ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #31
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hardware02's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Rock
Oddometer: 3,096
__________________
"These instructions are at our present level of
knowledge. Legal requirements do not exist.
Technical issues subject to change."
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #32
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer
 
WVhillbilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 8,684
The mini trucks are awesome, and go for $5-6K here.
I've heard parts can be hard to find for some models tho.

The side by sides I looked at started at $14K.
Samurais are getting harder to find, and more expensive.

Most Jeeps you see for sale are horribly overpriced.

I'd still look for a Tracker, unless you just want a new side by side.
The Gators are great for a utility model, but not very fast.

I had a Ranger 6x6, it was long and awkward for what I wanted to do with it.
And then the transmission locked up. New ones are supposed to be much better.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #33
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer
 
tkitna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 4,610
I've never understood the appeal to side by sides unless your wanting to drink all day while you ride around. My neighbor owns a farm and bought a Gator. Says it was the biggest waste of money he ever spent. Everytime he goes out to fix something like fence or whatever, he finds himself putting all the equipment in his truck and driving since it carries more and has heat in the winter. If I was spending 10 to 20 grand on a side by side, I would buy a used truck.
__________________
Donovan: If he (Paul McCartney) fell on the piano, by the time he picked himself up he would have written three songs.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #34
harlie75
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
I've never understood the appeal to side by sides unless your wanting to drink all day while you ride around. My neighbor owns a farm and bought a Gator. Says it was the biggest waste of money he ever spent. Everytime he goes out to fix something like fence or whatever, he finds himself putting all the equipment in his truck and driving since it carries more and has heat in the winter. If I was spending 10 to 20 grand on a side by side, I would buy a used truck.
A truck cannot do what one of these can and conversely. Totally different applications. I can haul 600 pounds of fencing material in the Ranger and unless you're going to build a half mile of fence without stopping that will easily cover it. I don't think a lot of fencing occurs in the winter either but if you really want comfort, throw a canvas cab on it. I say BS!
harlie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #35
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low
 
flyinfuzz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: At the bottom of the stairs
Oddometer: 1,750
We use ours on a 1000 acre cattle farm . Fencing, checking cows , pulling feeders . It goes places I wouldn't take my truck . Less $ per hour to run ,easier to get out to open gates as Wife vetoed my getting a pretty young thang to open gates for me.
__________________
Cotton says : This is as screwed up as a rope with 3 ends
flyinfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #36
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer
 
tkitna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlie75 View Post
A truck cannot do what one of these can and conversely. Totally different applications. I can haul 600 pounds of fencing material in the Ranger and unless you're going to build a half mile of fence without stopping that will easily cover it. I don't think a lot of fencing occurs in the winter either but if you really want comfort, throw a canvas cab on it. I say BS!
Thats awesome you can haul 600 pounds with your side by side. Gee, wish a truck could haul that much. Oh wait. Anyways, i'm sorry that you took the fencing and winter examples so literally. The only BS is trying to defend an actual purpose for these machines unless your hauling a wife around that doesn't ride and you need more room for your cooler and cup holders.
__________________
Donovan: If he (Paul McCartney) fell on the piano, by the time he picked himself up he would have written three songs.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #37
harlie75
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
Thats awesome you can haul 600 pounds with your side by side. Gee, wish a truck could haul that much. Oh wait. Anyways, i'm sorry that you took the fencing and winter examples so literally. The only BS is trying to defend an actual purpose for these machines unless your hauling a wife around that doesn't ride and you need more room for your cooler and cup holders.

Sheesh, that's the best you can do?
harlie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #38
Range Motorsport
Junk collector
 
Range Motorsport's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Da UP Eh!
Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
Had a Subaru Sambar years ago at work and drove the snot out of that thing, the down fall was parts availability and it was a RHD 5 spd stick. Automatics are just easier for everyone to operate.


__________________
2007 KTM Superduke
SNL Will Ferrell Yoga, google it.
www.adventuremine.com
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #39
bigsnowdog OP
Sylvan Dweller
 
bigsnowdog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Oddometer: 18,908
I have a truck, a 3/4 ton 4X4. It's way too big for what I want to do. The side by side device would allow me to take a friend to ride around in the trees. The Samurai, Tracker, mini truck, all that, is too big, too tall, geared too high, just wrong for my purpose.

I have 15 acres of trees that I planted. Some spaces are narrow. These various trucks are too big. My limited ability to walk and move means it needs to be easy to get in and out of. Imagine going for a pleasure ride. I am not going to do that in a snowstorm or on a hard-cold winter day. I don't believe I want a top, though I am uncertain on that.

