Oddometer: 1,038
Quite a place in it's day

Great RR
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #47
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
yes, and it still is.Just in a diferent way.
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #48
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

QUACK

QUACK QUACK

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

The dam duck woke me up 5 in the morning. I closed the window but that just made him annoyed and he put even more effort into it. I manage to get a bit more sleep while the Donald Duck was quacking outside.
Still a little tired i got back on the bike and set off towards the south coast. The dam duck laughing as i set off.

I did not have much expectations for this day. No plans but reaching Mahmutlar 10 kilometers south of Alanya, where my step dad where waiting for me. Wife and daughter would arrive the day after by airplane.

But what a surprise. The motorway south from Bilecik towards Antalya was a pleasant one. The scenery where constant changing, mostly there where high mountains to the left and right and the road where snaking its way south. No tight corners or anything that demanded high skill. But it was more a high speed touring road that was a great joy compared to the straight motorways.

Sadly it looks like there is plans to replace this road and they where building lots of tunnels parallel to the road i where riding. Some time in the future I suppose these curves will be gone and replaced by tunnels. These roads made it hard to obey the speed limits, my bike wanted to stretch his legs. In a 50 km/h speed limit sone a police car caught up with me and when the speed limit returned to 110 i slowed down to let him pass so i could stay behind him. All the way he was going faster the the limit and after a little while we came to a 50 km/h sone. I slowed down to 80 and the police car disappeared. I don't think he slowed down at all. This would never happen in Norway. If I did 90 in a 50 sone in Norway i would go directly to jail, and not receive money even if i passed start.

After a while i stopped for gas.. but there where none. Only diesel. But they had food and i ate a salami dish that tasted surprisingly good.

I continued on and stopped at the next service station. Here they did have gas and two youngsters working there rushed over to help me. I think that if i had arrived in a UFO and asked them to fill up my UFO they would not been more impressed. One of the kids where filling up my bike the other where pointing to different parts of the bike and ask questions. I did not understand anything as he only spoke Turk and i don't, but it was clear what he was asking about. How fast, from where, what is the gps, what is the camera mount and so on. After a few minutes someone came and chased him away.
At a later stop where i wanted something to drink it was the same story. Kids and adults staring at the big bike. Looks like big bikes are rare in Turkey.

I was also pulled over by the police and i did not understand why because i was sure i at the moment had not done anything wrong. I felt sorry for him when I saw the disappointed look in his face, he realized that i did not speak turk and he did not speak english. I bet he was thinking; Oh no why did i pick this guy. But after a while we did manage and all he wanted was paperwork. My papers made him happy and soon i where free to go. I asked if i could have a picture of the two of us and this really set the mood. He looked over at his boss in the police car and he nodded yes. Now they where laughing and smiling. And the senior police officer that took the pictures would not stop snapping pictures before he had 10 of them.

Nice guys, i hope the next one they pull over is as nice as i where.

The weather where getting worse and soon it was raining heavy.

The temperatures where still good but the biggest problem was that the road where very slippery when wet. Coming from Norway I'm used to ride in rain, but the road surface is very different here and i had to take more care.

The whole way I had been riding between impressive mountains but as i where getting closer to the south coast i started to climb the Taurus mountains.

The Taurus mountain range is a chain of impressive jagged mountains, with peaks rising above 3,000–3,700 stretching most of the south coast of Turkey. Some of the valleys have very narrow openings in both ends. Today i had the luxury of entering the valley thru a tunnel. And it made me think about what i must have been like when the valley was first discovered and the only way into it where up a 9 feet wide gorge. The mountains otherwise impassable. Not strange that there are folk lore stories about tribes living in hidden valleys.

Its hard to see but there is a narrow gorge leading into the next valley.

Here is another gorge leading out of the valley, but now blocked by a hydro electric dam.
Exiting this last valley I could look down on the sunny and green south coast. This stretch of plains along the coast is very green compared to the rest of Turkey i had seen. The Taurus mountains causes it to rain more on this side then on the north side. And there is many farms here. But they are getting replaced more and more by the Turkish tourist industry.
It was strange to after riding for a week suddenly come to a place i knew well. I have traveld to this areal for 9 years, but never before arriving on a bike.

Who said the car was to small?

Some other bikers
Two hours laters i reached my final designation. I had a look at the beaches, and im not normally a beach person but today they where tempting.

As any true ADV adventure mine have a camel in it to... But did not get a good picture as it cost 2Euros to take one.

A couple of minutes later i parked at our apartment.

This is when i noticed that one of the brackets holding the windscreen had snapped.

