User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Vstrom question?

I see that the Suzuki V-Strom is a popular bike here. From it's appearance it doesn't look more offroad worthy than other standard style bikes. What makes it good for offroad duty? Please forgive my ignorance.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,824
Simply put it's about Dakar ready as a Honda CRV is Camel Trophy ready.

It's mostly a styling excersize. But as a real world machine, for most ROADS paved or unpaved but groomed
It's great.
Not unlike the Rav4, CRV, Outbacks.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
CanadianTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
It's not that good for off road duty really, but some will venture there anyway... It's real allure is that it is cheap to buy, cheap to run and stone dead reliable...
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 78
European award

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weestrom :
"The V-Strom 650 was named one of the "ten best" bikes under $10,000 by Motorcyclist (USA) magazine, October, 2007—beating out, among many others, the V-Strom 1000. In a September 2006 article, Cycle World magazine wrote "the DL650 may just be the most shockingly competent machine in the world today."[12] A 2004 article from MotorcycleUSA.com said "it was hard to imagine another machine with a competitive versatility-per-dollar ratio."[8] Twice consecutively, the DL650 has earned the title "Alpenkoenig", winning German Motorrad magazine's trans-alp multi-bike test in 2005 and 2006.[13]

"At the DL650's launch, noted motorcycle journalist Kevin Ash said "taking everything into account - price, comfort, fuel range, general ability, you could argue it was the bike of the year,"[14] adding, "there's something honest and solid about the V-Strom."[14] Having ridden a DL650 as his daily rider, in 2005 Ash called it the "best bike you can buy."[2] Ash complemented the bike's comfort, fuel range, engine and handling, faulting its brakes and corrosion resistance[2] — and further describing the bike as "perhaps the ultimate all-round machine." At the launch of the revised 2012 model, Ash noted that the previous generation, which could be very vulnerable to corrosion, had "been left behind, especially by direct rival, the Kawasaki Versys."[15] After the release of the 2012 model, Ash placed the Vstrom ahead of the Versys.[15]"

Maybe a poor man's GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I see that the Suzuki V-Strom is a popular bike here. From it's appearance it doesn't look more offroad worthy than other standard style bikes. What makes it good for offroad duty? Please forgive my ignorance.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
It's not.
It isn't.
It's okay.

A better question would be, "I ride (explain the type of riding you do) would a v-strom be a good bike for that?"

I had a new DL1000 in 2002.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,383
Quote:
It doesn't look offroad capable but the 19" front wheel makes it more bearable on dirt roads than a sports bike with a 17".
With some suspension work it's quite good on dirt roads.

If you want a real dirt bike, a DL isn't it, but if you just want to go exploring and it looks like there's a road there, not necessarilly a sealed one, it's fairly good.

One of the more reliable bikes of it's type, one of the least expensive - and unless you have an unlimitted budget, taking a bike you can afford to damage down a dirt road is a lot easier than taking one that was a stretch financially. So, personally I think I've had more fun on DL's than I would have had on the more expensive equivalents because of the big 'don't give a damn' factor.

Pete

PeterW screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 04:31 AM
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #7
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,470
As an owner of an 02DL1000 I can tell you from personnel experience this is not a "dirt bike" by any exaggeration of the facts. As others have posted it has some good attributes that make it more suitable for off road riding than a normal sport bike.

There's a hole aftermarket developed specifically for Stroms to adapt it to the off road segment. Yet most people know that if you truly want to start taking a Strom off road your need to rework front & rear suspension and add lots of protection to the bike.. It still weighs over 400+lbs.

We all like to see just how off road capable our bikes can be. For me the Strom is my cheap mans GS. Not even in the same league as say a 950 super Enduro or HP2.

But yea. I've said it before and will stand by my word "I'll take my Strom any where a GS Will Go"! And. For a lot less money!
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
What made me ask the question was reading of some people planning trips to Mexico on a V-Strom. I may have even read of someone using one for the TAT.

Keithert screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 06:57 AM
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
What made me ask the question was reading of some people planning trips to Mexico on a V-Strom. I may have even read of someone using one for the TAT.

