Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
DirtyOldMan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Mapsource topo database question

i guess I have a cave man version (3.02). It came with my old etrex unit purchased 2001ish. I've been using it in a 60csx.

I like being able to see the natl. forests outlined in green, helps me keep from trespassing. This weekend I noticed a discrepancy, (southern MO, Mark Twain natl forest.) Got home and compared it to a Park Service map on line and my database is missing most of the MO natl forests.

Did the mapsource updates through Garmin but I don't think that will do anything for the database. I'm just now able to grasp the difference between the Mapsource "program" and the Topo "database" so please bear with me.

I see that there is a 2008 version available, $70 bucks through campmor.
Don't mind spending the dough if it's truly better.

So I guess after all this drivel my question is, has Garmin made any appreciable improvements in the database? And is 2008 the latest version?

Thank You

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
If you ride national forests, the real missing data is the results of Travel Management Plans which designated which routes ore open to vehicles. I think it will be a couple of years before good maps (topo or City Nav) which show legal routes.

However when riding in forests, all routes should be clearly posted open or closed.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
I can't directly answer your question but on Garmin's site some of the mapsets allow you to preview any area you wish. For the 100k TOPO it's on the "Coverage" tab, the map is interactive. Takes a little practice but set to large & high detail you should be able to preview the areas you find lacking.

Also

Not all TOPO's are created equal. I also have an old 100K Topo and was surprised when I bought a Nuvi 500 which comes preloaded with TOPO that only the contour lines and point elevations were included. What I was missing was the "Points of Interest" (POI) database for example mines, springs etc. that are on the standalone CD/DVD.

Bruce
mcnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
DirtyOldMan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Thanks guys, I'll try the preview, didn't see that when I was looking on their site. It's a small thing really, that could be overcome with a simple road map. The routes I've encountered within the NatForest are indeed marked, I just like looking on the GPS and seeing the park boundaries highlighted. It's been working great in AR but I guess this was the first time I tried that in MO.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
It's a small thing really, that could be overcome with a simple road map. The routes I've encountered within the NatForest are indeed marked, I just like looking on the GPS and seeing the park boundaries highlighted.
I have had this problem with military reservations and Wilderness areas in the west. I hand draw a track for the boundary from accurate maps then download track to GPS.