User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Wildabeast OP
Wide Open

Oddometer: 242
KLR650 Tires. Talk to me.

I've wrapped my rims with two sets of TKC80's and hovered on the checkout button for a third set before deciding I'd swing over here.

I could probably dig, and dig, and hunt around and find a million threads discussing tires, but I just want know straight up from you guys. What else have you run on yours?

I ride mostly street. But then I'll get into situations where I am up to the pipe in water and roosting mud 50 ft in the air chasing buddies through the woods. The TKC80 has performed when I've needed it to in all of these situations.

I have just about 5-6k on this current set and they are threadbare. Can't ride safely until new rubber arrives.

So, I'm ready for suggestions.

Thanks!
Wildabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
well it sounds like you should stick with a knobby then. better to have it when you need it i suppose... tkc80 or d606.

have you run the dunlops before? friends that have run both say they are better than the continentals. i personally have only rode irc gp1s, which are a great 50/50 but will leave you spinning in mud, and d606's which are mediocre at best on pavement but outstanding off road. you probably wont get 5k out of them though.
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildabeast View Post
I've wrapped my rims with two sets of TKC80's and hovered on the checkout button for a third set before deciding I'd swing over here.

I could probably dig, and dig, and hunt around and find a million threads discussing tires, but I just want know straight up from you guys. What else have you run on yours?

I ride mostly street. But then I'll get into situations where I am up to the pipe in water and roosting mud 50 ft in the air chasing buddies through the woods. The TKC80 has performed when I've needed it to in all of these situations.

I have just about 5-6k on this current set and they are threadbare. Can't ride safely until new rubber arrives.

So, I'm ready for suggestions.

Thanks!
IRC TR8 Battle Rally front and Kenda K270 rear in a big size.

The inexpensive K270 rear does over 10K miles for some people on 650 thumpers, and the rears are fairly aggressive in the larger sizes.

The IRC TR8 looks like a D606 got it's shwerve on with a TKC80, and what popped out was less expensive than either. It can be flipped around to get even more miles out of it. Bike Bandit seems to have them for a decent price.

Kommando screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 08:14 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Have you considered a second set of wheels?
I'd do one with the TKC80, they're really good and the second one with a street or a mixed tyre, like the Metzeler Tourance.
Have both sets equipped with brake discs and it's a 15 minutes swap.
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I was thinking more like a second bike then a second set of wheels and tires. I've ridden my KLR's off road (sand, rocks, deep water, etc.) with my riding buddies and I never considered it a nice day's ride. As much as I like the KLR, I try to ride it where I don't have to pick it up more that riding it. True though, tires are everything where you are riding at the time, just many times you have the wrong tire on the bike.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,294
I had the same conversation with myself, and decided a set of wheels with TCKs and another with Distanzas or similar would be great . . . .

I then found out how proud many folks are of heir wheels . . . .you know, they hate to sell the family heirloom, but will make up for the shame by charging the world for em ;-}
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
I've been using Shinko 705's,the price is right,they last well,and go about anywhere I wanna go on the KLR.A friend I ride with used D606'S and those things bit well on everything,he was riding a XR600.I would like to try TKC's but the wear to price ratio seems out of whack.Im doing good with Shinko products.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
Have you considered a second set of wheels?
I'd do one with the TKC80, they're really good and the second one with a street or a mixed tyre, like the Metzeler Tourance.
Have both sets equipped with brake discs and it's a 15 minutes swap.
+1 on that idea. I keep waiting until until my rims get damaged enough to warrant getting another set, then using the OEMs as my dirt TkC/D606 wheels.

Gotta say the OEMs are pretty good rims though, spokes too.

Anyway... the TKCs are the best tire but..only for the first 3500 km (2000 miles)
After that they are no better than Kendas, Dunlops or Bridgestones IMO

Dying to try the Heindeau's however. Lots of good reviews from other riders.
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
jrs1899
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I have Michelin Anakee II on mine and realy like them. I ride mostly street but have followed 250s in my dual sport club all over the NC mountains off road.
jrs1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
D606's scared the sh*t out of me on the road. TKC's much better but just don't last long enough..

Shinko 244's were OK but not up to snuff either on or off road.

Tried Duro's. When new, they were great for street, marginal for dirt. But the front wore really odd and I was ready to junk them long before they were actually worn out.

Got Kenda 270's now. Really good off-road but front is to square for the road. And slippery. Rear acceptable on road, but still not confidence inspiring.

Sooo, my next trial will either be the Heindeau or possibly Shinko 705's, or maybe a mix of both!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
705's MR Mac,give them a try.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
I am running 606's now, don't like 'em on the road and no better than T63's off road. T63's... half the price of 606's and for the type of dirt and terrain we have around here, a better tire. I don't concern myself much with wear ratios, T63's wear a bit faster because they are a softer compound, hence the better on road performance but at 125.00 a pair delivered to my door, I cant bitch.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
I'm running Mefo Explorers on my KLE500 [same wheels/suspension etc. as the KLR, but with a twin cylinder engine and six speed box and a pissy little 15 litre fuel tank ].

They are working very well and the rear tyre is going to last at least 15,000 km.

On my Wee-Strom I'm running the Mitas E07 on the rear and a Mefo Explorer on the front [both tyre brands are very compatible with each other], the rear Mitas E07 is going to last about 25,000 km before it needs replacing.

I ran M21 rear and D606 front on my [now sold] KLR, I did not like them on the tar at all, on the dirt was good but wear rates were only fair.

When I wear out the tyres on the KLE I'm going with the Mitas E07 for the next set, although I would also happily put the Mefo Explorers back on again if the Mitas aren't in stock at the time.

Both brands are substantially cheaper than the Hiedenau K60 here in Oz.

The Dunlop D605's are good as well but I wore out the rear in around 5,000 km.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,656
Love my D606 tires. no problems for me on-road, and they are great off-road.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
KickStart1
Lurking,with intent

Oddometer: 193
T-63's

T-63's, works for me and my 06 Killer
KickStart1 is offline   Reply With Quote