My interest is in side by side ATV's. I am in a forced retirement for medical reasons. I want to have a nice ride and a nice day.
__________________
2002 GS1150 ADV
Hepco Becker bags
Piaa 959 & 910

NRA life


"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #40
harlie75
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 76
I'm with you snowdog. I have several pickups and they are great for their intended purpose but you just can't beat one of these side by sides for all around utility in a designated area. Step overs are great for spirited recreation but far more dangerous and limited in use. Try hauling something fairly large on one without tying it down, a real pain. I would look at something like a mid-size Polaris and you can save some money and the ride is extremely nice. Tops can be added later. Good luck.
harlie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #41
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer
 
Pappy541's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 784
I have a small farm. run cows hunt and all the things that go with it. 2 years ago I needed to replace my 16 year old Yamaha big bear 4 wheeler. I decided I wanted to get a side by side. Every body under the sun makes them and to be honest most are probably good. I however had specific requirements. Had to have some sport to it, had to have a bench seat( so I can ride the grand kids and I did not want the monster sized rig or a monster price. The only one that met those was the ranger 500 mid size by Polaris. Fantastic purchase!!! That thing will run trails with easy and will keep up. It hauls and tows and after I added a middle seat belt is perfect for hauling 2 adults & 1 grand kid. Me and or my wife use it almost every day and is much better and fun that using the pickup. One caution is that many of the ones out there are more work orientated with all the fun left out. The ranger mid size does it all at a below $10g price.
No this is not an add, just a happy owner that works my ranger and hauls it to several national known trails like brimstone, Durhamtown, hatfield.

Pappy541 screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 09:26 AM
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #42
MGB
ex. BmwDuc
 
MGB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Hampton and Forks of Buffalo, VA
Oddometer: 1,863
This sums it up for me and why I have a side by side

38 wooded acres with hilly terrain, I'd have to abuse my truck and the forest to get my truck anywhere.

You know what you need, you just have a lot of choices!

Nice Avatar and username by the way......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
I have a truck, a 3/4 ton 4X4. It's way too big for what I want to do. The side by side device would allow me to take a friend to ride around in the trees. The Samurai, Tracker, mini truck, all that, is too big, too tall, geared too high, just wrong for my purpose.

I have 15 acres of trees that I planted. Some spaces are narrow. These various trucks are too big. My limited ability to walk and move means it needs to be easy to get in and out of. Imagine going for a pleasure ride. I am not going to do that in a snowstorm or on a hard-cold winter day. I don't believe I want a top, though I am uncertain on that.

My interest is in side by side ATV's. I am in a forced retirement for medical reasons. I want to have a nice ride and a nice day.
__________________
1. "The more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs" Anonymous
2. Life is not a dress rehearsal.
MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #43
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer
 
Pappy541's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
I've never understood the appeal to side by sides unless your wanting to drink all day while you ride around. My neighbor owns a farm and bought a Gator. Says it was the biggest waste of money he ever spent. Everytime he goes out to fix something like fence or whatever, he finds himself putting all the equipment in his truck and driving since it carries more and has heat in the winter. If I was spending 10 to 20 grand on a side by side, I would buy a used truck.
----------------
Do not understand your thinking, why the drinking remark. If you and or your neighbor do not like Side x Sides great. However they are the fastest growing market for OHV for a reason. At times my pickup may sit on the carport for weeks. The My ranger is a great work machine and is great on the trails and for hunting. The list is end list and if I was in the truck I would leave a mess. In the yard the ranger even has 1 wheel drive so it will not tear up the yard while doing yard work. It will not replace a truck but it sure makes work easier while providing fun rides.
Buy and use what you like but snide remarks are not helpful.
JMHO
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #44
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer
 
tkitna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy541 View Post
----------------
Do not understand your thinking, why the drinking remark. If you and or your neighbor do not like Side x Sides great. However they are the fastest growing market for OHV for a reason. At times my pickup may sit on the carport for weeks. The My ranger is a great work machine and is great on the trails and for hunting. The list is end list and if I was in the truck I would leave a mess. In the yard the ranger even has 1 wheel drive so it will not tear up the yard while doing yard work. It will not replace a truck but it sure makes work easier while providing fun rides.
Buy and use what you like but snide remarks are not helpful.
JMHO
Probably the fact that every time I take my wife and kids riding on the trails, we're risking our lives because there's a drunk on a side by side around every corner. They've already made 4 wheelers dumb proof so that anybody can ride them (they are all practically automatics now) and now you have people with no business riding out on trails with freaking machines almost the size of a jeep. Thats my bitch. My neighbor who owns the farm just never uses his, so he said it was a wasted purchase in his eyes. I got called a liar for saying that for some reason. Use what you want, but I just dont see the purpose.
__________________
Donovan: If he (Paul McCartney) fell on the piano, by the time he picked himself up he would have written three songs.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #45
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: New England
Oddometer: 7,016
Around here the prices are such that you can get either a Jeep with 120K miles on it or a brand new side by side UTV for around $10K. Anything old that has been used on the road is rotted out badly so for utility work on a property I think a side by side would make an excellent choice.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014