User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
PaleRider OP
gelande/strasse

Oddometer: 9,980
Question 1950's NSU 250

Question: Is there anyone in the USA who is knowledgeable or deals in the restoration of NSU motorcycles?

Why: two stories ...
(1.) I have a neighbor who is German (71 yrs old). When I bought my BMW a while back, he came over to check out the hardware. As anyone who appreciates things machine, he marveled at its beauty. He relayed to me that in the 1950's, before he immigrated to the US, he had a NSU 125. He said he didn't have enough money to buy a BMW, but loved his little NSU. He also relayed that NSU had much success on the Europe race circuits back then ... fond memories and I was glad he shared his stories (there are more) ...

(2.) I was on a ride this weekend that took me through parts Colorado and southern most Wyoming. I stopped to eat at a small Wyoming town and this older gentleman - likely close to 70 - walks up and talks motorcycles. He was in the Army in Germany during the 1950's and had a NSU 250. He brought the little bike back with him and still owns the bike. He hasn't had it running since a car pulled out in front of him in the late 60's and messed up the front fork (which is unique). While we chatted, he thought it would be great to get his bike running again ...

So, I tell him about Bench Mark Works (Sturgis, MS) and Craig V's work on old BMW's. I thought Craig may be a good starting place, thinking that Craig would at least know who has a passion for NSU ...

does anyone have any other leads ... this guy isn't expecting anything else, but I thought if I could help him out he would appreciate it (he was really appreciative of the Craig V tip/"lead") ...

Thanks in advance,

P
Old 07-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
PaleRider OP
gelande/strasse

not sure if it's the correct NSU model/year, but the fork on the bike in the foreground is unique
Old 07-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
PaleRider OP
gelande/strasse

Old 07-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #4
PaleRider OP
gelande/strasse

Old 07-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
PaleRider OP
gelande/strasse

I am liking these little motorcycles ...

Old 07-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
PaleRider OP
gelande/strasse

... something for the scooter set
Old 07-19-2005, 04:11 AM   #7
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,409
My childhood friend next door had a Max,a black one like in the background behind the blue one....We gave that thing heaps,we didn't know shit and caned it to death,he was a big guy and we used it off road two up.It used to spit back on starting and the old Bing would go up in flames so we just blew them out.You couldn't see any springs and it had eccentric camshaft drive....tricky stuff for back then.

It used to smoke a bit then stopped,so that was pretty cool.One day we were at the gas station and I was putting some oil in the tank of my old plunger BSA B31 - ''hey,what are you doing there?''.....'I'm putting some oil in my bike'....''Can I do that too?''.....so we had a look,and sure enough he had an oil tank too,so we put in some oil - then it started to smoke again! ....''Well,I'm not doing that any more! it makes it smoke''...So he didn't put oil in the tank anymore,but we put some outboard oil in the fuel tank just to make sure.Looks like they were pretty tough old things to cope with 16yr olds.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
PaleRider OP
gelande/strasse

Talking bump

whatz a matta U? ... N-S-U !
Old 07-27-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleRider
Question: Is there anyone in the USA who is knowledgeable or deals in the restoration of NSU motorcycles?

(snip)

does anyone have any other leads ... this guy isn't expecting anything else, but I thought if I could help him out he would appreciate it (he was really appreciative of the Craig V tip/"lead") ...

Thanks in advance,

P
Contact John Landstrom at Blue Moon Cycles in Norcross, GA. He's imported and sold a number of them, and either has resto skills in his shop or can broker a contact.

mully
Old 07-27-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
PaleRider OP
gelande/strasse

bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mully
Contact John Landstrom at Blue Moon Cycles in Norcross, GA. He's imported and sold a number of them, and either has resto skills in his shop or can broker a contact.

mully
thanks Mully !!!

Old 10-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
quebecnsu
n00b

Oddometer: 1
i've got a 241cc 1951 cc nsu like the blue one on the picture (rear)
can someone can give me more info about this bike,

best regards
André
ar-brush@globetrotter.net
quebecnsu is offline   Reply With Quote