For baja offroad, 650 or smaller dirtbikes are the norm. Unless you're riding the hiway.

For cross-continent the strom is fine, again, mostly hiway work.

Anyone that rode one on the TAT is going to come back and say, "never again". The bike is a beast offroad.

I have a Tiger XC, and even though it has more suspension and a 21" front, it's still a f'ing beast. Dirt roads are fine, but trails are for real dirtbikes.

Even some of the places they CAN go doesn't mean it's fun. And the cost factor is there. My XC is stoopid expensive if you dump it and tear shit up. I'm too old to dump bikes. They stay up on two wheels....ALWAYS.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
It doesn't look offroad capable but the 19" front wheel makes it more bearable on dirt roads than a sports bike with a 17".
With some suspension work it's quite good on dirt roads.

If you want a real dirt bike, a DL isn't it, but if you just want to go exploring and it looks like there's a road there, not necessarilly a sealed one, it's fairly good.

One of the more reliable bikes of it's type, one of the least expensive - and unless you have an unlimitted budget, taking a bike you can afford to damage down a dirt road is a lot easier than taking one that was a stretch financially. So, personally I think I've had more fun on DL's than I would have had on the more expensive equivalents because of the big 'don't give a damn' factor.

Pete
+1, Pete nailed it. The 19" front is huge as they roll easier. Suspension upgrades will transform a DL (like a lot of other bikes as well) to a very good ADV bike from a wannabe that gets the job done adequately.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,598
up yes, down is ..

look, we've all been through this a zillion times.
the weestrom [not the v-strom] is a better bike off-pavement than most of us are off-pavement as pilots.
but the surface one rides it over has to be relatively tame - if you ride it on perpendicular washboard with big edges, its painful.

i can curb-hop with a DR650 and no drama. I cannot curb-hop the dl without drama.

Uphill, if you have some dirty skills, it can be a very surprisingly competent goat. Downhill in the loose stuff, I do not have the skills to be 'relaxed'
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
Ixxioixxl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I got a 2012 V-Strom 650 last spring and put ~8500 miles on last year in the Midwest. It's my first bike so I don't have a good comparison but out of the box it was kinda rough sometimes even on poorly maintained dirt roads. At 5'7" it was hard to touch the ground though stopped in squishy stuff so that might have had part to do with it. But, after I got some of those Heidenau K60s, skid plate(Yanns, not that plastic junk),crash bars, and lowered it 3/4" toward the end of the season I was going on tame ATV trails up north okay. I wouldn't consider it a great bike for trails though, it is heavy as hell compared to a little 200 dirt bike. Really good for touring around where you will end up on dirt roads/forest roads/crappy washed out river roads/ect. and still want to have full luggage set including camping/fishing stuff with you 300 miles from home. The new tires really changed the bike a ton, I'm taking turns on dirt much faster and having more fun. No regrets on the V-Strom for me
Ixxioixxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Simply put it's about Dakar ready as a Honda CRV is Camel Trophy ready.

It's mostly a styling excersize. But as a real world machine, for most ROADS paved or unpaved but groomed
It's great.
Not unlike the Rav4, CRV, Outbacks.
lol nice comparison! ;)
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I have a '12 vstrom and have no offroad experience. I can't say that it gives me the warm and fussies when I take it off pavement for even a very short time. I'm sure a tire with knobbies would help, but I just wouldn't chose this bike if I were planning on a lot of off road. You want the drz400
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTiger View Post
It's not that good for off road duty really, but some will venture there anyway... It's real allure is that it is cheap to buy, cheap to run and stone dead reliable...
So well put:
/Thread closed

As one who has had to beat a V-Strom wheel back into shape so it would hold air, I can attest that they are fine on gravel roads, not so good on trails. The 1000 I owned had a crap suspension and the 650 is even worse.

Go find a Dakar or a Sertao or a Husky Terra or something with 50 or so HP if you want to try and do 100's of miles a day and still ride a trail or two.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote