User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
lowriderglen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Rear Brake

I also have an 06' and had the same problem. Pull the rear pads and glass bead them. They are glazed over. Cheap fix. I love this bike and yes it has a good power to weight ratio.
lowriderglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 185
Congrats, you will enjoy it. A bit warm in FL summers but what bike isn't? The BMW K75 I used to own was just as hot. Rear brakes are ok, you can lock them up if you work at it. I use mine when coming to a stop then add a bit of front if I need it.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Congrats, it's a hell of a bike. I horse-traded (my Vstar) for my Uly, too. They had some factory issues, but once they're sorted out the bike should be reliable and low maintenance; no valve adjusts, no throttle body syncs, no chain to lube, no coolant to flush, one brake in the front.

The rear on my '06 feels pretty wooden but it will definitely slow the bike down on its own if you give it some pressure. If it doesn't and you have plenty of pad material, check the pads for glazing as previously mentioned.

Front brake will stop it in a hurry, I've managed to do a couple surprise stoppies with mine. I run the Braking CM-55 semi-metallic street/sport pad and I flushed the brake fluid when I put them on last spring. Bike stops great, good feel in the lever.

The lever is adjustable, too - might look at that. I set mine softer to give me more room to modulate.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #19
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 529
I have just replaced the factory nisin pads with ebc double sintered hh and braking has significantly improved.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Floridalawdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thanks everyone. As I get used to the brakes, they aren't that bad. I had to change my voltage regulator. It was over charging the battery, causing bulbs to blow, and the battery to shut down. Its running perfect now, and I get like a little kid every time I start it. It is such a fun bike to ride.
Floridalawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #21
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 932
How's your uly working? Great bike. Anything you miss on your klr? I am in Florida now with my family. I love this state!

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #22
Algarve Nick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I have a 2006 Uly, first registered in Feb 2008 in England. Now I live in Portugal and my bike is waiting Portuguese plates. I have a Suzuki B-King but I think I prefer the Uly. It's all in the handling and the Uly is fast enough. The King is too much. I also think the Uly is the best-looking bike on the road and such good value.
Algarve Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 675
Phrase of the day

I am shocked at the performance this thing has. Now, I am coming from a KLR, so it could be me. Glad my mouth wasn't full!

Cool sounding and looking bike . Some seem to love them , I would be more likely to own one now that HD is less involved .

I think it's a chocolate versus vanilla thing, some do ,some it's just as well.
Regards,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridalawdog View Post
Thanks everyone. As I get used to the brakes, they aren't that bad. I had to change my voltage regulator. It was over charging the battery, causing bulbs to blow, and the battery to shut down. Its running perfect now, and I get like a little kid every time I start it. It is such a fun bike to ride.

Make sure you check out the 77 connector, they are known to have problems and burn causing VR failure.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #25
Floridalawdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
It ended up being a fried stator, that was frying my VRs. So, both parts are on order, the bike is still down, and I am going crazy with nothing to ride. I agree, that it is one of the coolest looking bikes. Its kind of James Bond or something sinister. Hopefully HD calls me tomorrow and tells me my parts came in.
Floridalawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 706
Just in case the dealership screws you, call American Sportbike. Al and Joanne will take care of you and they speak fluent Buell.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
Just in case the dealership screws you, call American Sportbike. Al and Joanne will take care of you and they speak fluent Buell.
I was just about to make that point......

http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/index.php

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #28
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTiger View Post
Wait to you get a taste of it's reliability...
42,000 + on mine and runs great. Even still running original belt
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #29
bienhoabob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I put 55,000 miles on my '06 before I got rid of it.

Good: motor and trans never missed a beat.

What to watch for: Remove the air filter housing and wires are just laying on top of cylinder heads. Rear spark plug wire resting inbetween cylinders. get some tie wraps and hang the wires away from the heat.

Fuel pump in frame has loose wires. Over time the insulation will rub off, and fuel pump will short out. Happened to me at 3 in the morning, 200 miles from home. Pump assembly was updated either in '07 or '08.

There is a kink in the wiring harness around the steering. Again, over time wires will break in harness. Lots of reports of the factory solder points breaking. (made in Mexico).

Lots of reports concerning grounding of battery to frame point. Should have metal to metal contact, not metal to paint contact.

Watch rear bearings. If rear wheel is over torqued, bearings will fail early. I think HD's are torqued around 75 lbs, Buell 55 lbs.

I never had trouble with the 77 connector or stator, but other people have. Something to watch or replace.

As mentioned before, check out badweatherbikers and American sportbike.

Have fun,

Bob
bienhoabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #30
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Got 49k on mine. I am prepping it for a ride to San Antonio/Austin and back starting June 8th.

... by "prepping" I mean I still need to change my oil and mount my pannier boxes to the racks. New belt is en route. Going on this trip with two Ulys - a spare might come in handy.

unlucky1 screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 01:42 PM
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote