within about 20ft of when it started to run bad, cylinder wall is already at 79.88mm to 80.01mm so its on its last bore.

Checking Honda, EVERYTHING is available for the motor still! Sweet, no exhaust though, so i have to fix mine somehow.

Crank is still tight and within tolerance, Drained the oil and found no piston pieces or anything attached to a magnet so thats good. Checked my carb boot and its solid, started going through the rest and the automatic choke had a hole in it! Looks like rubbing over the years on the plastic from a metal hanger made a hole,
Old 04-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
Warney
Studly Adventurer

The CH250 Yahoo group has the Honda Common Service manual and the 1989-90 Elite Service manual posted on the start page. The specific answers to your questions are on that website as well.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
Warney
Studly Adventurer

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...062-crankshaft

It appears a new Honda Piston is $64, standard and a couple of oversizes. So much for Honda not being known to have parts for older Bikes.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creation View Post
Killed it within about 20ft of when it started to run bad, cylinder wall is already at 79.88mm to 80.01mm so its on its last bore.

Checking Honda, EVERYTHING is available for the motor still! Sweet, no exhaust though, so i have to fix mine somehow.

Crank is still tight and within tolerance, Drained the oil and found no piston pieces or anything attached to a magnet so thats good. Checked my carb boot and its solid, started going through the rest and the automatic choke had a hole in it! Looks like rubbing over the years on the plastic from a metal hanger made a hole,
Don't see why the common helix china muffler mod will not work on your scooter. Often that s is what end up on it. 80 bucks ebay.

Other have cut the oem muffler up and reused the internal peaces inside to make a new one repacked with new stuff inside. Cut the pipe off and use that to wield the new one to. Google it and it should come up.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 470
You could bring the piston to a Honda dealer and check, but it might be the same as a 2004 reflex. Might be, but it's worth checking out.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
fullmetalscooter

FOund this today Oem elite 1989 250 manual
http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Elit...anual_1989.pdf
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

So I went in a new direction, ordered a reflex top end kit and am using my cylinder that I had for a reflex. It's the same cylinder except larger 249cc bore on the reflex aside from the 244cc bore on the elite and the piston set was cheaper.

No luck to the exhaust... Muffler different design entirely so I'm going to weld my existing after gutting the helix for some stuff.

The reflex head is almost the same except for a extra coolant port. Going to drill out the rollers as well. My parts should be here this week! I'm eager to start the rebuild!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creation View Post
So I went in a new direction, ordered a reflex top end kit and am using my cylinder that I had for a reflex. It's the same cylinder except larger 249cc bore on the reflex aside from the 244cc bore on the elite and the piston set was cheaper.

No luck to the exhaust... Muffler different design entirely so I'm going to weld my existing after gutting the helix for some stuff.

The reflex head is almost the same except for a extra coolant port. Going to drill out the rollers as well. My parts should be here this week! I'm eager to start the rebuild!
if you make it work and last I certain the guys on the elite 250 yahoo group will want to know more about it. Really hope this works for you.