Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I have a KLR650 but have sat on a KLR250 and it wasn't much lower than the 650 in hieght. It is a simple engine and bike, so repairs wouldn't be an issue. I'm sure there are more modern bikes out there in a higher cc range with better horse power ratios. But if you want to fit in, an older more reliable bike in the smaller cc range like you have stated is probably your best bet. Any bke will take you RTW if you look after it.....it's all personal preferance....nothing else.
Take whatever bike you like and just get a taller seat and raise the bars. You should be fine. But wtf do I know, I am a midget compared to you lol
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
davidfrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
Take whatever bike you like and just get a taller seat and raise the bars. You should be fine. But wtf do I know, I am a midget compared to you lol
I like the approach of "do with what you have".
For example a woman friend of mine rode from NYC to Argentina on a... Honda Shadow.
davidfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #18
Teabar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
The Mondo Enduro guys all rode DR350s with minimal issue (height for these addressed earleir in the thread). Check out the review of best choice of bike for RTW by Colebatch of Sibirsky Extreme fame. It's a good article. Hope it helps - http://www.sibirskyextreme.com/2013/...selection-101/

I've always been partial to the XR400r as it's more comfortable than the DRZ400E
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,620
My wife is 5'11" and rides a DR350SE. It has a practical top speed of about 70 mph. It fits her well, and MMoto makes a very heavy duty rack for it. They are in Ukraine, however, so I don't know how much trouble it would be to get one right now.

http://www.mmotoparts.com/

They make racks for other bikes too.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #20
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,154
As another resident goon, I'll chime in. A while back I did a distance trip (relatively speaking) on my wife's WR250R (1400 miles in 10 days with all but a couple hundred off road and I was packed with camping, food, and water for the whole trip) and it was fine. This was on the stock saddle and honestly it wasn't too bad.

I don't weigh too much at ~230 lbs. and 6'7" but with the little bikes, being a sail makes more difference than actual weight. Thus, the lack of displacement can really be a detriment when there is that much surface are killing aerodynamics. I used to get into a race crouch on the WRR and it would gain me a minimum of 5 mph. Also, when elevation comes into play, it hurts yet again.

Now, if your trip will be spent at 50 mph most all the time, who cares. Those bikes are a known quantity by now and have proven stone reliable despite having a good deal of tech compared to a DR or KLR.

The last time I was in Baja a couple old timers were there- one of whom rode his Super Sherpa from WA state and the other was on a TW200. Both were pretty small guys and in no hurry.

So what would I take? I guess it would depend on budget, timeline, and desired course/terrain. Once those get figured out, a bike can be chosen. Personally from all I've seen, for a RTW trip, the bike is the least of your concerns/effort in a trip like that.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #21
davidfrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
The last time I was in Baja a couple old timers were there- one of whom rode his Super Sherpa from WA state and the other was on a TW200. Both were pretty small guys and in no hurry.
I love the TW (for the times when I wish I was shorter) and I second this "when in no hurry" a smaller bike will do the job. I actually dream about doing the GDR on a mountain bike, cause I'm not in a hurry.
davidfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #22
sebanks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
RTW on XL250 -- An Excellent Choice

[QUOTE=pauldelft;21248166]Hi guys,

The more i read forums like adv and hubb, the more i'm convinced a small bike (250cc-450cc) is better for rtw travel (blend in with the locals, better mileage, easier to handle, cheaper carnet etc etc).
I however have a problem - i'm a tall guy (198/6' 6").

What is a suitable bike or easy to adapt bike in this category for a tall guy like me? Eventual plan is to drive from Europe to SA.

Thanks!

Paul[/QUOTE

I'm 6'2". 1985 - 1986 I did an around the world trip -- SE Asia, Australia, India, Africa, Europe on a Honda XL250. Everywhere but Australia and Europe the fastest thing on the road, over the top stupid reliable, light enough to pick up 10 or 20 times in a kilometer on the mud tracks crossing Africa when that's what it takes. I ride a GSA 1200 now, but if I was to do an around the world trip again, it would be on a small displacement 4-stroke air-cooled bike. You want it to be cheap enough that if you have to get on an airplane for whatever reason, major mechanical, disease, local hostilities, you get on the plane and don't look back. People tend to think they need big bikes for these trips when the opposite is true. The trip I did I could not have done on my GSA. And forget about comfort. Whatever bike you choose, you'll get used to it. Although I did have a sheepskin seat cover.... Have fun!

sebanks screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 11:58 AM
sebanks is offline   Reply With Quote