User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
goodspark OP
Baja Rider

Oddometer: 29
Cool2 dirt friendly tire selection

I'm used to pure offroad, and run desert non DOT knobbies. I can destroy a rear tire in 2 decent multi-day trips. I'm doing more adv style rides and want to consider a more DS type tire, with adequate dirt manners. (KTM rfs)

Suggestions? Thanks
goodspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,625
If you can get a Kenda K270 in your sizes, you cannot go wrong. I run those in wicked desert terrain that constantly changes from nasty rock beds to sand as soft as flour. And I commute everyday on them too.

They're should be quite a selection of tires, all dependent on riding styles, time on road vs off road and such. others should chime in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,669
I really like Kings tires on my KTM 640 Adventure.

The have excellent traction, and last a really long time.

These are super stiff tires, and can be a real bear to mount by hand.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=10010
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
goodspark OP
Baja Rider

Oddometer: 29
The 525 calls for 120/100-18, but I'm running a 110 now. The 120 maxxis rubbed a little and more $ for little gain, can't tell the difference.
goodspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
TheHoff
Don't Hassle Him

Oddometer: 32
The Dunlop D606 is a popular choice if you prioritize dirt performance. IIRC they're listed as a 90/10 dirt/street tire. They're not great if you want to rail corners on slab, but they are terrific in anything from mud to sand to dry trails. I've used them on several Moab trips and have been very pleased with them, both front and rear.

I've never chunked off a knob and they seem to last quite while.
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
I used the Kenda for a 1200 OBCDR ride, 90% offroad, it held up fine but was 75% used up at the end.

I've used a trials tire on a Baja trip on the 530 and will be trying an IRC on the 690, they really do work well in almost everything.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
trials tire in back and a pirelli XCMH on the front.

fwiw: my experience with a few different tires...

pirelli XCMH front: it's the best tire ever made. ;) seriously, though, it's the best DOT dirt tire ever made. it handles in dirt like a real dirt tire, lasts twice as long as the dunlop 606 front, handles nearly as well as the 606 front on pavement.

pirelli XCMH rear: it's a pretty decent dirt tire. better in dirt than the 606 rear--about the same in dry, hard packed dirt, but significantly better in mud and loose stuff. not as good as a new kenda trakmaster II. it wears about the same as a 606 rear and handles about the same on pavement.

dunlop 606 front: terrible dirt tire. good handling street tire. cups badly and wears out twice as fast the XCMH front.

dunlop 606 rear: very similar to the the XCMH rear on pavement and as far as how long it lasts. a decent dirt tire in hard packed, dry conditions. pretty bad in mud. not so great in loose stuff.

kenda trakmaster II front: it might be the worst tire ever made. ;) seriously, though, it's a pretty bad tire all around. the tread pattern is the same as the rear...which is a great rear tread pattern for dirt, but makes no sense on a front tire. it washes out a lot in dirt. doesn't handle pavement well either. doesn't last nearly as long as the XCMH front.

kenda trakmaster II rear: the best rear DOT knobby in the dirt by a good margin....wayyyyyy better than the 606 or XCMH in mud and loose dirt and somewhat better in hard packed, dry dirt. but, they wear out really, really fast on pavement. so not a good choice for what you want to do.

then you have the more street-orient tires like the kenda 270. they're not really a dirt tire and do not perform nearly as well as any of the above in dirt--especially mud or loose dirt--but last a lot longer than any of the above and handle on pavement very well (at least on dry pavement...they kinda suck in the rain, imho.) shinko makes a copy, the 244, that works just as well and doesn't suck as bad in the rain and costs less.

another way to get good rear tire performance in most types of dirt, rocks, roots, etc. and get a lot of wear is to run a trials tire in the back and just air way down for the dirt and back up on the street.

LittleRedToyota screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 08:18 PM
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoff View Post
The Dunlop D606 is a popular choice if you prioritize dirt performance. IIRC they're listed as a 90/10 dirt/street tire. They're not great if you want to rail corners on slab, but they are terrific in anything from mud to sand to dry trails. I've used them on several Moab trips and have been very pleased with them, both front and rear.

I've never chunked off a knob and they seem to last quite while.
+1

I've got them front and back on my 08 KLR, and I love them. they seem to wear like iron, and I have no problems railing corners on slab - scraped the pegs today!

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
The Kenda K270 rear can last a long time and it handles decently on pavement. Some people report over 10K miles on K270 rears, but they may not be running it as hard. The front K270 isn't as well-liked for cornering on pavement, as the side lugs squirm when leaned over. You'll probably also want a more aggressive tire up front offroad anyway, as lateral traction is lacking offroad in the soft stuff with anything less than a full-on knobby. Lateral traction isn't as critical in the rear offroad, but it's really needed in the front. I'd continue to run an aggressive desert knob up front, or try the XCMH. Front knobs don't typically wear as fast as rears.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote