User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
lrholy06 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
xl185s Engine Timing Issue??

Can somebody tell me if I am doing this right???
I have a 1979 xl185s that I just put a new cam chain on. I put the "0" mark on the sprocket all the way up to the top. Which is supposed to be Top Dead Center, right? Then after installing the pulsar rotor I move down to install the flywheel. I put the "F" as close to the mark as I can but of course it gets moved a little bit while I put the cover on and bolt everything down. I then open the small window and manually rotate the pulsar rotor until the "F" lines up with the mark in the window. That should set the timing correctly right? or am I missing something?
Then of course I stand on the bike and pause, hoping desperately that it will start this time. And then the bitter disappointment......
lrholy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
chaddhamilton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrholy06 View Post
Can somebody tell me if I am doing this right???
I have a 1979 xl185s that I just put a new cam chain on. I put the "0" mark on the sprocket all the way up to the top. Which is supposed to be Top Dead Center, right? Then after installing the pulsar rotor I move down to install the flywheel. I put the "F" as close to the mark as I can but of course it gets moved a little bit while I put the cover on and bolt everything down. I then open the small window and manually rotate the pulsar rotor until the "F" lines up with the mark in the window. That should set the timing correctly right? or am I missing something?
Then of course I stand on the bike and pause, hoping desperately that it will start this time. And then the bitter disappointment......
I dunno about the 185, but I have done this on a few xr200s. I don't wanna give you bad info so take this for what it's worth because the 185 may be way different than the 200.

To change the chain on the 200, you have to take the valve cover off. Assuming you have the valve cover off, then the cam goes in with the lobes facing downwards. Then turn the crankshaft counterclockwise until you have the "T" mark lined up with the mark in the case cover. This will be put the piston at top dead center.

Now move the chain sprocket(lifting the chain up to move it incrementally), so that the "O" mark is at the top(or if you have the valve cover on, there is a mark in the cover to index the "O"). Once this is done, the two bolt holes on the sprocket should line up with the cam holes and you put the two bolts in. If your bike is CDI then put your pulse unit back on the shaft and button everything back up. Should fire up.

hope this helps.
chaddhamilton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
lrholy06 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Well I dont know about these "Lobes" that you speak of. And there is no "T" mark. Just an "F" and a "ll". Thats for the advanced timing? So the xr200's must be different.
lrholy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
The lobes he's talking about are the egg shaped protrusions that interact with the rockers to open the valves. They should be pointing down.
You should have a "T" mark on your rotor as well as the "F". If the T mark isn't there, then either someone at the factory screwed up or it has been removed for some reason.
In case you don't know, the T is for Top Dead Center and the F for Fire.

Hope this helps some.