Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Hawk OP
Bainned

Oddometer: 16,702
Lowsiding ROCKS!

Give me a lowside any day of the week.

Went down today at between 50 and 60 MPH, last curvey road of a 3700 mile trip, I left Huntsville last Thursday and returned today. I went no where, but I traveled everywhere. At no time was I more then 350 miles from my apartment. But, I spent hours and hours alone on the best roads in NC, GA, TN, and W VA.

I was about 70 miles from home today, it had been raining but had stopped. I had one last road with decent curves to ride. I took off after stopping for fuel and to put the covers on my bags. I made it about 2 miles when I first felt my tires (TKCs) slide. I slowed down, but it would appear not enough. As I entered the left hander I tought to myself, this looks slick. Sure enough the front end folded. We went down, I still had the handle bars in my hands. I heard the engine race and thought "let go of the FUC*ING bike you dumb ass" I did and it slid away. The bike slid about 70 yards, I slid maybe 50. We both ended up on the side of the road.

The bike was pointed down hill on her left side, have you ever tried to pick up a loaded KTM 950? How about when it is loaded? They are heavy bastards. Well I got the bike upright, then a gentleman stopped and helped me to get the bike back on the road. He did his level headed best to get me to convert and save my soul there on the side of the road. I was busy thanking Larry Goldfine (of Aerostich) and not payine him much mind.

The damage, on me NOTHING, not even a bruise. The Stich, and Combat Lites did as advertised, the Joe Rocket gloves I was wearing held up except for the left glove now has 2 holes in the palm, but NO holes in my hand.

The bike, has beaut marks on both sides now. I need a new mirror on the left and a choke lever/clutch master cylinder cover. Other then that, my Gobis took a beating but a little JB Weld and they are new.

I will take a lowside any day, it is those high sides that hurt.

John
Old 10-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
tincan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Truly, attitude is everything. Glad you are all good.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Hawk OP
Bainned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan
Truly, attitude is everything. Glad you are all good.
Once I got the bike started, I rode with the same abandon as before the lowside. Those are so simple, with good gear it matters not. Run to the bike pick it up and carry on.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
G-Force Junkie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Indeed. I've lowsided sport bikes on the track, and the street at various speeds with no injurys. Getting highsided over the bars...that hurt a bit more
G-Force Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
hammerwoman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Yup, sliding down the front straight at NHIS on my butt, thinking, "This ain't so bad. . . "
'05 KTM 200 EXC two strokes rock
'79 Yamaha SR500 vintage racer taking shape
hammerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Tis better to low side and ride again than to high side and fly through the air.

Glad you are OK John.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #7
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,787
Yowza! Great spirit! Those 950's are tough. You can throw em off a cliff and ride back up to the top. Glad you rode away- briskly.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Hawk OP
Bainned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Tis better to low side and ride again than to high side and fly through the air.

Glad you are OK John.
Thanks Steve, I really did not get a scratch or bruise. Was a easy get off. Unlike that highside I had 3 years ago. As you said those HURT!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Once I got the bike started, I rode with the same abandon as before the lowside. Those are so simple, with good gear it matters not. Run to the bike pick it up and carry on.
You fucking moron. Picture this: You're riding along on a public road with the same "abandon" and enter a right-hander a little hot. The front end folds, as you so eloquently put it. That's the instant you notice the cage (or worse, a fellow ADV rider) coming around the corner, and your little 950 500 pound projectile is on a dead on intercept trajectory. With good gear you become encased in nothing more than a body bag after the front tire of that Chevy K2500 diesel rolls over you as the terrified occupants look on.

Learn from your ass hattery. You're not the only one on the fucking road.

Moron.

That said, yes a lowside can be fun. Don't tempt fate though. It'll find you.

ROM
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
vanishingpoint
CYAwouldn'twannaBYA

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Give me a lowside any day of the week.

Went down today at between 50 and 60 MPH, last curvey road of a 3700 mile trip, I left Huntsville last Thursday and returned today. I went no where, but I traveled everywhere. At no time was I more then 350 miles from my apartment. But, I spent hours and hours alone on the best roads in NC, GA, TN, and W VA.

I was about 70 miles from home today, it had been raining but had stopped. I had one last road with decent curves to ride. I took off after stopping for fuel and to put the covers on my bags. I made it about 2 miles when I first felt my tires (TKCs) slide. I slowed down, but it would appear not enough. As I entered the left hander I tought to myself, this looks slick. Sure enough the front end folded. We went down, I still had the handle bars in my hands. I heard the engine race and thought "let go of the FUC*ING bike you dumb ass" I did and it slid away. The bike slid about 70 yards, I slid maybe 50. We both ended up on the side of the road.

The bike was pointed down hill on her left side, have you ever tried to pick up a loaded KTM 950? How about when it is loaded? They are heavy bastards. Well I got the bike upright, then a gentleman stopped and helped me to get the bike back on the road. He did his level headed best to get me to convert and save my soul there on the side of the road. I was busy thanking Larry Goldfine (of Aerostich) and not payine him much mind.

The damage, on me NOTHING, not even a bruise. The Stich, and Combat Lites did as advertised, the Joe Rocket gloves I was wearing held up except for the left glove now has 2 holes in the palm, but NO holes in my hand.

The bike, has beaut marks on both sides now. I need a new mirror on the left and a choke lever/clutch master cylinder cover. Other then that, my Gobis took a beating but a little JB Weld and they are new.

I will take a lowside any day, it is those high sides that hurt.

John

Wow!!!Lowsliding rocks!!!! When's your next workshop?
Always wanted to feel the exiliration of my 450 lb bike tearing down the asphalt, emitting a shower of sparks, with me close behind!

Seriously, glad you didn't hurt anyone or yourself.
I'm guessing your age to be 21. Been there long ago.....
vanishingpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #11
InsuredDisaster
Sam's Summer Camp

Oddometer: 1,624
I'm not sure I would be tearing around corners when the roads are wet. Glad you are ok, but maybe you should take it a bit easier?

I'm going with about 25 or higher for the age.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #12
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Indeed. I've lowsided sport bikes on the track, and the street at various speeds with no injurys. Getting highsided over the bars...that hurt a bit more
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
I'm stoked about any situation I can ride away from.

Hell, if I beefed at speed and walked away with only some scuffs and a scratched steed, I'd be stoked too.

So yeah, I can see why one would cheer a lowside.

Oh, there are the wailing Jennies who might decry such emotion after a wreck: "you coulda... you mighta..." Screw it. Wrecks happen on bikes- it's a fact. Any day your ticket's not punched for the trauma ward or the netherworld- I'd say that's a good day.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
InsuredDisaster
Sam's Summer Camp

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses

Hell, if I beefed at speed and walked away with only some scuffs and a scratched steed, I'd be stoked too.

Good point.

What's the age? Place your bets now!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses

Oh, there are the wailing Jennies who might decry such emotion after a wreck: "you coulda... you mighta..." Screw it. Wrecks happen on bikes- it's a fact. Any day your ticket's not punched for the trauma ward or the netherworld- I'd say that's a good day.
I've been where he was; I've slid out too. The difference is that I learned from it... Judging by post 3, he'll be posting a new thread in faceplant soon. Hopefully it won't be from the ICU...
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote