ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
BaseCamp Address Searching

So, I plugged in an address for a town hall and senior center that was holding a class I wanted to attend. Here is the address, try it!

135 School St., Walpole, MA 02032

BaseCamp sends me to VT!!!!

After much hopping around and gnashing of teeth, I discovered that BaseCamp would only find the correct place if I put the address in this way:

135 School St., Walpole Twn, MA 02032

How idiotic is that? How can one know whether Twn is needed or not?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
try it!
135 School St., Walpole, MA 02032
I did. BC seemed to work fine. It didn't send me to VT.

BC displayed '135 School St., Walpole Twn, MA 02032' at the top of the search list.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
I did. BC seemed to work fine. It didn't send me to VT.

BC displayed '135 School St., Walpole Twn, MA 02032' at the top of the search list.

daryl
Really? It sends me to Westminster VT!

What on earth am I doing wrong?

Give me a minute and I'll upload a pic of my results. Maybe you or someone can point out the error in my ways.

ETA: Ok, here is what I get:

Emoto screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 05:57 AM
Old 04-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

So... upon further poking around...

If on the main menu along the top of BaseCamp, I choose FIND > FIND OPTIONS

Then, over on the right hand side of the screen, I select the radio button for Addresses:

And then, start to type the town name into the text box, a list of available towns will appear, and I can choose one by clicking on it:

With the town selected as shown above, if I enter the number and street in the top text box, I can then hit the search icon, and I will get the correct results!

Correct result:

So... to summarize, putting the full address in the search box fails to return the correct result, unless you know to put "TWN" in the text box after the town name. Not every town requires this. OTOH, if you build your search under find options > addresses, you can choose the town and see if it has (needs) a TWN or not, then add the rest of the street address above, and voila, good result.

How far from intuitive can they possibly make things?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Considering that BaseCamp doesn't have a very large array of computers with Natural Language Search capabilities, I think it does OK with the map data it has to work with - it can and will get better in v4.2. But, as you have discovered, the best way to use search in BaseCamp is to start your search with minimal info in the search field along with narrowing your search objective (Addresses for example) is the most productive. Remember, BaseCamp isn't going to know what you "meant". It only knows what you type and then tries to find the match in the map data.

The more info you give BC to look for [an exact match] the lower the odds of finding it if there is an error in your search string - like TWN. Oh, and remember that the data in the map may not be correct - or the way the locals write it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Considering that BaseCamp doesn't have a very large array of computers with Natural Language Search capabilities, I think it does OK with the map data it has to work with - it can and will get better in v4.2. But, as you have discovered, the best way to use search in BaseCamp is to start your search with minimal info in the search field along with narrowing your search objective (Addresses for example) is the most productive. Remember, BaseCamp isn't going to know what you "meant". It only knows what you type and then tries to find the match in the map data.

The more info you give BC to look for [an exact match] the lower the odds of finding it if there is an error in your search string - like TWN. Oh, and remember that the data in the map may not be correct - or the way the locals write it.

Cheers,
I guess I was fooled by the nice big search box that looked just right for a complete address.

Silly me.

The "Twn" thing is somewhat baffling to me. I suspect that it is an artifact of Navtech (sp?) map data that is not being handled gracefully. Having seen a few places on the Garmin maps where Twn follows the town name when it is not used in real life, it would seem like they ought to do a little mapping or defines work in the BaseCamp db so that Twn can be a separate field in the name that is optional.

Now that I have figured out how to do a search it is no longer problematic, but Garmin should really get their DBAs to classify this type of data element in such a way as to make it not a show stopper when searching. It can be done.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
How far from intuitive can they possibly make things?
That seems to be the way for any search; the more data you put in, the less likely it is to find it. When I was in IT, I often had people complain that when they used an online staff directory, and put in a whole persons name and other search criteria, they never found the person. I had to tell them to enter only enough information to make the search fairly unique, to cut down on false positives...

But often the less you put in, the better.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That seems to be the way for any search; the more data you put in, the less likely it is to find it. When I was in IT, I often had people complain that when they used an online staff directory, and put in a whole persons name and other search criteria, they never found the person. I had to tell them to enter only enough information to make the search fairly unique, to cut down on false positives...

But often the less you put in, the better.
It is certainly a process getting to know how to use BaseCamp effectively. I note that in MapSource, it forces you to build an address search piece by piece, therefore sidestepping the problem.

IMO, the problem I ran into is the pesky "Twn" appended to some town names but not others. Again, "135 School St., Walpole, MA 02032" fails to find that place, but "135 School St., Walpole Twn, MA 02032" finds the correct place.

I brought this up in the Garmin forums and it seems to have gotten some interest. I don't know the players over there well enough to know who is really connected to Garmin, but I did get a response from someone saying he thought "we could fix it" so maybe that will happen.

At any rate,at least now I know how to search effectively, and I hope this thread might help someone else who is scratching their head.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,114
The only way to get this and many other problems solved are to put our hopes in Google.

There needs to be a competitive platform. Basecamp sucks and there is no incentive for Garmin to improve it.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
The only way to get this and many other problems solved are to put our hopes in Google.

There needs to be a competitive platform. Basecamp sucks and there is no incentive for Garmin to improve it.
Put my hopes in Google? Now that's funny...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Put my hopes in Google? Now that's funny...
I suppose you don't believe in Santa Claus too?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 757
I don't know about putting my hopes in Google, but I gave up on BC after a few tries to find locations. I doubt if Garmin will ever have the database that Google has. I think the best plan is learn how to integrate the two or just use google and then transfer the route to the GPS in BC.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I don't know about putting my hopes in Google, but I gave up on BC after a few tries to find locations. I doubt if Garmin will ever have the database that Google has. I think the best plan is learn how to integrate the two or just use google and then transfer the route to the GPS in BC.
If you do it like I outlined above, it works fine. Mind you, I am not calling it wonderful, but it does work.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Keep in mind that BaseCamp currently only searches the data coded in the Map you have active. But, the latest BaseCamp beta for version 4.2 does have a Yelp! search that goes outside the map data (if you are connected to the 'net) and your map is address search capable. In addition, once you've found that POI you're interested in you can create a Waypoint of it - just like a Google search! Of course it is limited to Yelp! search algorithms but at least it's a start.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Keep in mind that BaseCamp currently only searches the data coded in the Map you have active. But, the latest BaseCamp beta for version 4.2 does have a Yelp! search that goes outside the map data (if you are connected to the 'net) and your map is address search capable. In addition, once you've found that POI you're interested in you can create a Waypoint of it - just like a Google search! Of course it is limited to Yelp! search algorithms but at least it's a start.
They chose Yelp?

I guess Webcrawler didn't pick up the phone?