Needed to fix that in some way. The bike also needed a oil change and som tlc. I will sort that tomorrow as now it was time for a steak dinner.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #49
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Really enjoying sharing your trip,keep it all coming.Thanks.
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #50
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyore View Post
Really enjoying sharing your trip,keep it all coming.Thanks.

Thanx. Nice to know someone is reading. Hope my poor english is not to anoying.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #51
IDRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
What a great adventure. Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #52
Clansters
Tour Aegea

Oddometer: 209
Congrats! Great story, great family and a great bike.
Just make sure that you open all your senses while riding in Turkey. Traffic and people are getting more and more inconsiderate day by day. Never trust the roundabouts and always watch your back.
Subscribed, keep writing
Clansters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #53
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next day i wanted to see if i could get a oil change. Coming into Alanya i had noticed a Kawasaki dealer so i went back there. The dealer explained that the workshop was at another location but he would make a call. A couple of minutes later a kid on a scooter showed up and guided me to the shop.
We had a little language barrier but in the end we agreed on hat they would do a full service, witch included a oil change and a wash. I had brought a oil filter with me from back home. Total cost 300 lira (about 120 euro) The oil alone would have cost me that back home. And the owner of the shop took me back to our apartment and picked me up 4 hours later when it was done.
The bike looked brand new. Don't think I have ever seen it so shiny before.

That evening my wife and daughter arrived, and I was finally able to share my travel with them. But whatever i told them they already knew. They had read it on the ADV forum of course, and enjoyed that very much. It was great to have them with me again, even if it was just for a few days. We would share 6 whole days before we say goodbye to Turkey again. They will fly back on saturday. and i will leave a couple hours before them with course for Kas and Dickyb.

The next few days we spent hanging out at the pool. The girls did some shopping. And i could finally have my Adana kebab. My favorite Turkish dish.
My daughter brought a helmet with her from Norway and we did manage to go into town once. She love riding and I am glad we manage to get one small ride together.
I did a local ride and set off to explore the Taurus mountains again.

Headding into the clouds.
I had found a what looked like a nice round trip on the map turned out to be a littler longer then i tough it would be. But it was a nice ride. And breath taking views all around. It was a great road with ok quality surface but you don't want to take any chances here.

One mistake and you will not land until tomorrow. Some places there was what a 1000 meter drop and nothing between you and the drop.

Sadly on the way back it started to rain and i hit some low clouds, giving me a terrible visibility.

My bike don't look so clean any more. There where lots of roadworks and some parts the road was turned into mud 4 inches deep. I might need to give it a quick cleaning at some point. to get the worst sand off.

Tomorrow we are celebrating the Norwegian national day here. There are so many Norwegians here that its unbelievable. I think its a little stupid to travel here and then eat Norwegian food. But one singe day i guess is ok. At least for the kids that spend there holidays here and don't get to celebrate 17 may at home.

JohnnyTh screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 03:34 AM
Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #54
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Talking Great report! Thanks for letting us ride with you!

JohnnyTH,
Love your report! Glad to see a bike like yours on a long trip, touring and camping. Your writing style is great and don't worry about your English! It's fine and is 1.000.000 x better than almost all Americans can write Norwegian! Looking forward to reading your next entries!!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #55
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you. We are busy celebrating norwegian constiutional day. Happy birthday to any norwegians reading. Hope i can post some more pictures from here tomorrow. Need to borrow a pc as the card reader for my ipad gave up on me and need to borrow a pc to do pictures. Guess i need a new cardreader
Old 05-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #56
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,393
Thanks for the updates and beautiful history of the area. Loved the two tone shorts on the one lady. ;-) Keep it coming,

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #57
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a few more pictures to share from the last few days.

This is the guys that cleaned my bike.

Guess that many where needed to get it clean

Some pictures from the local marked

Oh right supposed to be bike related, il get back to that now.

Lots of motorbikes here but not the type we normally see back home.

Also the Kanuni is popular around here.

This must be the car of the coolest guy in town

It have been warm, even the dog was hot.

Dont worry, its not dead

Picture from our flat. The guy in the ladder on the firetruck is hanging up flags. Decorating for the Norwegian constitutional day.

My daughter finally got to ride a camel.

But she prefers to hang out on the beach i think.

Dont park to close to this building

JohnnyTh screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 01:02 PM
Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #58
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i also have a few more pictures from my ride up into the mountains.

Low cost mosk

I was running low so glad i found this guy. When i asked to take his picture he made sure his hat was straight

Not sure what this is used for

Reached the goal for this trip. 1925 meter above sea. But it was cold and wet

Last time i was here it looked like a dessert. Guess they had more rain this year.

Local farmers

This was the visibility going back down
Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #59
2WheelieADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Just stunning! Thanks for sharing.
2WheelieADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #60
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo