Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Have you looked at the FZ1? Both the FZ bikes make great sport tourers but some people prefer the FZ1 to its smaller brother for 2-up. I know you said they were too expensive but I saw one in your price range that may be what you're looking for and it doesn't need repairs. You may want to buy some bags, but if you're ok with soft ones, itll only cost you an extra $100-ish and they are just throw over so no install needed.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/3760778903.html
A FZ1 is about the same weight as the VFR (if I remember correctly) but it has more power & I don't know if thats a good thing for you or not. It also gets about the same mpg.

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
joshsvoss OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
The VFR sounds like a really good deal to me. The full Givi set and gear would cost $1000 by itself, and could be sold separately if needed. Don't the VFRs normally sell in the $5000 range? It sounds like it is already marked down for the damage, so you should have no problem getting your money back out. .
...Unless I drop it. I fear I'll inevitably drop it as a small light novice rider, and that will total it since I can only find aftermarket fairings for it (http://www.motorcyclefairings.net/HO...2001-Fairings/) And they may not even be painted in the same color. Otherwise the bike seems like a good deal, I'm just dreading the moment I lean it past the moment of no return, especialy with bags and a girl, and BOOM in a second my $3500 investment won't sell for anything.

Is that a realistic fear? Maybe I'm just stressing over my first motorcycle purchase.
joshsvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
joshsvoss OP
Adventurer

Also I looked into the R&G Frame slider for the '98, but I'd have to drill through the fairing, something I'm not confident or skilled enough to do. Could give it to a shop I guess maybe that's worth it.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,857
Your should really consider taking a better look at a weestrom.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #20
joshsvoss OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the tip Flyinace1. I'll take a look though that bike is about an hour and a half away from me.

What big soft bags are that cheap and just "thrown on?"

The VFR deal looks like we're gonna go through with it. Been studying the Clymer's service manual on it and been getting more excited about having one and maintaning it. Seems modern bikes are so good and exciting nearly everyone loves theirs and will tell you it's the best.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsvoss View Post
Is that a realistic fear? Maybe I'm just stressing over my first motorcycle purchase.
Well you didn't say it was your first bike!

The VFR isn't all that heavy. Once you are moving, the weight isn't going to make you any more likely to drop it. Having a low seat height, you aren't as likely to drop it in a parking lot either.

It is a bit more bike than I would typically recommend for a first, but not bad as sport bikes go. This is the bike with the progressive valves, correct? If so, it will be reasonably tame on low rpm, with power coming on very strong at higher revs. That makes for a very controllable bike just starting out. For your uses (2-up road trip) the added power will be welcome. The other good thing about the VFR as a sporty bike is the relatively upright seating position. That will also be very welcome on a road trip.

I haven't owned one myself, but my boss does. I have been drooling over his stunning red VFR in the parking lot for years. If I was in the market for a daily driver sport bike, the VFR would be it.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #22
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,544
V strom is about as cheap,efficient,and reliable as you can get,throw some junk on it load both of you up and never worry about a thing.Take the minimum stuff you possibly can.Im not sure how wide spread the deal is but Suzuki has a 5 year no interest deal going on new bikes,my local dealer can't keep 650 Stroms on the floor.All the bikes spoken of so far are very good,but the Strom is the 2 door Toyota Corolla of the motorcycle world.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
8lives
Runnin on wonder

My son showed up with a late 90's VFR 800,it was really comfortable and I could see myself making long miles on that bike,and the thing sounded so bad ass,no cam chain I believe and it just sounded like a jet humming.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Have you taken the MSF course? Recommended if you haven't.

I hope you're planning to put some miles in before loading up with luggage and passenger for a trip. Having the extra weight of both on the back adds significantly to the challenges for a new rider - or any rider for that matter. Suggest you get some good solo rides in before taking your passenger out, and take your passenger with luggage on day rides before heading out on a major roadtrip.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #25
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post

I hope you're planning to put some miles in before loading up with luggage and passenger for a trip. Having the extra weight of both on the back adds significantly to the challenges for a new rider - or any rider for that matter. Suggest you get some good solo rides in before taking your passenger out, and take your passenger with luggage on day rides before heading out on a major roadtrip.
+1

I have been riding street for about 20 years, and am pretty tired after about 5 hours 2-up. I can go all day solo. The sportier the bike, the more your passenger will be leaning on you, especially while braking.

My wife likes to stop for a bathroom break about every 1.5 hours, which helps delay fatigue. In my case, I need fuel about that often anyway.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post

Agreed
I was under the impression you were just moving up from a smaller bike, but if this is your 1st bike they aren't exactly the best beginner bikes. Also DO NOT ride 2-up before you are comfortable with the bike and your own ability. I did 30,000 miles when I started on my 1st bike before I let my girlfriend on the back, not saying you need that much, but some solo trips with the bike loaded up will really help you get better

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
AS othrs have said, get some seat time on your bike before hauling a passenger. i've been riding since 78 and i've never ridden my wife until i had at least 500 miles on the bike. you also have to 'teach' your passenger how to ride 'with you'. a wiggly passenger won't work...and a terrified passenger won't work either. it's all on you!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #28
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Ya you don't want to have to fly her home from Fort Bragg cause she is scared,I used to ocean sail and I use Fort Bragg as an example,people would sail into there after having the Ocean beat the snot outta them,boats are cheap in Hawaii for the same reason,and just put the boat up for sale,Neptune is brutal and motorcycles are only fun if you want to be involved.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #29
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

OK, we don't want to scare the new guy away. This is Cali, not the Arctic Circle.

What about the OP's other question: what to pack?

I would advise against "generous luggage". You only need about 2-3 shirts, 1 pair of pants, 2 underwear, and 2 pairs of socks. Wearing spandex bike shorts instead of underwear while riding will be much more comfortable since they don't wrinkle under your pants. If you choose your materials wisely, they can be washed and dried in the evenings in a motel room. As soon as you check in, wash them (bring a small bottle of laundry detergent in a ziplock bag), ring them out, and hang them in the shower. Then go out on the town.

You'll want a pair of long underwear and warm riding jacket for coastal or mountain weather. Best thing is to just wear your fall/winter gear and leave the mesh behind. A mesh set of gloves might be a good idea, though, and won't take up too much room. Definitely bring a pair of walking shoes that don't take too much space. Changing out of your riding boots at end of day will be nice. Some prefer canvas shoes like Vans, I like my closed toe sandals.

I always carry some sealed snacks to get me by for those times where the breakfast restaurant is an hour away. Oatmeal Raisin Slim Fast Bars are pretty tasty, and have quite a few calories. Tiger's Milk, Cliff, or other bars work good too. You will also need at least 2 liters of water.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #30
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Sorry don't mean to be to far out.Yes travel like a couple of giggly teenagers,take little,travel with few plans except perhaps when you need to return.I think traveling 2 up on a motorcycle should be a basic adventure,it can return us older people into what we we were before we got so wrapped up in life,by all means try to allow this to become your summer of rediscovery,let the RV crowd take all their stuff,you only need your soul on 2 wheels!